Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

22 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I cant wait for this horrible winter to be over.

I hope we have a good severe and tropical season.

I use to love winter when we had alot of snow but it is getting boring around these parts.

Summer is starting to become my favorite season.

Those summer tropical storms kill the fishing. I wish they would never happen. They don't even have to be that strong to throw up swells, which cause seasickness and for reasons I don't understand cause the fish to stop feeding, or move out to sea early. When we had a bay fishery it didn't matter but the bays are dead now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

This year's bug/mosquito problem could be horrendous. 

Lack of cold + wet weather is a recipe for disaster in the spring and summer. Also early vegetation growth in the south could be threatened with late season cold shots.

and ice coverage in the Great Lakes is 5% and the lake waters are 3 ft above normal- actually they've been rising for a few years and people are having to move away from lakefront properties or raise them.  Everyone talks about sea level rise, well lake waters are rising too!

do you think we could be done early with the pollen problem this year?  I already see some budding occurring and my daffodils are coming out.

21 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Those summer tropical storms kill the fishing. I wish they would never happen. They don't even have to be that strong to throw up swells, which cause seasickness and for reasons I don't understand cause the fish to stop feeding, or move out to sea early. When we had a bay fishery it didn't matter but the bays are dead now.

the waters are more polluted now because of fertilizer and pesticide run off because of higher rainfall totals and the rise of red algae and lowering oxygen levels.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, SnoSki14 said:

Last few years we've had record warm Jan/Feb months but cold Nov & March. This is a repeating pattern. 

I'm on the cold/snowy March train. You'll start seeing it on the models by Feb 15-20 as wavelengths change due to seasonal effects.  

there's really no abnormally cold air anywhere.  I think we pull a perfect game/no hitter and go the way of the great snowless winters like 1972-73, 1997-98, 2001-02, etc.

Although 1997-98 did have one meaningless wet snowfall event on the first day of Spring.

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Correct, and Great Lakes ice coverage is only 5%..... lake water levels have been getting higher too.

The lake levels are high because of well above normal precip  last couple of years.... I remember not too many years prior, the levels were very low and there was concern about that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, doncat said:

The lake levels are high because of well above normal precip  last couple of years.... I remember not too many years prior, the levels were very low and there was concern about that.

Right, I saw a graph showing a general rise of rainfall since 1975 and less evaporation occurring, it seems to be a trend.  I'm pretty sick of the rise in rainfall that's occurred here since about 2000.... like literally sick.  I have to take allergy medication now twice a week even during the winter (when it doesn't snow and it rains instead.)

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

there's really no abnormally cold air anywhere.  I think we pull a perfect game/no hitter and go the way of the great snowless winters like 1972-73, 1997-98, 2001-02, etc.

Although 1997-98 did have one meaningless wet snowfall event on the first day of Spring.

So far there's no signs of a major pattern change for March so you could be right. However models won't pick up on the seasonal changes until late Feb. 

If nothing changes by Feb 20 then this pattern will stick into March. There's a possibility that April turns out to be the cold month but by then it really doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

and ice coverage in the Great Lakes is 5% and the lake waters are 3 ft above normal- actually they've been rising for a few years and people are having to move away from lakefront properties or raise them.  Everyone talks about sea level rise, well lake waters are rising too!

do you think we could be done early with the pollen problem this year?  I already see some budding occurring and my daffodils are coming out.

I read that the ground where the glacier was during the ice age is still rising up causing the lake waters on the south shores to rise while the north shores retreat...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

So far there's no signs of a major pattern change for March so you could be right. However models won't pick up on the seasonal changes until late Feb. 

If nothing changes by Feb 20 then this pattern will stick into March. There's a possibility that April turns out to be the cold month but by then it really doesn't matter.

a la 1989-90.

what a sucky winter that was- cold dry December, record warm Jan Feb Mar and an insignificant snowfall in early April lol.

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Honestly that doesn't seem that appealing to live in but I would like to visit a place like that just to see that kind of snow once in my lifetime.  

the 30 incher with 100 mph winds in NFLD was amazing too, it looked like Sapporo, Japan there with 15 ft snow drifts creating snow tunnels that cars had to drive through

• Like 1

This will go down as one of the worst winters of my lifetime. Just endless rain and mild weather. I can’t get over the lack of cold weather. It has literally been March here for the last three months. It most definitely can’t get any worse IMBY next winter. So I guess there is that...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This will go down as one of the worst winters of my lifetime. Just endless rain and mild weather. I can’t get over the lack of cold weather. It has literally been March here for the last three months. It most definitely can’t get any worse IMBY next winter. So I guess there is that...

And somehow only 3" of precip has fallen since Jan 1st

• Like 1

the last 25 years have seen great winters and horrible ones like this year,,,

since 1993-94  (26 years) the Number of times snowfall was

00-09.9".....3...97-98...01-02...11-12...

10-19.9".....6...94-95...96-97...98-99...99-00...06-07...07-08

20-29.9".....3...08-09...12-13...18-19...

30-39.9".....3...00-01..15-16...16-17...

40-49.9".....5...02-03...03-04...04-05...05-06...17-18...

50-59.9".....4...93-94...09-10...13-14...14-15...

60 plus".....2...95-96...10-11...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

And holy sht what a storm that was. 17" of tree snapping glue! It fell in just a few hours with insane winds and the temp dropped 30 degrees while it was happening. That was one of the most memorable and damaging storms of the last 25 years where I live.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

the last 25 years have seen great winters and horrible ones like this year,,,

since 1993-94  (26 years) the Number of times snowfall was

00-09.9".....3...97-98...01-02...11-12...

10-19.9".....6...94-95...96-97...98-99...99-00...06-07...07-08

20-29.9".....3...08-09...12-13...18-19...

30-39.9".....3...15-16...16-17...

40-49.9".....5...02-03...03-04...04-05...05-06...17-18...

50-59.9".....4...93-94...09-10...13-14...14-15...

60 plus".....2...95-96...10-11...

Utilizing NOAA data, I did a couple of quick calculations. NYC-Central Park's mean snowfall for 1990-2020 is 30.1", and their median snowfall is about 27". The median, as you know, is a very indicative number, as it represents the relative frequency of above versus below normal snowfall winters. So, the 27" is fairly good, given the proximity to the mean, suggesting that there's an almost equal split of snowier than normal versus less snow than normal winters in NYC (I would guess probably 45% snowier than normal / 55% less snow than normal). The farther south one heads, the worse the median. For example, Washington DC sees much more below normal snowfall winters than above normal, so their mean snowfall is arguably inflated by a relatively small number of major winters. Conversely, I would guess Boston's median is almost identical to their mean.

• Like 1