• Member Statistics

    16,275
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Areri
    Newest Member
    Areri
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
NYCweatherNOW

December 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
2.4 new inches bringing the months total to 14.4 inches. Pleasantly surprised.

More importantly there's been snow covered ground every day in December. 11 days and counting.
 

Snow cover has been impressive around here, I need to run some numbers later to see how much above average I am so far. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dominant storm track continues to be cutter and hugger. All our major storms this month tracked through the Great Lakes or right across the area. The next 2 storms look to take the same type of track. It will be interesting to see if we can get the benchmark rapidly deepening storm track more active in JFM.
 

Dec 1-10

DAC21E27-210D-4558-B579-68CB82FB0182.gif.077770b3c11126a8226a5786b2ee3978.gif

B07AE16A-7B68-430A-B9AC-066B4CA82D37.gif.d973a2192f003011ad244adb68e3c601.gif

 

Next 2 storms

 

D29FDE24-1B8B-4F08-8463-8B7C9549AEE2.gif.de6bbb84e7300af8b39d08950fa2fa1f.gif
 

9F3572A5-2A3B-4ACA-811D-AF34CAD68A56.gif.f5f4e89c354d61df4cc35df628871ed1.gif

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The dominant storm track continues to be cutter and hugger. All our major storms this month tracked through the Great Lakes or right across the area. The next 2 storms look to take the same type of track. It will be interesting to see if we can get the benchmark storm track more active in JFM.
 

Dec 1-10

DAC21E27-210D-4558-B579-68CB82FB0182.gif.077770b3c11126a8226a5786b2ee3978.gif

B07AE16A-7B68-430A-B9AC-066B4CA82D37.gif.d973a2192f003011ad244adb68e3c601.gif

 

Next 2 storms

 

D29FDE24-1B8B-4F08-8463-8B7C9549AEE2.gif.de6bbb84e7300af8b39d08950fa2fa1f.gif
 

9F3572A5-2A3B-4ACA-811D-AF34CAD68A56.gif.f5f4e89c354d61df4cc35df628871ed1.gif

 

 

Thanks!

I hope we get a least a minor snowfall before the changeover for next week. Euro shows a few inches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks!

I hope we get a least a minor snowfall before the changeover for next week. Euro shows a few inches. 

That would be nice. We are going to need a strong and sustained -NAO drop at some point this winter to get a more active benchmark rapidly deepening storm track. These transient wave breaks can only do so much with the very active Pacific split flow pattern. We tend to do better with MJO related -NAO drops and start warming events. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Snow cover has been impressive around here, I need to run some numbers later to see how much above average I am so far. 

13.5" season total which puts me 9.1" above average to date for the season here.  Assuming no more snowfall (doubtful) I'll remain above average until 1/8/20 or so.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That would be nice. We are going to need a strong and sustained -NAO drop at some point this winter to get a more active benchmark storm track. These transient wave breaks can only do so much with the very active Pacific split flow pattern. We tend to do better with MJO related -NAO drops and start warming events. 

I like the trends on the ensembles for the ~Tuesday possible Miller B event. Both the GEFS and EPS have Davis Strait blocking for a time.

EPS_6to10.png.406c65c2762529716b66bd036182910f.pngGEFS.png.6c400ba7cfd2a1f9e466e65736445873.png

That dreaded E Asian/W Pac jet looks to get roaring past this period, but we'll see. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The dominant storm track continues to be cutter and hugger. All our major storms this month tracked through the Great Lakes or right across the area. The next 2 storms look to take the same type of track. It will be interesting to see if we can get the benchmark storm track more active in JFM.
 

Dec 1-10

DAC21E27-210D-4558-B579-68CB82FB0182.gif.077770b3c11126a8226a5786b2ee3978.gif

B07AE16A-7B68-430A-B9AC-066B4CA82D37.gif.d973a2192f003011ad244adb68e3c601.gif

 

Next 2 storms

 

D29FDE24-1B8B-4F08-8463-8B7C9549AEE2.gif.de6bbb84e7300af8b39d08950fa2fa1f.gif
 

9F3572A5-2A3B-4ACA-811D-AF34CAD68A56.gif.f5f4e89c354d61df4cc35df628871ed1.gif

 

 

Would much rather get the cutters in December. Even a BM track in early to mid December doesnt mean snow in the NYC metro..... After 12/20 is a different story. Lets hope the AO and NAO go negative after mid month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The dominant storm track continues to be cutter and hugger. All our major storms this month tracked through the Great Lakes or right across the area. The next 2 storms look to take the same type of track. It will be interesting to see if we can get the benchmark storm track more active in JFM.

In my forum we say that the lack of all snow solutions are mostly climo related as we are not yet into our peak for all snow events.

However,  I get from your post that we could actually get better BM storms but are lacking the more desired West based NAO block.

 

32 minutes ago, bluewave said:

While we get some help from the AO, the neutral NAO and +EPO won’t really change the storm track. The weaker MJO is a double edged sword. We don’t get the big amped up phase 4-6. But remaining in the circle won’t help with a push into the colder more -NAO phases 8-1 either. So we have this dueling Pacific split flow pattern with some weaker -AO wave break blocking

This too is very interesting..... getting enough wave breaking to help but not enough to achieve a coastal BM solution. 

I thought we were going to get a West Based NAO even without a MJO phase 8 1 ?  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this month is a return to the high precipitation regime we were under this year.  Mount Holly mentions the possibility of localized flooding this weekend but there's yet another system a few days behind it, again with robust southerly moisture fetch.  I mean, we'll see how it evolves, it's a week away, but the pattern is favorable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Looks like this month is a return to the high precipitation regime we were under this year.  Mount Holly mentions the possibility of localized flooding this weekend but there's yet another system a few days behind it, again with robust southerly moisture fetch.  I mean, we'll see how it evolves, it's a week away, but the pattern is favorable.

If you like a lot of winter rain then this is the pattern for you.

I suppose there's a chance the weekend storm acts as a 50/50 for the following system but there's no block around to hold the 50/50 in place so tough luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, frd said:

In my forum we say that the lack of all snow solutions are mostly climo related as we are not yet into our peak for all snow events.

However,  I get from your post that we could actually get better BM storms but are lacking the more desired West based NAO block.

 

This too is very interesting..... getting enough wave breaking to help but not enough to achieve a coastal BM solution. 

I thought we were going to get a West Based NAO even without a MJO phase 8 1 ?  

 

 

We had a really sharp shift in the mean December NAO state after 2010. While there were occasional -AO drops, it has been very difficult to sustain a -NAO pattern in December. Every year after December 2010 featured a +NAO. So our last high impact benchmark blizzard track was on Boxing Day 2010. We have had plenty of success with benchmark snowstorms in JFM. Last year was the exception to that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We had a really sharp shift in the mean December NAO state after 2010. While there were occasional -AO drops, it has been very difficult to sustain a -NAO pattern in December. Every year after December 2011 featured a +NAO. So our last high impact benchmark blizzard track was on Boxing Day 2010. We have had plenty of success with benchmark snowstorms in JFM. With the exception of last year.

I think we are seeing some better signs then last year. Is a blockbuster winter incoming? Probably not. It’s almost a lock that December is above normal post 2011.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we are seeing some better signs then last year. Is a blockbuster winter incoming? Probably not. It’s almost a lock that December is above normal post 2011.  

Longer range, it will be interesting how the falling IOD impacts the general tropical forcing and MJO.

814CA01F-051D-4717-A0AC-F254AA20B0D1.png.6b69aac08d07d11b88f309cffa7b8929.png

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never in the historic winter club...I went with a more moderate winter like 1959-60 with 30-40" of snow and one major storm...temps below average from Nov-Mar...mild in the middle...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise, but there's still quite the range of solutions so far on the 12Z runs for next week. GFS is still a Lakes cutter, while the UKMET (below) is suppressed/dry, and the Canadian somewhere in between.

UKMET.gif.25701b0e56cd1e5a30bf60949f02dedd.gif

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we are seeing some better signs then last year. Is a blockbuster winter incoming? Probably not. It’s almost a lock that December is above normal post 2011.  

my local reporting Station (BDR) is at close to 7 inches of snow in the last 11 days.   So we're already 25% of normal right out of the gate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

No surprise, but there's still quite the range of solutions so far on the 12Z runs for next week. GFS is still a Lakes cutter, while the UKMET (below) is suppressed/dry, and the Canadian somewhere in between.

UKMET.gif.25701b0e56cd1e5a30bf60949f02dedd.gif

Am thinking suppression is the least likely outcome.  I am thinking a track into New York State given little blocking unless the weekend system can 50/50.  But that would depend on extent of blocking. Even with an inland track, antecedent cold air might be tough to scour out especially low levels (ice signal?) , but that would depend on the speed of a retreating maritimes high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

If you like a lot of winter rain then this is the pattern for you.

I suppose there's a chance the weekend storm acts as a 50/50 for the following system but there's no block around to hold the 50/50 in place so tough luck. 

Not sure what you’re looking at.  The ensembles have a robust -NAO building by day 8.  Whether that happens or not is another story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

Am thinking suppression is the least likely outcome.  I am thinking a track into New York State given little blocking unless the weekend system can 50/50.  But that would depend on extent of blocking. Even with an inland track, antecedent cold air might be tough to scour out especially low levels (ice signal?) , but that would depend on the speed of a retreating maritimes high. 

The antecedent airmass isn’t all that very cold, we’re not talking unmodified arctic air. It all depends on a strong 50/50 low staying in place, acting as a block to lock the confluence and cold high in place. Otherwise the high just moves east, return flow, goodbye cold and it just cuts into the lakes as a rainstorm, a la this coming weekend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root for the 2nd storm to act more like a weak SWFE rather than a more amplified system. The weekend storm becomes a strong 50/50 low  So we need the 2nd system to stay flat  enough so cold high pressure holds on over New England. Really amped up systems will be too warm in this pattern. 
 

89784B12-0FBD-46A2-BDC0-4ADA2734D35C.gif.df805a41b24418ce9fa096a8d2c8e510.gif

758275A2-75B1-465E-9AE4-A080F0FCBE03.gif.ba43296aad6bdf88e47e951ccbaa3132.gif

7389A251-3F5E-44A9-B6D8-7E328D6A5C19.gif.be373bd73b3fef6b1125abdda206be32.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The antecedent airmass isn’t all that very cold, we’re not talking unmodified arctic air. It all depends on a strong 50/50 low staying in place, acting as a block to lock the confluence and cold high in place. Otherwise the high just moves east, return flow, goodbye cold and it just cuts into the lakes as a rainstorm, a la this coming weekend 

Here we go again. The GFS is the only model that shows a cutter and even that scenario would still cause an extended period of frozen precip north and west of NYC before changeover to rain. Every other model shows a colder solution right now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Here we go again. The GFS is the only model that shows a cutter and even that scenario would still cause an extended period of frozen precip north and west of NYC before changeover to rain. Every other model shows a colder solution right now. 

Dont even bother replying to him. He is a troll.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlizzardNYC said:

Euro is warm at the end of its run. That pacific jet means business... ahhhhhh how sad

Until next run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BlizzardNYC said:

Euro is warm at the end of its run. That pacific jet means business... ahhhhhh how sad

fantasy land at day 10.  (I'd say  that even if it showed the next ice age)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.