Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

ALY was hinting at that earlier in their AFD regarding the increase in QPF for their zones:

This is possibly related to the latent heat from the
Deep South storms building the downstream ridge and enhancing lift
from the equatorward entrance region of the strong jet

Models had lots of convection, but not sure what else would cause the jump north.

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Was that the really cold, snow winter?

It was not a real cold winter, But it was a snowy one,  We had a lot of these over runners that season, I don't think areas in CT did well with them if i recall, But Hippys area to Brian to me did exceptional,  I think Ray did too, Its actually my 3rd best winter all time

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Models had lots of convection, but not sure what else would cause the jump north.

SEN_1_NCEP_Z500_2.0day_zpsjtycv1ad.gif

This was the sensitivity map from 12z yesterday. That blue over us was saying lower heights there matched a more suppressed (higher surface pressures over New England) system. So the converse being true, latent heating from convection pumping those heights up would lead to a more amped system and lower pressure over New England.

Seems a completely reasonable hypothesis that convection played a significant role here.

9 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Was that the really cold, snow winter?

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

It was not a real cold winter, But it was a snowy one,  We had a lot of these over runners that season, I don't think areas in CT did well with them if i recall, But Hippys area to Brian to me did exceptional,  I think Ray did too, Its actually my 3rd best winter all time

That was our first winter in Greenfield.  Big December IIRC.  Great winter overall.  I remember my neighbors, who were all lifers here, saying "it was a good old fashioned Greenfield winter".   Coming from Cambridge I was just glad to finally have off street parking!  lol

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That was our first winter in Greenfield.  Big December IIRC.  Great winter overall.  I remember my neighbors, who were all lifers here, saying "it was a good old fashioned Greenfield winter".   Coming from Cambridge I was just glad to finally have off street parking!  lol

I remember one year we were getting moderate snows at 10 degrees, just don't remember what year, that was a good winter.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

SEN_1_NCEP_Z500_2.0day_zpsjtycv1ad.gif

This was the sensitivity map from 12z yesterday. That blue over us was saying lower heights there matched a more suppressed (higher surface pressures over New England) system. So the converse being true, latent heating from convection pumping those heights up would lead to a more amped system and lower pressure over New England.

Seems a completely reasonable hypothesis that convection played a significant role here.

Yeah it's the only thing I can think of. Lots of heavy rain ans thunder up and down OV to Gulf coast.