Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2020

George BM

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve been avoiding this mostly because it’s not our typical inconsequential banter and I don’t want to squabble when lives are at stake.   But one thing for the people minimizing this to consider when comparing this to typical flu statistics. With flu we do not take the drastic measures most of the world is with this. So yes the numbers in China might look comparable to a flu season except China had to go into lockdown to achieve that result. You are failing to take into account what the numbers would look like if we acted like this was just flu and let it run it’s course. Now exactly what they would be is debatable and if you want to throw your 2 cents around wrt that fine...but it’s intellectually dishonest to compare infectious disease numbers when drastic measures are taken to contain a virus to numbers over a longer period of time when almost no societal measures are taken to stop the spread. If we used that method we could argue Ebola isn’t as bad as flu since most times when it pops up we take serious measures to contain it before it spreads and kills tens of thousands. 

Well said PSU.  During a normal flu season, how many people actually get formally tested for the flu?  Nominally we get the flu, maybe go to the doctor and/or medicate to soften the symptoms and stay home until better.  COVID is another situation entirely.

Also agree on the point about the data.  The stats on the much followed JH's COVID heat map point to some interesting trends, but need to be viewed as suspect (although I look at the site a lot myself because there's little else out there).  In the more modern countries where testing is assumed to be carried out to established standards, the data is likely far more objective.  With that assumption, the variability in the fatality ratio in Europe is interesting.  Case in point is the significant difference in the fatality rate in Italy compared to nearby France, Switzerland and Germany.

However, as a catch-all, the overall data totals on the JH site is very subjective and even suspect for two reasons.  One is the data is solely reliant on official test results of people tested, which must be assumed to be far short of the number of actual cases. 

The second reason, which is the predominate driver in undermining the pedigree and linage of the data on the JH site is because China is heavily involved; having contributed the largest portion of the data set by country.  At this point, Johns Hopkins should just cut the data out from China entirely.  China is arguably at the top of the list of countries when it comes to active domain monitoring and content control.  They have an iron grip on it and we are seeing that machine in action now.  It was interesting how the number of cases in China came to a grinding halt last week and now the only new cases they are reporting are labeled with having originated from outside China.  Their internal filter machine is working overtime now and as a result any of the COVID data out of China is questionable at best, which further taints the JH heat map as long as data from China remains included.    

Mowed for the first time today. Impressed with this black beauty tall turf type fescue. Planted it last fall and it has come up early and already super green, which its known for. Whether it survives the long, hot(probably dry) summer remains to be seen. Tough conditions in the woods.

Also got quite a bit of new mulch down. Easily 2 weeks ahead of schedule with the growing season.

grass.thumb.jpg.1591752247a59d7469fe1b46b188e099.jpg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Mowed for the first time today. Impressed with this black beauty tall turf type fescue. Planted it last fall and it has come up early and already super green, which its known for. Whether it survives the long, hot(probably dry) summer remains to be seen. Tough conditions in the woods.

Also got quite a bit of new mulch down. Easily 2 weeks ahead of schedule with the growing season.

That looks great.  Look forward to some updates.  Nice back yard too btw.  We have a transition area with a lot of poplar trees also (albeit our back yard don't look near so nice).  The abundance of trees makes it difficult to keep grass.  It does ok until the leaves on the poplars come out.  Then the combination of partial shade and the poplars sucking the nutrients out of the soil make it hard for grass to compete.  Hope yours takes hold and does well.  Certainly looks like its got a great start.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RDM said:

That looks great.  Look forward to some updates.  Nice back yard too btw.  We have a transition area with a lot of poplar trees also (albeit our back yard don't look near so nice).  The abundance of trees makes it difficult to keep grass.  It does ok until the leaves on the poplars come out.  Then the combination of partial shade and the poplars sucking the nutrients out of the soil make it hard for grass to compete.  Hope yours takes hold and does well.  Certainly looks like its got a great start.  

Thanks. I have gone through many a lawn revamps over the years lol. With all the trees, the moles. moss, its not easy. My strategy has been to lessen the grass area, as you can see with the mulch areas and the fire pit, lol. At least now it is manageable to the point where I may be able to water it constantly when the sun angle is high and it gets hot and dry in mid summer. Its a battle every year to keep it from burning to a crisp on the sunny side of the yard in July and August

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Nice set up with the fire pit! I assume the wooded area is yours also. How big is your property?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Currently watching Gremlins for the first time in 20 years or so . Classic...lol and I forgot how hot Phoebe Cates was back then. 

I’f you’re feeling frisky, watch fast times at ridge mont high if you wanna see a little more of Phoebe Cates...but I’m sure you know that lol

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thanks. I have gone through many a lawn revamps over the years lol. With all the trees, the moles. moss, its not easy. My strategy has been to lessen the grass area, as you can see with the mulch areas and the fire pit, lol. At least now it is manageable to the point where I may be able to water it constantly when the sun angle is high and it gets hot and dry in mid summer. Its a battle every year to keep it from burning to a crisp on the sunny side of the yard in July and August

The effort you've put in shows.  Nice ambiance for sure.   Can relate to the concept of lessening the grassy areas.  When we moved into our place 10 years ago after returning from Thailand I recovered the lower 1/2 acre of our property.  It hadn't been maintained for years by the previous owners and in places the weeds were 5 feet high.  With the help of my Kubota BX I dug out stumps, removed dead/fallen trees, cleared it and leveled it with a power landscape rake.  Was several 30 yd dumpsters full of debris.  

Put down over 100yds of 50/50 topsoil/compost mix and 300+ lbs of seed.  Ended up with the nicest bed of weeds you've ever seen.  haha.  But, it's better than what we started with.  At some point I may do like our next door neighbors did and kill it all and reseed the whole yard.  Their yard looks pretty nice now and is light years ahead of what they had before.  Some day, when I get a round-to-it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

I’f you’re feeling frisky, watch fast times at ridge mont high if you wanna see a little more of Phoebe Cates...but I’m sure you know that lol

Judge Reinhold was in a precarious situation there.  The Cars were the greatest beneficiary from that scene. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Nice set up with the fire pit! I assume the wooded area is yours also. How big is your property?

Its 6 acres, and yes its mostly wooded. The only clearing is right around the house, and mostly what you see in the photo. There are some trees close to the house I need to take down.

7 hours ago, RDM said:

The effort you've put in shows.  Nice ambiance for sure.   Can relate to the concept of lessening the grassy areas.  When we moved into our place 10 years ago after returning from Thailand I recovered the lower 1/2 acre of our property.  It hadn't been maintained for years by the previous owners and in places the weeds were 5 feet high.  With the help of my Kubota BX I dug out stumps, removed dead/fallen trees, cleared it and leveled it with a power landscape rake.  Was several 30 yd dumpsters full of debris.  

Put down over 100yds of 50/50 topsoil/compost mix and 300+ lbs of seed.  Ended up with the nicest bed of weeds you've ever seen.  haha.  But, it's better than what we started with.  At some point I may do like our next door neighbors did and kill it all and reseed the whole yard.  Their yard looks pretty nice now and is light years ahead of what they had before.  Some day, when I get a round-to-it.

Sounds similar to what I did. I bought the lot(completely wooded) and me and my dad removed all the trees we could with chainsaws and pulled stumps with his Kubota. Had to bring in multiple truck loads of topsoil after removing all the trees/stumps as it takes a bunch of earth with it. Initially I had a nice lawn, but nature takes its course and after a few years(and dry periods in the summer) and moles, I had to start over. I have done it several times over the years, but nature is always working against any order you try to establish lol. I have let the moss take over where it wants to grow, and I am now trying to maintain that small area of grass in the back, where it sees a fair amount of sun in the summer.

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Currently watching Gremlins for the first time in 20 years or so . Classic...lol and I forgot how hot Phoebe Cates was back then. 

8 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Its a crap movie but if you want to see more Phoebe Cates then go find the movie "Paradise"  

Don't ask why i know about this movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

My gut says Hogan will activate stay at home order today or tomorrow for Md just as Philly, De, NJ, NY have northeast of us .

Probably but it’s really not all that much different than what we’re already doing. Just fancy wording and maybe he’ll enact a curfew. I’ll still have to work so :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Most likely but I wouldn't be surprised if it insues more panic . I'm slammed at work . Hopefully electrical contractors are essential :yikes: ...people need power ..right

Pretty sure. “Essential personnel actually includes a wide range of things. Even the liquor store is considered essential lol unless he does an executive order to shut those down. It mainly effects non essential retail like clothing stores/entertainment etc 

oh and I think auto dealers would shut down so no car buying 

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

? Why a definitive no

I don't see a shelter in place in Maryland, right now, for the following reasons:

1.) We aren't seeing runs on supplies, riots, or lawlessness

2.) With the exception of a few areas, Marylanders are observing the social distancing laws.

3.) We are spiking in cases, but our hospital systems and 911 systems are still afloat because Pints # 1 & 2 are being observed. 

To me, there is no reason for a shelter in place and Hogan isn't one to make a rash decision.

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I don't see a shelter in place in Maryland, right now, for the following reasons:

1.) We aren't seeing runs on supplies, riots, or lawlessness

2.) With the exception of a few areas, Marylanders are observing the social distancing laws.

3.) We are spiking in cases, but our hospital systems and 911 systems are still afloat because Pints # 1 & 2 are being observed. 

To me, there is no reason for a shelter in place and Hogan isn't one to make a rash decision.

He may not make “rash” decisions but he is making proactive decisions...I believe Maryland was one of the first states to close restaurants and bars and that was when Md only had like a dozen cases if that. We are seeing runs on supplies, have you been to Costco’s and grocery stores? I bet a “shelter in place” order is coming if not today, then sometime later this week. 

that said, it’s really fancy terms meant to be “stern” with people. It’s really not much different than what we are already attempting to do. Essential business will remain open and people will still be leaving the house. 

20 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Just got a letter from my employer that i have to carry around while driving for work in case I get pulled over, stating to any law enforcement that Im considered "essential". Cool. How about more pay?:P

Just say you are going from Grocery Store to Grocery Store looking for toilet paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

My gut says Hogan will activate stay at home order today or tomorrow for Md just as Philly, De, NJ, NY have northeast of us .

i could see him doing that, we are about 90% of the way there anyways. I could also see him saying schools will close to at least Easter.

there isn't much more he can do, and he wouldn't be holding a presser if he wasn't doing something. so, i like your gut. my gut says the same.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Just got a letter from my employer that i have to carry around while driving for work in case I get pulled over, stating to any law enforcement that Im considered "essential". Cool. How about more pay?:P

fwiw, my office sent the same letter to employees. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

i could see him doing that, we are about 90% of the way there anyways. I could also see him saying schools will close to at least Easter.

there isn't much more he can do, and he wouldn't be holding a presser if he wasn't doing something. so, i like your gut. my gut says the same.

Yeah thats what Ive been trying to explain to people...People freak out about the terminology but like you said, we're pretty much already doing what the definition entails. A few more retail locations (mostly clothing and entertainment) will close and maybe some offices but a lot stays open and people will still venture out the house for various reasons. Its terminology meant to be stern in the hopes that some people that can, actually do stay home.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, PDIII said:

Cant do distance learning.  That puts a large number of students at a disadvantage.  Its likely that many kids will not have a conducive environment to regularly participate. 

Ok so I was just going to ignore this. As I am controlling my anxiety. But I feel this needs to be addressed. 

If you have kids in school you will be getting frequent updates like I am. The school systems are busy working on all ways for students to get learning. Frederick Co. is a 1:1 device school system. If you do not know what that is, every FCPS student at the start of the school year is assigned a Chromebook to be able to take home. They are polled as to who has access to internet and who does not. In fact the last day they were in before this 2 week span all students were again polled in school on internet access. For those who do not have access, Comcast is offering 2 months free to those families. And hot spots are being established. The school system is helping in anyway they can, and if the use of internet and computers is not an option they are working on paper learning that will be delivered to their homes. 

Our school system as well as so many others are already feeding kids Breakfast, Lunch and grab and go dinners. FCPS is up to 20 locations through out the county currently and are adding new locations daily. And this is for all students 18 and under, even if needed my kids. We already have a program for homeless students called SHIP, where donations can be made. Because believe it or not FCPS has close to 800 homeless students that attend school. 

I suggest next time you decide to make a blanket statement about something you may not know about you re-think and maybe ask questions first. Not all systems are the same, although they should be in my opinion.

We are in unprecedented times and we are all working to make things work the best we can. I feel that many new things will be learned because we were forced to find options that work. Even my husband who works at a Video game company who was told he could never work from home due to not being on their work secure network, now has his system at home and is waiting on one last piece of hardware to allow him to connect to the internet through the secure work server. In fact the entire company told everyone to work from home and have bent over backwards to keep all out of the office and at home with whatever they need to work. So things can be done that we have though could not be done prior to this. 

If we all work together I feel things will get done for the better. 

44 minutes ago, mappy said:

$20 says it's just announcing that schools are closed through the end of this academic year.

• H2O unpinned this topic