Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

I hate to be that guy, but what’s the timing of this?  9AM flight out of BOS on Sunday...

That would actually be pretty bad timing on this run....that's around when it flips to snow at BOS. Obviously this could change quite a bit...it already has in the span of a couple runs.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

Obviously, we want to see if this is an outlier run vs. static/trend.  The other model shifts would suggest a new static or hopefully start of a trend. 

Assuming static, does this mean a colder rain with a late turnover for SNE?  At least that might allow a persistent ground cover.

Yes....this doesn't give us anything frozen on the front end...just a rain in the 30s....but if we tick it a bit colder then it could start to get interesting. But yeah, you'd prob keep the sleet pack intact and then grab an inch or two of snow on top of that at the end in a solution like the 12z Euro.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Rich Hoffman , James Rinaldi, JB , DT and many others but they aren't  well known.

Well you did come up with 4 names!! lol I'll toss JB and DT. JB is always calling for a pattern change to cold and snowy.  If JB had been right even 25 percent of the time the east coast would be covered with a glacier.

Re the Euro...

I'd like to point out a subtlety.  Four cycles ago (12z yesterday), this was a stem-wound bomb up in western/central Ontario re the 5th-ish.  00z last night had that more Buffalo's longitude, with suggestion of a secondary ...at least attempt if not reflection.  This 12z run seems destined to continue along that trend of correcting E...

I just want to note, that the Euro tends to have a slight west/amplitude trough bias at D7+, so...this syncopated correction isn't without precedence.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Re the Euro...

I'd like to point out a subtlety.  Four cycles ago (12z yesterday), this was a stem-wound bomb up in western/central Ontario re the 5th-ish.  00z last night had that more Buffalo's longitude, with suggestion of a secondary ...at least attempt if not reflection.  This 12z run seems destined to continue along that trend of correcting E...

I just want to note, that the Euro tends to have a slight west/amplitude trough bias at D7+, so...this syncopated correction isn't without precedence.

Then day 8 has 983 mb low sitting over upstate NY....

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Eh I wouldn’t sweat it luke. Guidance has been wild lately. 

Very. I mean...it choked on that event from a week or so ago at go time so I wouldn’t expect a d7 op threat to materialize. Not like we want to see crushed solutions anyway. But, it would be nice to see a good sustained pac driven pattern for a change. 

Just now, Hazey said:

I hate to say it but the German was kinda first to sniff out this flattening trend. I’ve been following this system for a few days now since I wasn’t in the game for much wintery weather out of the current storm. Every model can find a nut at some point.

Yeah saw that and then the gfs went in that direction as well.  The trends are colder and that sort of started last night.  Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I was adding to Tip's observations regarding the Euro in the longer range, not trying to be a Debbie...That is what the panic room is for, lol

I was with you on that...

The the error balloons from about D4.5 on that run, re that particular wave.  It looks like the model overly conserves it's mechanics and digs it too prodigiously in toward W. TX or thereabouts... and then of course it has to then consider what to do with all that power once it is ejected... ending up in a upstate bomb. 

I suggest that D4-5 comes out flatter and that thing ends up a NJ model type low ...but I also caution, that's all predicated on the assumption it's right at D4, first.