• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

So Grey Maine decided not to include Grafton County NH into the winter storm warning area.  Sometimes they break the county into 2.  Most of the population is in that far SE corner  (Plymouth area).   With 1.50" of qpf and perhaps a lot of sleet mixed in which makes roads worse I would have gone with a warning.

Untitled.jpg

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks for the thoughts, Ray.  Can you clarify the ice zones?  The GT .5 is clear, but I'm not deciphering the other regions of up-to .5, up to .25, and the mainly rain/sleet regions.

Thanks again--good luck with the call.

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks for the thoughts, Ray.  Can you clarify the ice zones?  The GT .5 is clear, but I'm not deciphering the other regions of up-to .5, up to .25, and the mainly rain/sleet regions.

Thanks again--good luck with the call.

Just look where the text is...didn't want to more ice boundaries because it would be a mess.

.5" is at that latitude of the jack areas in between them. .25" north due to sleet contamination, and .25 in to south due to less cold drain. Exception being higher spots of nw CT.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just look where the text is...didn't want to more ice boundaries because it would be a mess.

.5" is at that latitude of the jack areas in between them. .25" north due to sleet contamination, and .25 in to south due to less cold drain. Exception being higher spots of nw CT.

Thanks.

The BOX map has the .25-.5" ice accretion continuing east to about Townsend, MA. Yet, just over the border, GYX has the same range only going through maybe Rindge, NH. For those of us who live relatively near the NH/MA border, it's a conundrum. Do we have a relatively mild case of icing? Again, like so many posters, I'm not rooting for a major ice storm. The great photos of the sun through the iced, bent over branches didn't balance out the twelve days without power. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, monadnocks said:

The BOX map has the .25-.5" ice accretion continuing east to about Townsend, MA. Yet, just over the border, GYX has the same range only going through maybe Rindge, NH. For those of us who live relatively near the NH/MA border, it's a conundrum. Do we have a relatively mild case of icing? Again, like so many posters, I'm not rooting for a major ice storm. The great photos of the sun through the iced, bent over branches didn't balance out the twelve days without power. 

sleet 

Just now, monadnocks said:

We’re getting scalped. Wouldn’t expect damaging ice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya we are.

The poster at 1K in W CT seems truly screwed with icing and i would say Greenfield Chris likely as well,  looks like anyone near 1k in Western SNE is lights out

We'll see how this goes.  There is something to be said for having a 20kW generator and 1,500 gallons of propane in the tanks.  I'm right at 1,000 feet.

• Like 1

If you aren't icing in the first few hours overnight, it prob won't happen until tomorrow morning. Drain doesn't really get going until about 09z and the secondary push is prob like 4-6 hours after that into midday. 

Could start as a period of sleet for the pike region as the warm layer is initially pretty shallow even though the cold layer early on is kind of weak. Could go either way though...if it does start as sleet in metrowest, it would prob flip to rain before too long...and then we see what happens with the cold drain later on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

If you aren't icing in the first few hours overnight, it prob won't happen until tomorrow morning. Drain doesn't really get going until about 09z and the secondary push is prob like 4-6 hours after that into midday. 

Could start as a period of sleet for the pike region as the warm layer is initially pretty shallow even though the cold layer early on is kind of weak. Could go either way though...if it does start as sleet in metrowest, it would prob flip to rain before too long...and then we see what happens with the cold drain later on. 

So we rain may be plain rain in Nashua after some sleet pellets until around 3-4 am?