• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    samithdfm
    Newest Member
    samithdfm

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

doesn't covid itself cause blood clots in a significant number of people?

yes

• Like 1

From the Mayo Clinic:

COVID-19 vaccine myths debunked

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/featured-topic/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked

Myth: I won't need to wear a mask after I get vaccinated for COVID-19.

Fact: It may take time for everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccination to get one. Also, while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others. Until more is understood about how well the vaccine works, continuing with precautions such as mask-wearing and physical distancing will be important.

16 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Buffalo Bills are doing passports for full capacity this fall

This is the best news I've heard in awhile. I have a few anti vaxxer friends with seasons. I bet they are going to get counterfeit passports. Anyway to prevent that from happening? Similar to fake ids. 

Also, if in fact Michigan has reached its peak in COVID cases with this surge, IMO increasing the vaccine supply to the state really wouldn't make a difference at this point. Too little, too late. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Also, if in fact Michigan has reached its peak in COVID cases with this surge, IMO increasing the vaccine supply to the state really wouldn't make a difference at this point. Too little, too late. 

That's the bad thing about this virus. By the time you recognize the surge it's already too late

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

That's the bad thing about this virus. By the time you recognize the surge it's already too late

Yep.

Then the other thing too is, it's not that states aren't getting enough vaccine doses, but rather they are still suffering from the lack of staff / volunteers to support with the vaccinations, as well as easily accessible sites where individuals can go to be vaccinated. I know someone in Michigan who tried getting an appointment for days. They were eventually able to get one, but not without going through a hell of a time. 

Given the situation and the choices available, I do think the Biden's administration's response to instead help Michigan distribute the supply it already has faster (by sending more vaccinators) was the right answer. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

364F3188-8454-474D-A5AB-F52312C0429E.png

That's pretty gross hyperbole, and unhelpful IMO.

The CDC and FDA (two government agencies that were created for the sole purpose of helping to ensure the medical products we use are safe) are doing the responsible thing and asking state to pause the vaccinations just to be certain there isn't a deeper issue with the J&J vaccine that would require more research and correction. 

If this form of due dillegence delays our mission for a few more days, then so be it. In the grand scheme of things, given this pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year, that's hardly a long time. 

Please correct me if Im wrong. But doesn’t birth control cause a number of women to develop blood clots. I read that its 1 - 1000 women.... Thats substantially higher than the risk associated with the JJ vax. Wow @ the FDA for yanking this so fast. Im puzzled as to why. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

That's pretty gross hyperbole, and unhelpful IMO.

The CDC and FDA (two government agencies that were created for the sole purpose of helping to ensure the medical products we use are safe) are doing the responsible thing and pausing the vaccinations just to be certain there isn't a deeper issue with the J&J vaccine that would require more research and correction. 

If that delays things for a few more days, then so be it. In the grand scheme of things, given this pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year, that's hardly a long time. 

Zero risk is impossible. Right? Im not defending the tweet either. But it seems odd. Honestly 

7 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Zero risk is impossible. Right? 

If this pause can help them discover ways to decrease risk from (just using random numbers I pulled out of thin air) 2% to 1%, or ensure the risk isn't greater than originally judged, that's a good thing IMO.

Just now, Powerball said:

If this pause can help him discover ways to decrease risk from (just using random numbers I pulled out of thin air) 2% to 1%, or ensure that risk isn't greater than originally judged, that's a good thing. 

People are dying out there man. Covid is posing a substantially higher risk than (currently) 1 - 1000000 women developing blood clots. Actually, I have to defend Silvers Tweet. He’s right, statistically yanking this vaccine is deadly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

People are dying out there man. Covid is posing a substantially higher risk than (currently) 1 - 1000000 women developing blood clots. Actually, I have to defend Silvers Tweet. He’s right, statistically yanking this vaccine is deadly. 

People have been dying out there for well over a year. A brief pause to ensure the vaccine is as safe as it possibly can be makes little difference.

And let's be clear. It's not like the government has banned the vaccine or is coming in to confiscate the supplies that have already been distributed. Once they complete their review, if all checks out, states can go right back to injecting people immediately. 

EDIT: And another point. This has no impact on the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines which are still being given to people as we type. 

6 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

If it was the only vaccine I'd agree with you. But there's 2 other vaccines with ample supply. The pause probably won't be very long. 

In the mean time, the people who are unhappy about the developments with the J&J vaccine and others not getting vaccinated quick enough need to keep doing what the CDC has recommended since the beginning of the pandemic (and as well as encouraging others to do the same):

*Maintain 6 feet distance from other individuals

*Wear a mask at all times around other people when outside your home

*Don't attend medium / large gatherings

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is the best news I've heard in awhile. I have a few anti vaxxer friends with seasons. I bet they are going to get counterfeit passports. Anyway to prevent that from happening? Similar to fake ids. 

I'm surprised they're not allowing the option of being tested. Of course some states are banning vaccine passports completely, but for ones that will allow them most of the talk for big venues is that they'll give the option of providing a negative test. This with the Buffalo Bills doesn't seem fair at all because there are people that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons. It's ridiculous if they don't allow the negative test option. Terrible that people will be excluded. Talk about discrimination.

Hopefully they will not go this far for the venues that I go to, Citi Field and Madison Square Garden. So far all indications are that they will continue to allow the negative test option for those venues. If that changes, I might be forced to get vaccinated. Although I am still considering vaccination anyway, despite all my talk here that I would be concerned about taking the tiny risk of vaccination causing some kind of reaction. I could get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine and tell them they have to watch me for a half hour rather than the 15 minutes, since I have a history of bad allergic reactions. I might do this if it looks as if there's gonna be discrimination against non vaccinated people, but I am ok with large venues requiring vaccination as long as they also allow the negative test option.

Let me also say that I find it pretty funny that Bills QB Josh Allen says he might not want a vaccine and doesn't believe in any kind of vaccine mandate, yet a vaccine mandate is going to be in place for Bills fans. I'm sure he's not too happy about this.

3 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

It's true though. Infectious diseases literally evolve to infect you -to use your body as a host- and you think eating your veggies will stop a severe disease from rocking your world?

Look, my statement was a bit hyperbolized. Of course, being healthy is a must. Obviously, fat people will die at far greater rates from most diseases. But there comes a certain point on the healthiness scale, where no matter how much good food you eat, it won't help you any more. Your immune system is either impaired, or it isn't. And sure, exercise will lead to greater amounts of immune factors and all that, but all the same, it irks me when people say that eating right and being healthy will save you. It won't. 

But evidence has shown that for a lot of people it will, right? Not just diet and exercise, but the benefits of that, considered obesity is the number one comorbidity of covid? I’m not saying people should exercise instead of getting the vaccine. But there would be a lot less dead people from Covid in the western world if there a lot less fat people.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Let me also say that I find it pretty funny that Bills QB Josh Allen says he might not want a vaccine and doesn't believe in any kind of vaccine mandate, yet a vaccine mandate is going to be in place for Bills fans. I'm sure he's not too happy about this.

Now that's something I have an issue with. Two different sets of rules...

Hopefully, if the fans are mandated to be vaccinated, the players are as well. 

6 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

But evidence has shown that for a lot of people it will, right? Not just diet and exercise, but the benefits of that, considered obesity is the number one comorbidity of covid? I’m not saying people should exercise instead of getting the vaccine. But there would be a lot less dead people from Covid in the western world if there a lot less fat people.  

I think I'm conveying my point very poorly here. I agree that being a healthy weight will definitely help you out. But when people say that eating healthy and exercising are the equivalent of medical healthcare -as in, you can simply rely on eating and exercising to stave off diseases- that's just stupid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Now that's something I have an issue with. Two different sets of rules...

Hopefully, if the fans are mandated to be vaccinated, the players are as well. 

The NFL has already said that players will not be mandated to get the vaccine. So what Buffalo is doing is very unfair. They should at least give the option of providing a negative test for fans that are not vaccinated.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

The NFL has already said that players will not be mandated to get the vaccine. So what Buffalo is doing is very unfair. They should at least give the option of providing a negative test for fans that are not vaccinated.

Yeah, that's some BS. 

27 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I think I'm conveying my point very poorly here. I agree that being a healthy weight will definitely help you out. But when people say that eating healthy and exercising are the equivalent of medical healthcare -as in, you can simply rely on eating and exercising to stave off diseases- that's just stupid. 

Eating healthy and exercising does help stave off many medical diseases ... that is medical fact. Even Covid. I posted a new study here yesterday that showed that people that were normal body weight and had high levels of good HDL cholesterol caught Covid at lower rates than people that were obese and had type 2 diabetes. I certainly am not suggesting that most people should not get the Covid vaccine. Covid is here and majority of people in this country are at high risk (heck 70% of people are overweight/obese). It's very important for most people to get vaccinated. I'm just saying that for people that have to wait to get vaccinated or plan to not get vaccinated, getting into better shape is critical to reduce risk. The first Covid wave last spring was an unexpected shock, but if people had put in effort to get into better shape over the summer there certainly would have been many less deaths during the Covid wave during the Fall/Winter. We know for a fact that being obese is the #1 Covid death risk factor, other than being elderly. People that eat healthy and exercise get severely ill and die from Covid at much lower rates, so it's an important thing to do. Of course it's important for many other things as well, like preventing heart disease.

43 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

He's already suffering from CTE. RIP.

• Like 2

Given that testing has gone down and the numbers up like they are, I'm going to go ahead and say the forth wave has officially started. How bad this wave gets will be very telling 

After all my talk of of how important it is to eat healthy and exercise, I'm leaving now to go to The Cheesecake Factory to eat dinner and dessert. LOL. But yes, you can cheat once a week or so as long as you eat healthy most of the time. I'm not a believer in being overly strict with diet ... you have to enjoy some unhealthy foods from time to time!  Everyone have a swell night.

5 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

I'm not afraid of contracting the disease because I already had it and it had almost no impact on me. All I had was a scratchy throat, a slight headache and a little congestion. So I'm not a dumbass ... I already know how my body reacted to the virus. Both my cardiologist and primary care doctor told me my chance of getting severely ill from Covid is almost zero because my heart/lungs and immune system are much stronger than average people. My resting heart rate is 36, which is very rare, and my cardiologist told me that my heart and lungs are stronger than most 18 year old athletes even though I'm in my 40s. Different runners have different fitness levels. Not all runners are extremely fit. Some have lower to moderate moderate fitness levels. Don't act as if you know what everyone's risk level is.

So yes, I am more worried about the vaccine than I am of Covid. And I'd rather die from being struck by lightning than a blood clot from a vaccine. When you take a vaccine you're doing something that's supposed to protect you, so imagine dying from it instead. To me that's the worst type of tragedy there is, except for being murdered. So I am not ok with even the tiniest chance of something happening from the vaccine. I do all this work (exercise) to keep myself in top shape, so I'd much rather rely on the natural protection. If I wasn't at extremely low Covid risk, I'm sure I would feel differently and get the vaccine. These vaccines are a great thing. I just think the very small percentage of people that are at super low Covid risk due to being athletes can not get the vaccine and it can be considered a reasonable decision. A lot of baseball teams right now are having a hard time getting to 85% vaccination which would take away restrictions. That's because there are plenty of athletes like me that don't want the vaccine. The decision should be respected.

Enough with your resting heart rate bullshit, even if any of this is true, Covid doesn't care and you could easily get extremely sick. Just because you think you are healthy doesn't my you are superhuman. I get tired of you bringing up your personal heart rate as if that is a way to wash away your terrible positions with respect to covid. You have been doing this now for months and it is just as stupid now as it was then.