Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So uh...are we past the point where such a feature could pop up on future model runs...or is it still possible?

The core problem is even with the 850 temps looking "ok", it's still WAY above normal north us. The technical term is the airmass is a steaming pile of dog doo but since it's early Feb it may work anyway... for some people. East of 95 often struggles with good winter airmasses and miller As. My yard struggles with lame airmasses so my expectations are a messy struggle that prob won't work. 

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So uh...are we past the point where such a feature could pop up on future model runs...or is it still possible?

I'm a visual person with analyzing setups. Euro looked no different. Does this honestly look like snow is likely in your yard? Precip is knocking on the door on this panel...

gfs_T850a_namer_27.png

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mersky said:

But here are your actual 850 temps. Yes if you are east of 95 this is most likely a rain event. But west of there, especially west of 81 is very much in play for frozen precip 

I only care about my yard and never root for some interwebs stranger to get dumped on as I watch all my "potential snow" go down the drain. If I don't get a good event then anyone who does is dead to me. Every single weenie feels the same way deep inside and I'm not afraid to admit it publicly

• Like 7
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm a visual person with analyzing setups. Euro looked no different. Does this honestly look like snow is likely in your yard? Precip is knocking on the door on this panel...

gfs_T850a_namer_27.png

But again...is there any way things could tick a little colder in the next 4 or 5 days? Of course this particular run won't do it, but...I'm just wondering. Look, if it's already time to punt this away for I-95 and east it's better to know now then later...that's why I'm asking whether there's any possibility at all for improvement on future runs.

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But again...is there any way things could tick a little colder in the next 4 or 5 days? Of course this particular run won't do it, but...I'm just wondering. Look, if it's already time to punt this away for I-95 and east it's better to know now then later...that's why I'm asking whether there's any possibility at all for improvement on future runs.

Not too much. Temps could be off by a few degrees or a high pressure could magically appear, but there just isn't really any cold source to tap. Just look at those temp anomalies. The entire continent is flooded with warm air.

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Faster would do it. Even with a crappy track so there's no doubt ways to win. Or slower with the departing high would improve things too. Us "low elevation" folks need a small miracle. I'm heading out to boil crows toes, sacrifice chickens, and kick small animals. BRB

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

93 had it 960 mb crossing over Salisbury and still snowed on us .

Just saw the Gfs . I actually liked the run. Keeps us in the game . Verbatim I'd think the dynamics would have a bit whiter outcome in reality. 

The antecedent air mass for the 93 storm, although marginal, was better, and there was a mechanism for keeping  LL cold in place during the WAA phase. Pretty much all the snow I got was from the WAA. About 8". No way that can happen with this event.  In the 93 storm, as the low tracked up the coast(too far west for me) lost the surface and 850s, and ended up 40 degree rain. Point is that storm was quite different compared to this one wrt the set up leading in, despite the similar(maybe better?) low track.

All that being said, your area has a knack for getting snow in these very marginal systems. In this case it will almost surely be dependent on impressive dynamics with the CCB, and that may end up too far west, or not get going until the storm is NE of the MA.

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

One of the most basic key ingredients for a good midatlantic Miller A is a cold feed to fight against the thermal mechanics of a strong gulf low. They are very warm storms to start and continuously wrap in warm moist air as they head north. That's what makes them prolific snowstorms.

When looking at surface and 850 temp maps you really want to see northerly flow at both levels all the way until game time and also have a below normal airmass to the north. Doesn't need to be arctic or anything. A basic canadian hp with normal to -5C anoms works fine. So far this event has the opposite. Way above normal to our north, strong SW flow in the mid levels and southeasterly surface winds on approach. These are glaring flags. Yes, we may have the stars align for our yards and yes, I have not punted yet...however...I won't be disappointed with lots of rain because that's the most likely outcome from what we know right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I can’t actually believe I’ve seen 93 mentioned a couple of times. If I remember correctly that thing had a massive high pressing down from Canada with temps well below normal.

I was only joking when I mentioned it lol.

It was a much different set up.

The only thing favorable about this one is some ridging out west lol.

Just now, Ji said:

18 wb gfs shows no snow in dc thru 38400cb29f5691d48a5c3e79764ca23f88c.jpg

This is only one run.   As Bob pointed out, the pattern is crappy for next weekend. No high over Ogdensburg, only ridging in from NA. The Euro first with 6 inches and now the GFS with 7 inches for the 81 corridor is a step in the right direction.

Just to clear the air here.... I'm interested in next weekend and it totally fits the dynamically driven snow events that we get from time to time. We don't need any big shifts in track as is and it's slowly becoming unanimous that there will be a coastal next weekend and not a runner/cutter/slider. Can't not like that right?

There are obvious glaring issues with the surface and midlevel temps/wind and those features should be carefully analyzed more than the storm itself imo. Might be a few days before we feel more confident in one outcome over the other. Maybe this is "the one" this year or maybe it's another example of how crappy our temps have been for 6 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Just to clear the air here.... I'm interested in next weekend and it totally fits the dynamically driven snow events that we get from time to time. We don't need any big shifts in track as is and it's slowly becoming unanimous that there will be a coastal next weekend and not a runner/cutter/slider. Can't not like that right?

There are obvious glaring issues with the surface and midlevel temps/wind and those features should be carefully analyzed more than the storm itself imo. Might be a few days before we feel more confident in one outcome over the other. Maybe this is "the one" this year or maybe it's another example of how crappy our temps have been for 6 weeks. 

Right. Both the GFS and Euro are very close to depicting a nice event verbatim.  Just need a small change to temps.  Track as currently modeled is pretty much right where we would want it.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

For my yard specifically I'm pessimistic. When's the last miller A poured rain and then CCB'd 5-10" close to the cities?

5-10”?  Been a long time.  The January 2011 storm kind of did that. But the front end was very dry and the airmass wasn’t as bad as this. 

But I wasn’t really thinking heavy rain to 5-10”. First our best bet is if the phase/close of the upper low happens at just the right time. We don’t want this slowly crawling up the coast. If we get a late capture so that the mid levels don’t get wrecked too bad then 2-4” maybe 3-6 NW of 95 isn’t crazy. Not likely but not unheard of. There was a storm in early January 1994 in Nova that started really warm with rain then flipped to 2-3” of snow on the back side with the deform band. There was a storm in Dec 95 like that too.  That’s a more realistic goal imo. Even that’s a long shot but not as improbable as getting the unicorn scenario we need to get a 6”+ storm from this.