Total Members
    Most Online
    Sarthak Tiwary 1
    Newest Member
    Sarthak Tiwary 1

March Banter 2020

33 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

the MUCH deadlier and infectious seasonal flu*

The data so far doesn’t show that. I believe as of late February the transmission rate was almost twice the flu and the latest mortality rate was 3.4% according to the WHO, though its likely lower (probably between 1-2%) than that because of all the unknown cases. The seasonal flu tends to be around .1%. 

Certainly not as deadly as Ebola or MERS, but definitely deadly for certain populations. 

Anyway, just interesting to follow. I got swine flu in ‘09 and I literally went from perfectly healthy to incapacitated in hours. It was wild, especially as a 20 year old. Fortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case for the overwhelming majority of people in this case. At least so far.

Now that western countries are getting caught up with testing protocols (South Korea has been in the forefront of proactive testing and their mortality rate is barely 0.5%), you'll see a lot more cases, yet the same amount of deaths, significantly dropping the mortality rate to a more seasonal flu-like level.  Heck, when you exclude the nursing home in Washington (which has had documented problems in the past dealing with flu outbreaks there), the death rate here is 0.4%, and we have barely even started testing anyone.

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The data so far doesn’t show that. I believe as of late February the transmission rate was almost twice the flu and the latest mortality rate was 3.4% according to the WHO, though its likely lower (probably between 1-2%) than that because of all the unknown cases. The seasonal flu tends to be around .1%. 

.1% for the U.S....

~ 5 million cases worldwide for the flu per year. ~500,000 deaths worldwide per year (low of about 290,000.)   *pulls out calculator*

Something tells me the government wouldn't be fully honest if people around the globe were dropping flies. And they control the news and the financial system.

Honestly I found out about this Corona thing from a couple guys on the job a few days ago and on here lol. I don't watch TV or listen to regular radio barely at all . Instead of sheltering in place in your house your much better off imo getting outside  each day breathing some fresh air daily and basically living your life. Sure..wash your hands more often etc ..but in reality you have a much better chance getting picked off by a greyhound bus or smashing into a telephone pole with your 1985 Chevette:D . I got the flu twice in my life and both were within a week after getting a "flu shot":axe:

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Honestly I found out about this Corona thing from a couple guys on the job a few days ago and on here lol. I don't watch TV or listen to regular radio barely at all . Instead of sheltering in place in your house your much better off imo getting outside  each day breathing some fresh air daily and basically living your life. Sure..wash your hands more often etc ..but in reality you have a much better chance getting picked off by a greyhound bus or smashing into a telephone pole with your Chevette:D . I got the flu twice in my life and both were within a week after getting a "flu shot":axe:

That’s the life. I still tell my gf that I’m buying a cabin in Redfield and I’m just going to go off the grid and enjoy real winter one of these days. Between politics, pandemics, and petulant people, I’m tired :lol: 

Just give me this and I’ll be happy.

QdL7TNr.jpg

• Weenie 1

I've gotten the flu a couple times as an adult, though only once since I started getting the flu shot (no quotes) every year for at least the last ten years. The last time was this year, after a long work trip during which I was shaking hands with everyone and their mother and getting very little (drunken) sleep each night. I credit the flu shot (no quotes) for helping me recover from it much more quickly (2.5 days or so) than I likely would have otherwise - but the worst of it really sucked.

I've gotten plenty of bad colds and sinus infections and such, but only got the flu this one time despite it being a very contagious illness and my having kids. I wonder why...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Ava was not making into something this morning when she was on TV, she mentioned it could happen but temps would be above 32 so it wouldn't be much nor would it accumulate. 

this. a 30 of miller is our usual go-to when we have a group coming over to enjoy the pool. sure we tell them to bring their own too, but its always nice to just to have extras around and a cheap drunk is my favorite. 

keep some dfh sea quench around for summer pool drinking

51 minutes ago, MacChump said:

keep some dfh sea quench around for summer pool drinking

have to admit, i had never had their sour ale until last summer where i bought it on a whim. and omg, its the best.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Some wet snowflakes mixed in here now with a temp of 38.

Exactly a half inch of rain so far today.

You might only need to go up 1000 ft now. Should have put your house on adjustable stilts. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You might only need to go up 1000 ft now. Should have put your house on adjustable stilts. 

Meet George Jetson..

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So in 2 weeks they're going to go from 5000 cases to 4 million?

Irans a friggin mess...just went over 100,000 cases worldwide, I doubt Iran will have 4 million in 2 weeks

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Friday Happy Hour is upon us.

My high gravity selection to start it off is a Stone Woot Stout. 

Starting off hard...you gonna make it to the flurry chance this evening? Lol

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Starting off hard...you gonna make it to the flurry chance this evening? Lol

Already saw some splatty flakes today.

March > February.

I'm good.B)

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Already saw some splatty flakes today.

March > February.

I'm good.B)

Nice. If you’re ever in Baltimore, need to checkout Lighthouse Liquors. It’s a liquor store with a deli but also has 10 beers on draft, a bar and tables to sit down. It’s basically a liquor store you can just drink in all day if you want to lol. Crazy selection, they have everything imaginable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. If you’re ever in Baltimore, need to checkout Lighthouse Liquors. It’s a liquor store with a deli but also has 10 beers on draft, a bar and tables to sit down. It’s basically a liquor store you can just drink in all day if you want to lol. Crazy selection, they have everything imaginable. 

I used to live there once upon a time. Used to hang out in Dundalk as a kid in the summer. Still go to the inner harbor a couple times a year. Used to go to the best crab house around, Costas Inn, over your way on North point Blvd quite often. Hard to justify making the trip now when I can go out and get Miles or Wye river crabs so close by. Cant beat eastern shore river crabs. Most of what Costas gets comes from the Gulf, which is necessary to support their high volume, year round business. They have it all going on though. I have seen the whole operation behind the scenes there and it is impressive.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I used to live there once upon a time. Used to hang out in Dundalk as a kid in the summer. Still go to the inner harbor a couple times a year. Used to go to the best crab house around, Costas Inn, over your way on North point Blvd quite often. Hard to justify making the trip now when I can go out and get Miles or Wye river crabs so close by. Cant beat eastern shore river crabs. Most of what Costas gets comes from the Gulf, which is necessary to support their high volume, year round business. They have it all going on though. I have seen the whole operation behind the scenes there and it is impressive.

Nice...Costas is good but they're too pricey in my opinion...Lots of cheaper options that are just about as good.  But yeah check it out when you go to the Harbor, its on Boston St in Canton

• Like 1

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Nice...Costas is good but they're too pricey in my opinion...Lots of cheaper options that are just about as good.  But yeah check it out when you go to the Harbor, its on Boston St in Canton

If you want premium crabs you are gonna pay. I don't mind it because I have a crab outing maybe twice a year. I ain't messing with anything small. Too much work and no yield. I guess I am a crab snob lol. I will pay for the 8-10 inchers and enjoy the hell out of em. I go to a place west of St Michaels (past all the tourist traps) over  here and get Miles River monsters when they have em, for 60-80 a dozen. Well worth it.

And before anyone says "but smaller crabs are more full", LOL. NO.

A true number one, premium crab is a big hard shell crab and full of meat. Not a crappy paper shell that's "big" and empty. That is a number 2 or 3. We talkin' a big ass brown bottom, dirty, rusty crab.. The only ones I bother with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you want premium crabs you are gonna pay. I don't mind it because I have a crab outing maybe twice a year. I ain't messing with anything small. Too much work and no yield. I guess I am a crab snob lol. I will pay for the 8-10 inchers and enjoy the hell out of em. I go to a place west of St Michaels (past all the tourist traps) over  here and get Miles River monsters when they have em, for 60-80 a dozen. Well worth it.

I’d rather go for medium or larges and just order an extra half dozen lol but that’s just me

6 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I’d rather go for medium or larges and just order an extra half dozen lol but that’s just me

There is definitely a bang for the buck size crab. At Costas, I always did the extra large. All 6-7" and fat. That's what I liked most about that place- the consistency. All their crabs are categorized by weight and size. Never had a light crab, ever. Every other place I have gone I ended up sending at least a couple back for replacement because they were literally empty.