Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

5 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Hopefully the freezing rain location is a tad bit more NW. I want a big freezing rain storm.

If you take into account what all the models are showing - they’ve honed in on our area. I’d say I-96/69 to I-94 will be hardest hit if surface temps do actually make the drop quicker and deeper than prior thinking. I’m seeing some upper 20 figures by mid afternoon in your area and around 29-30° here. Will be interesting if that actually pans out.

• Weenie 1

I am also under both a Flood watch and winter storm watch

Only has a happened a few times that I recall...and i think we usually don't get much of either because...

Heavy rain falls southeast because of warm front hang ups or moisture robbing 

Heavy snows go northwest ..as we get the dry slot

3 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I am also under both a Flood watch and winter storm watch

Only has a happened a few times that I recall...and i think we usually don't get much of either because...

Heavy rain falls southeast because of warm front hang ups or moisture robbing 

Heavy snows go northwest ..as we get the dry slot

If I remember right you're right by me. Lol. But yea typically flash flood watch + winter storm watch don't pan out well for winter weather. Best icing definitely to my northwest and same with snow. Meh. When gfs is your best outcome you know you're screwed 

Just wouldn't feel right if the SREF / NAM weren't going gangbusters within 72 hours of the event.

Imagine the coworkers wouldn't want to hear about a 1-14" range (set by the ECMWF ENS and RAP, respectively) here in Omaha though so I guess we'll wait & see

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Guys I know my voice carries zero weight whatsoever, but I feel the need to say that I just have a feeling this will turn out better for Eastern LOT than anticipated. Just a gut feeling. Definitely not my dying hopes talking, no not at all. 

Get it

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

For your viewing pleasure, I present you the HRRR v4...

Snow, sleet and ice accumulation maps through 18z Sat.

acsnw_t7sfc_f48.png

acfrozr_t7sfc_f48.png

acfrzr_t7sfc_f48.png

If this were to happen verbatim, my house would get .05-.10 freezing rain, .25-.50 of sleet, and 6-8 inches of snow. Very cool as someone that likes watching winter weather, but what an absolute mess to travel in.

Just now, cyclone77 said:

Point has 7" of snow here, but to me it looks like sleet/freezing rain will be the dominant type till about sunset late Sat.  Gonna take some serious rippage with that tail end snow to get to 7".  I'll go with 2-5" snow as a first call, with a lot of sleet/freezing rain before that.  

Just curious, did you lose power in the February 11, 2019 ice storm?  With the winds expected on Saturday evening, it's not going to be good for ice laden trees and powerlines.

6 minutes ago, Natester said:

Just curious, did you lose power in the February 11, 2019 ice storm?  With the winds expected on Saturday evening, it's not going to be good for ice laden trees and powerlines.

Didn't here, but there were numerous reports of outages around the area.  Luckily only had 0.2" of glazing due to temps near freezing during the event.  If it had been a few degrees colder it would have been very bad considering the 50mph winds that hit after the event.

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Didn't here, but there were numerous reports of outages around the area.  Luckily only had 0.2" of glazing due to temps near freezing during the event.  If it had been a few degrees colder it would have been very bad considering the 50mph winds that hit after the event.

You lucked out.  Last time we lost power in an ice storm was back on February 24, 2007 (got a little over a half an inch of ice).  Was in the dark for 26 hours.  The ice threat here should be very short lived (1-2 hours) before changeover to sleet/snow.

15 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Getting a nice (not!) chilly thundershower right now.  My P&C is forecasting up to 4-6 inches of rain by Sat. evening. That's pretty crazy anytime of the year.

Getting some lightning, eh? That line is sliding just southeast of me. I wasn't really expecting any thunder this far north, but am thinking SE IN/SW OH may get some wind out of a T-storm