• Member Statistics

    15,930
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    David
    Newest Member
    David
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
mackerel_sky

2/8/2020 Snow Event

Recommended Posts

Just now, SnowDawg said:

My favorite part of all of this is that a little over a week ago I officially threw in the towel on this winter and gave up hope. Then in an 8 day stretch most of my county has now hit seasonal average. Now if it'd just stop raining... 

Yeah I think just about everyone was ready to throw in the towel. I knew I didn't have much hope left.  

Ffc and gsp  mentioning the chance for freezing fog tonight...would be neat if it's enough to make it white again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mackerel_sky said:

I’m suprised they mentioned anything frozen, did not know they had that in their vocabulary 

How much did you tally up? Probably just over an inch on elevated surfaces here. Maybe a half inch in the Zoysia at one point. Not now. Could have been half a foot if clouds would have rolled in 90 minutes earlier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drying up quick in the triad.  Just a token snow shower.  All the forum peeps downstream choked off our snow with their wails of joy!  Snowing at a decent clip up at the farm in Stuart Va too.  But radar looks sparse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kvegas-wx said:

Drying up quick in the triad.  Just a token snow shower.  All the forum peeps downstream choked off our snow with their wails of joy!  Snowing at a decent clip up at the farm in Stuart Va too.  But radar looks sparse.

The snow has really picked up on Stratford Road in Winston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WarmNose said:

How much did you tally up? Probably just over an inch on elevated surfaces here. Maybe a half inch in the Zoysia at one point. Not now. Could have been half a foot if clouds would have rolled in 90 minutes earlier 

An inch is a good description for my yard! Yes, if this would have started 2-3 hours earlier and we had these rates at night, we would have easily had 3-5”

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh, and congrats to all the SC and GA peeps! Glad you're getting a decent event out of this. I'm a little jealous, and hope we get a good one before the season is over.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk



I second this statement!
Was awesome watching it fly...



.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was an absolute victory for NW sc! Prob want see another flake this winter but considering how it's been this made it a good one as sad as that is. Now if Lookout could score a good one then all of us that's missed over and over will be good!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

Yeah not sure how they can discount the NAM in good faith when it is hands down spot on almost every time it snows here. WWA should have been hoisted in all northern upstate counties last night before people went to bed. Greenville county should have been a no brainer last night. Low impact here but it definitely warranted some public notice 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking with folks from around the county

Southern end measured a dusting to 1"

Middle was 3-5"

Northern was up to 6"

Pretty dam skippy for an advisory up to a special weather statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

You have to think of it like pure math

If there is a 50-90% chance of it happening and only 10% of it exceeding that then you always do it for the more likely scenatio. The NWS knew it was a possibility today but it was didn't expect this rare scenario. It's a delicate balance since you never want to cry wolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

They even admitted today, when they finally issued the wwa, they leaned heavily on the NAM! Yesterday, they didn’t seem to want to give it ANY credit?

They prob did ok for downtown gville...I tend to lean on peachtree for our neck of the woods anyway..were outcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy with this metro Atlanta "nothing to see here no big deal snow". A wet 1.7 inches NE of Kennesaw in Cobb County. Beautiful but melting and replaced by fog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah I thought the 3km NAM did the best overall with this one. 

Nice video here of flying locusts from Mike Seidel

 

Lmao...awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was also amazing the temp difference in North GA today. While Gainesville only hit 33, my station only hit 33.9, Atlanta hit 45 and Peachtree City hit 49! Next issue is freezing fog. Can anyone that had accumulating snow see anything outside? The fog is as dense as I've ever seen it here. Temp is 31.2 and probably will end up in the upper 20s in the morning. Crazy weather (and I'm loving it!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookout, I've been on these boards for years and always look forward to your contributions. Did you at least see anything accumulate? I read through these pages and don't see anything about you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ATLMet84 said:

It was also amazing the temp difference in North GA today. While Gainesville only hit 33, my station only hit 33.9, Atlanta hit 45 and Peachtree City hit 49! Next issue is freezing fog. Can anyone that had accumulating snow see anything outside? The fog is as dense as I've ever seen it here. Temp is 31.2 and probably will end up in the upper 20s in the morning. Crazy weather (and I'm loving it!)

Should have a nice view there in the morning with everthing glazed over.  It's not foggy here yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Snow Moon is and was gorgeous tonight.  Very bright and big.  Not the typical moon rise over the horizon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.