Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend mix and mess

tamarack

5 hours ago, gonegalt said:

Keepin it real on the Presque Isle/Caribou border- 18f w/hvy sleet/snow. Cars off the road across the valley. Stay off crowned roads!

I'm probably the sole winter outpost here today hence the report.

We need more PQI postings.  Keep them coming.  We love to hear what man-cold is really like.  Seriously.

64* here at the Pit.  I confess that in spite of all the hatred of the winter intermission, this doesn't suck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BOS is gonna put up a 74. Already 73. 

I like all kinds of weather extremes.  Honestly a weather event like what we are going through is more satisfying than a 10" snowfall.  Maybe I would feel different if I still lived in the Boston area.

I just took a drive down the hill.  Although I lost most my snow I would say there is still 90% coverage in the Newfound/Plymouth area.  Even looking at the PSU webcam I can see downtown Plymouth NH is still white.  Have you lost your cover?  I can't find the link to your webcam

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Hopefully they beat the record by 2+. Maybe a monthly record will expedite finding the issue 

Yeah I'm kind of hoping they pop 75 so that the monthly record is real. If they end up with 73 then it has a bigger asterisk than normal since the old record was 72F. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I like all kinds of weather extremes.  Honestly a weather event like what we are going through is more satisfying than a 10" snowfall.  Maybe I would feel different if I still lived in the Boston area.

I just took a drive down the hill.  Although I lost most my snow I would say there is still 90% coverage in the Newfound/Plymouth area.  Even looking at the PSU webcam I can see downtown Plymouth NH is still white.  Have you lost your cover?  I can't find the link to your webcam

We took quite the hit. From about a foot down to this. A couple inches away from the trees. image.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, mreaves said:

Snow has started here. Feels like I lost more snow this morning than yesterday. 

You might have since yesterday could have been using most of that energy to warm up the interior of the snow pack. Once that pack gets sufficiently warmed, it releases pretty fast. But it can start slow if the interior pack is pretty cold. 

Ice but not enough to bend the trees halfway down the hill to Keene Valley on 74 all through the valley until going back up to Chapel Pond.  47 degrees in Lake Placid when we left, 30 degrees in Keene and 45 again cresting the hill at the other side.  The Ausable was about 6 inches lower than the road, state police hanging out at each end, in case it rose any more I guess.

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Logan has been stuck at 73.4F for the past hour and 15 minutes.  Wished they could have had a bump of .2F so rounding would be 74F.   It's almost 3pm so doubt they will be able to do it.  

Yeah Gene it doesn't work that way. It's a little complicated top understand the hourly METAR obs and how the off-hour 5-min obs work. Logan will never report 73.4F. The 5 minute obs is sent out as 23C to the public. When the vendors convert it to F it gets posted as 73.4F. However, the real temp at Logan at that time is either 73F or 74F because the 5-min obs distributed to the public are in whole degree C instead of tenths. If they released them in tenths C like the hourly METARs, it'd be released as 22.8C or 23.4C which converts to 73F or 74F. In other words, there's a good chance BOS had a 74F in there. A 5-min of of 74F at BOS will be seen by us as 73.4F. But a 73F ob will be 73.4F as well. It's a little confusing.

But when you see quite a few 23C/73.4F obs in a row there's a good chance one of them made it to the higher end.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah Gene it doesn't work that way. It's a little complicated top understand the hourly METAR obs and how the off-hour 5-min obs work. Logan will never report 73.4F. The 5 minute obs is sent out as 23C to the public. When the vendors convert it to F it gets posted as 73.4F. However, the real temp at Logan at that time is either 73F or 74F because the 5-min obs distributed to the public are in whole degree C instead of tenths. If they released them in tenths C like the hourly METARs, it'd be released as 22.8C or 23.4C which converts to 73F or 74F. In other words, there's a good chance BOS had a 74F in there. A 5-min of of 74F at BOS will be seen by us as 73.4F. But a 73F ob will be 73.4F as well. It's a little confusing.

But when you see quite a few 23C/73.4F obs in a row there's a good chance one of them made it to the higher end.

Illustrative description...

The red enclosed obs are METARs...Logan released their hourly ones at :54 past the hour. The blue enclosed obs are 5 minute obs. The METAR (red) obs are released in tenths C so they convert to the exact whole F reading. The 5-min obs (blue) are released in whole integers C so they convert to a decimal F from the vendor sites. So those 73F METAR readings would also be 73.4F in they were a 5-min ob.  ;)

image.png

• Like 3