Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

46 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I am still waking up early to check the models to see if they show any snowstorms on the horizon.  What a disaster this winter is.

Worst winter ever for me

The beginning of March is starting to look like more of the same on the models now, no semblance of any high latitude blocking, strong SPV continuing. Would not be surprised to see a continuation of what we have been seeing in February come the 1st week of next month...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yes, you were. 

You were expecting this lousy winter ?

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The beginning of March is starting to look like more of the same on the models now, no semblance of any high latitude blocking, strong SPV continuing. Would not be surprised to see a continuation of what we have been seeing in February come the 1st week of next month...

I guess the pattern has to break down at some point.

5 hours ago, MJO812 said:

You were expecting this lousy winter ?

I guess the pattern has to break down at some point.

southeast ridge will be moving away end of month and EPO goes Negative  --chances are increasing for a favorable period last few days of month into 1st week of March -BUT we have been fooled before

4indices.png

the coldest maximum day so far this winter was 25 degrees on 12/19...today was 29 or 30 for the max...the record for the warmest seasonal max is 31 set in the 2001-02 season...last years coldest max was 14 on 1/31...

season.....coldest max...

2001-02......31

1997-98......29

1952-53......29

1974-75......27

1992-93......27

2011-12......27

1998-99......25

2000-01......25

2019-20......25

1961-62......24

2005-06......24

On 2/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, forkyfork said:

wow that seals it for me. i remember an extremely dark steel blue sky before it hit. i went inside as it started and then branches blew across the window

What got me into weather was the Blizzard of 1996. I’m sure that and any other severe weather event collapsed before it got to the south shore where I grew up.

5 hours ago, jm1220 said:

What got me into weather was the Blizzard of 1996. I’m sure that and any other severe weather event collapsed before it got to the south shore where I grew up.

There weren't many to speak of.....April 82, Feb 83, jan 87 and March 93....and none of them anywhere near the calibre of 96...83 came close though.

18 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Weenies everywhere losing their sh*t due to the lack of snow. 

I'm way past it and looking at seed catalogs. I'd organize the tackle box but after 40 years, i don't wanna mess with tradition....saltwater fishing has gotten so bad I have rigs I'll never use again ( winter flounder, whiting, fluke ) due to the disappearance of the species or draconian regulations. A proposed 3 bluefish limit this year....a fish once so bountiful people didn't even want them.

22 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I miss walking on high piles of snow and digging my car out.

I guess we were all spoiled by the really good winters of the 2000s.

You may be the only person in the tristate area who does.....I may like a good snowstorm, but digging out? that's not for me....was reading an article about "halfbacks" people who wanted to retire where there was no snow ( specifically ) and wound up in FL but the place is so hot for so many months they found that equally intolerable ( I can sympathize )so they go "halfway" back to their origin state ( usually the northeast or upper midwest ) to SC, NC, Ga, etc....four seasons with mild winters and very rare snow ( believe Atlanta might have more snow than us this year ). I gotta admit I'm not missing the snow much this year. It'll be back.