Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah just a nice all snow event would be cool. Not even a block buster. 4-6" all snow would be great. Every effing storm even inland has been ptype issues. 

Yeah im getting really sick of that too, and not just with this season. It happened the entire 18-19 season starting in November. The only time we didn't get a snow to mix or rain storm were the two in early March. Mar 2nd and Mar 3-4 were both all snow.

I feel the same way. Id rather have an ice cold teens or low 20s daytime all-snow snow storm at this point with 4-7" than a 6-12" nighttime snow to mix to rain bullshit storm. That compacts and melts down to a few sloppy inches the next day.

Both the euro and GFS have a 130+ knot MLJ streak rounding the base of that energy...that's pretty ridiculous. There's def going to be some p-type issues somewhere but whoever stays snow is going to get creamed. Too bad it isn't a slow mover, but someone could see 3-4 hours of 3-4''/hr rates. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd still take that run....some taint, but good thump first. I just want everything covered again with several inches and then work from there when the good pattern sets in.

Have at it.  I'm with Scooter, I'm done with primaries shooting 1000mi W of us and we are left to the whims of taint lines

Just now, Snow88 said:

That's of the Euro is right. It's an outlier right now.  Long ways to go.

Hard to call that an outlier or any model an outlier at that lead time.  The GGEM was pretty warm too with a primary over Lake Ontario and secondary over BOS... but honestly these solutions aren't that much different at Day 5 range (GFS/ECM/GGEM).  Certainly well within the range of noise at that lead time except they do have big sensible differences for some folks. 

Look at it as we are just happy there's still a winter event showing up even if its a front ender followed by mix. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd still take that run....some taint, but good thump first. I just want everything covered again with several inches and then work from there when the good pattern sets in.

Sure but the over amped primary is a head scratcher. Everything else has been trending weaker it. We’ll see.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Hard to call that an outlier or any model an outlier at that lead time.  The GGEM was pretty warm too with a primary over Lake Ontario and secondary over BOS... but honestly these solutions aren't that much different at Day 5 range.  Certainly well within the range of noise at that lead time except they do have big sensible differences for some folks. 

Look at it as we are just happy there's still a winter event showing up even if its a front ender followed by mix. 

I noticed ant didn't mention the 12z Ukie...............:lol:

• Thanks 1

Just now, dryslot said:

I noticed ant didn't mention the 12z Ukie...............:lol:

Yeah I don't want to be that guy but honestly the EURO doesn't seem to be as much "on it's own" as some seem to make it seem.  Even that ICON was pretty darn warm for Saturday and wouldn't bring much snow south of the Pike (but big mixed bag probably).

EURO looked very similar to the 12z GGEM.  The GFS actually looks a bit like the outlier right now.  But all of them are perfectly within reason for this lead time. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sure but the over amped primary is a head scratcher. Everything else has been trending weaker it. We’ll see.

Ya' Euro is a lot more wound up and W than any other model but lets see how they all trend the next 48 hours.  If Euro stays outlier I won't be as concerned.  Still some decent cold to work with (does it "press"? )but I can't handle another sleet fest, although my woods are melted out front yard is still a glacier.  That Euro depiction would torch the mid-levels, again.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don't want to be that guy but honestly the EURO doesn't seem to be as much "on it's own" as some seem to make it seem. 

It looked very similar to the 12z GGEM.  The GFS actually looks a bit like the outlier right now.  But all of them are perfectly within reason for this lead time. 

Agree.

I just sense a tendency to always be less than mid range drama, when nearer ranges in general bring said events into the nearer term.  

Interesting that the Thursday system, in both the GGEM and Euro, bomb-clocks the lower Maritimes...while the weekend one looks as though it's backing off.. 

Not sure what that means for us, but both the Euro and GGEM are more potent with Thur as it moves through New England - so ironically sort of opposite that tendency.  These runs are a solid moderate snow and mix impactors for CNE at this point.  Wouldn't take much adjustment to get some of that down to the Pike either... 

So far, the Euro's over amped is winning this debate on the Thurs thing.