Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still need to watch late next week.

Might have multiple shots at something. That trough is ridiculous. EPS is 3 sigma trough over the lakes at 144 hours...that’s hard to get on an ensemble mean at day 6. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

51 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Wpc has a big cutter into the lakes early week.  Does that trend east or does that feed Blau king for late week?

Nah the cutter precedes the trough...we prob have a couple shots in the d6-10 range though. Extremely anomalous. We’ll see if the look moderates or not. 

• Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Paul might get his high risk in the south.. 45 percent hatched day 3.. 

High risk is possible but I still think there are a few things that could negate a high risk...or negate a very significant event from unfolding. It's rather difficult to really portray what I'm trying to say b/c I think a significant event does unfold but I guess it's do we see numerous tornadoes with several long-tracked tornadoes or is it predominately a damaging wind event with several tornadoes? Obviously a large scale widespread damaging wind event can still result in a high risk verification and I think that is possible here. 

But two things that stand out to me are;

1) Weakening EML

2) Perhaps widespread convective debris

3) Not so favorable llvl lapse rates 

But given the forcing aloft, dynamics, and degree of moisture return a significant and long persisting squall line is quite likely...maybe derecho like. But the lack of an EML may prevent discrete supercells from being the overall game mode...perhaps many initial supercells but congealing into multiple lines. Could be war of updrafts  

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I don't need the hand from the sky to take a dump on my newly sprouting peas and spinach.

Biggest danger might be to early blooming fruit trees...esp in SNE though parts of CNE may have had some early action on those trees. There are going to be some really hard freezes if that airmass is anything close to progged. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Biggest danger might be to early blooming fruit trees...esp in SNE though parts of CNE may have had some early action on those trees. There are going to be some really hard freezes if that airmass is anything close to progged. 

no greeen showing yet on my peach trees.  I really don't want that kind of freeze - climo says it backs off.  The hope is thatthere is enought wind at night, which has saved us before.

49 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

High risk is possible but I still think there are a few things that could negate a high risk...or negate a very significant event from unfolding. It's rather difficult to really portray what I'm trying to say b/c I think a significant event does unfold but I guess it's do we see numerous tornadoes with several long-tracked tornadoes or is it predominately a damaging wind event with several tornadoes? Obviously a large scale widespread damaging wind event can still result in a high risk verification and I think that is possible here. 

But two things that stand out to me are;

1) Weakening EML

2) Perhaps widespread convective debris

3) Not so favorable llvl lapse rates 

But given the forcing aloft, dynamics, and degree of moisture return a significant and long persisting squall line is quite likely...maybe derecho like. But the lack of an EML may prevent discrete supercells from being the overall game mode...perhaps many initial supercells but congealing into multiple lines. Could be war of updrafts  

if this goes signifcant damaging wind event with several embedded tornadoes do you think it could be an even more volatile setup for that than 1/10-1/11?

4 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

if this goes signifcant damaging wind event with several embedded tornadoes do you think it could be an even more volatile setup for that than 1/10-1/11?

That's a great question. I don't think this will be any more volatile than that event but could be similar in magnitude, but displaced a bit farther west. Although one thing to keep in mind too is foliage...much more foliage now than January and that could produce more in the way of tree damage. I really don't think the full extent of the tornado potential will be known until late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.