George BM

March Banter 2020

17 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think you can do it much sooner of course...it’d probably be when hospital capacity reaches a certain level, say 60% or something. 

This is a really bad situation, and a lot of us have never been asked to make these kinds of sacrifices and take these losses before. It’s going to be hard. But if this is a war, and I think it is, we have to get the public to avoid the historical pitfall of thinking “it’ll all be over by Christmas”. 

Speaking of this being war, am I the only one watching over my shoulder to see which country decides to take advantage of the USA while we r down and out? Wouldnt be the least bit surprised if we are at war by late summer and I dont think we have the resources for that right now which is exactly why I could see one of the other world superpowers flexing their muscle. There are 4 countries that we need to be watching closely...Iran, Russia, N Korea, China.

• Like 1

I remember the days where the worst thing I had to read in the banter threads were my ms paint snow maps

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hit the wine/beer/liquor store, build a fire, drink, get a good book, take long walks, drink, take some pictures of Swallow Falls, skip stones on the lake, drink, repeat.

i wish I could.  Still gotta work every day...at the office.

But i am taking walks every day with the fam. Yesterday i played a silly game with my youngest to see if we could NOT step on a crack to break our mom's backs.  Its a childs game but it made both of us laugh and I think you would agree that laughter right now is so desperately needed.  For her and for me.  For all of us.

The drinking I save for the weekend

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Speaking of this being war, am I the only one watching over my shoulder to see which country decides to take advantage of the USA while we r down and out? Wouldnt be the least bit surprised if we are at war by late summer and I dont think we have the resources for that right now which is exactly why I could see one of the other world superpowers flexing their muscle. There are 4 countries that we need to be watching closely...Iran, Russia, N Korea, China.

I honestly can't tell if this is being sarcastic or not.

In the off chance this isn't sarcasm, then...LOL!!!

The U.S. being down and out?? Not even close. If this gets as bad as it could, the U.S. has 1000x more capabilities to handle it better than the countries you listed. You honestly think they would go to war with a superpower when they'd be struggling hard at home? None of those countries have the cajones to do that....

16 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

I honestly can't tell if this is being sarcastic or not.

In the off chance this isn't sarcasm, then...LOL!!!

The U.S. being down and out?? Not even close. If this gets as bad as it could, the U.S. has 1000x more capabilities to handle it better than the countries you listed. You honestly think they would go to war with a superpower when they'd be struggling hard at home? None of those countries have the cajones to do that....

Totally agree. The two largest nations mentioned know exactly what’s in their best interest, long term, economically. With the two smaller ones there is a tendency for the desperation butter to slide off the noodles. We shall see. As always ....

checking in to see how everyone is doing.

@PDIII how are you feeling?

stay well, friends

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mappy said:

checking in to see how everyone is doing.

@PDIII how are you feeling?

stay well, friends

Excellent now.  Yesterday was a false alarm.. BTW.. FDA found a cure:

"In fact, after six days, 70 percent of the treated patients were considered cured, meaning that the virus was no longer detected in samples taken from them, compared to 12.5 percent of the control group patients. Furthermore, all six patients who were treated with both hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days."

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-malaria-drug-coronavirus-fda-1493293

• Like 2

I doubt the antibiotic had much of an impact, unless the virus produces a secondary bacterial infection. Antibiotics are not effective against a virus. 

33 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I doubt the antibiotic had much of an impact, unless the virus produces a secondary bacterial infection. Antibiotics are not effective against a virus. 

Azithromycin has been shown in studies over the years to act as an anti-inflammatory in addition to an antibiotic, particularly for respiratory issues. Some examples: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15590715

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/33/1/171

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PDIII said:

"In fact, after six days, 70 percent of the treated patients were considered cured, meaning that the virus was no longer detected in samples taken from them, compared to 12.5 percent of the control group patients. Furthermore, all six patients who were treated with both hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days."

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-malaria-drug-coronavirus-fda-1493293

glad to hear it was a false alarm.

i remain skeptical on that other news. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mappy said:

i remain skeptical on that other news. 

Agreed. Certainly no indication the "FDA found a cure".

Hahn said the drug would be initially used under “compassionate use,” which means doctors can ask to use the experimental drug on patients. The FDA can then gather data on its safety and efficacy from doctors ahead of a full-scale approval. “We are working expeditiously,” he said.

He said the president had directed the agency to take a closer look at whether the use of chloroquine could be expanded more widely beyond compassionate use.

“And again, we want to do that in the setting of a clinical trial,” he said, “a large, pragmatic clinical trial to actually gather that information and answer the question that needs to be asked and answered.”

After Trump’s comments, Bloomberg reported that an FDA spokesperson told the news organization that hydroxychloroquine had not yet been specifically approved to help people diagnosed with COVID-19.

In a statement posted online Thursday, the FDA said there are “no FDA-approved therapeutics or drugs to treat, cure or prevent COVID-19, there are several FDA-approved treatments that may help ease the symptoms from a supportive care perspective.”

Studies are underway to determine the efficacy of using chloroquine to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 to “potentially reduce the duration of symptoms, as well as viral shedding, which can help prevent the spread of disease,” the agency said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-malaria-drug-to-be-made-available-to-coronavirus-patients-almost-immediately-trump-says

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Nobody said they found a cure. "Considered cured" is a far cry from having found a cure. 

Check PDIII's post above. Thus why I used quotes.

• Like 1

I've been working everyday through all this and spend about 3 hours a day on the roads going from home to home of actual drive time and I'm surprised how many are on the roads today . People are out and about for sure . Not sure that's what we want but ...

27 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Hanging in there. Wish the sun was out more. 

Was very summer like here an hour ago. 73, sunny, humid, and breezy. Then the clouds rolled in with some light showers.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I've been working everyday through all this and spend about 3 hours a day on the roads going from home to home of actual drive time and I'm surprised how many are on the roads today . People are out and about for sure .

I noticed that too in general. I am working from home today and all of next week. I will be like a hermit. With booze.:ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PDIII said:

They said in clinical trial 100% of the patients were considered cured as compared to the control.  Albeit the study only included 6 patients.  

again, i remain skeptical that there is a cure. please tread carefully with that type of news. 

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Hanging in there. Wish the sun was out more. 

same, momma. same. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PDIII said:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PDIII said:

The good news is that this medication has been used for decades to treat malaria and other ailments, so we have a lot of experience with it and it is generally safe.  Also, it is produced in mass quantities in generic form, so there should be plenty of it. 

As for efficacy, there was a study done in France that showed great results, especially when given along with an antibiotic.   The problem is that the study has a very small sample size and was not a blind study.   I’ve also read that it has been used with some success in South Korea.  

Since the medication has already been approved by the FDA for other illnesses, doctors in the US are free to prescribe it “off label” to treat coronavirus.  I’m sure many will do so in the next few weeks, at which point we’ll have a lot more data about its efficacy and safety.    

So it’s a promising development but too early to say just how helpful it will be.  

11 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

6k cases 600 deaths today in Italy. Even on lockdown it’s still increasing bad.

Their median age is 10 years older than the US....That has a lot to do with at least the number of deaths anyway

12 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

The fact that China reported no new cases today is extremely interesting.  It really shows how that country is in firm control of what information flows out.... zero new cases is clearly a figure produced with an agenda

27 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

It’s not good of course, but numbers will continue to increase for some time.  We need to see whether the rate of increase is slowing.  I haven’t looked at the data on that yet.  

EDIT: Interesting article explaining why Italy has such bad numbers.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/