• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ISeekSnow
    Newest Member
    ISeekSnow

16 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Are we really going to ignore obesity rates and how that has played into all of this?

Agreed.  It's been said many times, this should be a wake-up call to those not practicing a healthy lifestyle.  Some just want to ignore that and point fingers at other things. 

• Weenie 1

Being fat is a part of the problem.

fwiw, you can probably add 100000 onto China's final current number. Still like the rest of Asia, blows the "west" away.

13 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Being fat is a part of the problem.

fwiw, you can probably add 100000 onto China's final current number. Still like the rest of Asia, blows the "west" away.

China probably has one of the lowest obesity rates on earth. I'm sure their tally is a total lie though.

COVID just gave many people on the brink a little nudge off the cliff.

• Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, Jonger said:

China probably has one of the lowest obesity rates on earth. I'm sure their tally is a total lie though.

This is not supported by the data. An estimated 2.5 million life years lost in the United States so far and counting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/health/coronavirus-statistics-deaths.html

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Agreed.  It's been said many times, this should be a wake-up call to those not practicing a healthy lifestyle.  Some just want to ignore that and point fingers at other things. 

Maybe because there are other things? Yes, obesity increases your risk for a lot of things, no doubt. But it's not like it's just obese people lying in the ICUs or worse. It's not like previously healthy people aren't getting seriously ill. So going too far on this end of the argument just becomes too much of a convenient generalization (no doubt used to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Maybe because there are other things? Yes, obesity increases your risk for a lot of things, no doubt. But it's not like it's just obese people lying in the ICUs or worse. It's not like previously healthy people aren't getting seriously ill. So going too far on this end of the argument just becomes too much of a convenient generalization (no doubt used to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic)

I think its like 96% of the people that have died from COVID had 2 or more chronic conditions. Definitely not a generalization. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/evidence-table.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

Smoking keeps the weight off ^_^

• Haha 2

It's fine to mention that the vast majority of covid deaths happen in people with preexisting conditions, but it's not fine to use it as a way to minimize things.  We have a shit ton of people walking around with some kind of condition(s), and a person can live for many years or decades with preexisting conditions.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

The very fact that America is fat and out of shape is all the reason more to mandate mask

33 states already have mask mandates

• Like 1

Do you think that China is being honest with their numbers ?  Just speculation on my part... but the American population as a whole is very unhealthy, and considering chronic conditions play a significant role in deaths I'm guessing that's why the USA is at the top the list. 

I have zero faith in China’s numbers. They went months without restrictions in a heavily urbanized area.

We are actually running a little above the IHME projection... the model that has 2000 US deaths per day in late December.  It had ~800 deaths per day right now, and the daily average from the past 7 days is over 800.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We need a big stimulus package to get us through this winter. Why is this so hard for these idiots in Washington to understand?

9 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We need a big stimulus package to get us through this winter. Why is this so hard for these idiots in Washington to understand?

10 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I won't lie, I'm not sure how much more we can realistically afford. Tax revenues have absolutely plummeted due to this. I know this is going to come off as quite political but the coronavirus has crushed so much of what will likely be a liberal led DC for the next few years simply due to a lack of funding. 

This is what I face daily at work. We constantly worry about the next few years of our company as states will simply not have the money to do major infrastructure projects without significant tax hikes on both corporations and people. I see no way we can continue with stimulus packages and not cut spending drastically/increase taxes by 5% on anyone making under $150K & 8-10% on anyone making over that

10 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Sadly, filling a vacant court seat was obviously more important to the Senate.  I think even the President wanted a big stimulus (for his re-election chances).

New high of over 3600 new cases in IN.  Per capita it's like having 7,000 cases in Illinois or almost 12,000 in Florida.

Also, ICU bed availability statewide has dropped into the 20s percent.  The total number of ICU beds is less than it was in the spring though, so they should be able to add more if necessary.   

Treatment at the beginning of the pandemic was terrible, deaths are declining while cases increase. The virus is not nearly as deadly as once thought. Regeneron helps reduce viral load in patients. 

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-by-the-numbers-mortality-rates-in-u-s-decrease-despite-uptick-in-cases/

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/regeneron-says-its-covid-19-antibody-treatment-cut-medical-visits-n1245197

The most recent data (from the week ending October 10) showed excess deaths only 0 and 2.9 percent higher than historic data.

A look at the data shows that excess deaths peaked the week ending April 11, with 35.6% to 40.6% more deaths than usual, then began a downward trajectory through June 20, when the incidence of COVID-19 rose in Sunbelt states after declining in the North and Northeast.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Treatment at the beginning of the pandemic was terrible, deaths are declining while cases increase. The virus is not nearly as deadly as once thought. Regeneron helps reduce viral load in patients. 

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-by-the-numbers-mortality-rates-in-u-s-decrease-despite-uptick-in-cases/

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/regeneron-says-its-covid-19-antibody-treatment-cut-medical-visits-n1245197

The most recent data (from the week ending October 10) showed excess deaths only 0 and 2.9 percent higher than historic data.

A look at the data shows that excess deaths peaked the week ending April 11, with 35.6% to 40.6% more deaths than usual, then began a downward trajectory through June 20, when the incidence of COVID-19 rose in Sunbelt states after declining in the North and Northeast.

While this is certainly true compared to March and April. From about mid-summer on the calculated CFR using a 3 week time lag between cases and deaths has been steady at 1.5-1.8%. Worth noting that right now we are about 3 weeks after cases really started to rise again.

The denominator was much lower in March/April because we were only testing the sickest patients.  Lower denominator will always make the mortality rate appear higher.  I think treatments have improved but I think most of the decrease in mortality rate is due to us increasing the denominator with more testing.