Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You know that people are hungry for snow after last winter. If a coating to 3 mainly on colder surfaces potential causes all this bickering, then better hope the KU snow machine cranks up before the winter is over. I can’t even imagine what this place would have been like from 96-97 to 01-02. Or even 79-80 to 91-92 for that matter.;)

Who said we are only getting a coating ? We dont even know how much precip we will get. 

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You know that people are hungry for snow after last winter. If a coating to 3 mainly on colder surfaces potential causes all this bickering, then better hope the KU snow machine cranks up before the winter is over. I can’t even imagine what this place would have been like from 96-97 to 01-02. Or even 79-80 to 91-92 for that matter.;)

after the February 1969 storm there wasn't another major storm or above average snowfall until 1977-78...the next winter with over 30" would be 1993-94...in between there was the Feb 79 and Feb 83 storms...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That's what happens when we get spoiled with KU after KU since 2000. 

You really start to lose your appreciation for them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Those were indeed fun days on the boards but the community was much smaller then.  To your point,  I can’t imagine that again today. 

I assume it would be exactly the opposite of the big winters around here lately when the trolls and pessimists still managed to poopoo every threat and every storm....had they been right we’d have roughly 1-3” of snow every winter. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Who said we are only getting a coating ? We dont even know how much precip we will get. 

The Euro has 3.8” as frozen including mixed for NYC. It starts at 38 and ends at 32. So cut that in half for cold surface accusation to around 2”. The coating is if later runs decrease the precipitation and it’s a little warmer. The 3 could be some colder spots like the North Shore of Long Island with a heavier snow burst and the temp falling to 31.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Euro has 3.8” as frozen including mixed for NYC. It starts at 38 and ends at 32. So cut that in half for cold surface accusation to around 2”. The coating is if later runs decrease the precipitation and it’s a little warmer. The 3 could be some colder spots like the North Shore of Long Island with a heavier snow burst and the temp falling to 31.

2-4 is a good call for NYC right now. These events like to juice up at the last second. Let's see if that happens here.

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

Eh. C-2" we were reminded what marginal temps in this UHI do.

This isnt the same setup as the last storm. What'd the point of going low ? These events usually favor the coast. The models went colder today. We have to see if that continues. 

Just now, sussexcountyobs said:

With rain and no current snow cover with temps in 50's tomorrow,  rain with temps 60 or low 60's Tuesday, unfrozen  ground, heat island effect,  and marginal temps, the city proper will be lucky to see a car topper at the end. I could be wrong? But, I doubt it.

Why does everyone think it's not going to stick in the city  ? Alot of you will be in for a rude awakening if the colder trends contnue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

With rain and no current snow cover with temps in 50's tomorrow,  rain with temps 60 or low 60's Tuesday, unfrozen  ground, heat island effect,  and marginal temps, the city proper will be lucky to see a car topper at the end. I could be wrong? But, I doubt it.

The ground below a few feet has to be cold. Combined that with nighttime precip should mean business and definitely more than a car topper just my two satoshis

Cant understand why people are always so fixated on whats gonna accumulate and where in nyc proper....when many of them live 10's of miles away in a totally different environment. If I get 3" at my location, I really don't care if the streets in Manhattan are only wet. If you live in the urban areas...different story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Cant understand why people are always so fixated on whats gonna accumulate and where in nyc proper....when many of them live 10's of miles away in a totally different environment. If I get 3" at my location, I really don't care if the streets in Manhattan are only wet. If you live in the urban areas...different story.

I guess it comes down to the biggest snows in NYC usually sharing the wealth with the wider area. One exception was February 2006 which wasn’t as good in some spots. But the best snows in NYC generally mean many surrounding areas do very well. January 2016 was a great example of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Could not agree more. It why in my UHI inner city area I never listen to early frost reports. In my area frost, even on cars, is as rare as an accurate snow measurement in CPK. As always ....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Why does everyone think it's not going to stick in the city  ? Alot of you will be in for a rude awakening if the colder trends contnue.

Its not the temps on Wednesday that are the problem. It's the prolonged 50s and 60s ahead of it. Sure higher rates can overcome but it'll be difficult. 

• Like 1

Next 7 days now up to an average of +6 or +7 at 45degs.

Maybe some snow cover can give us a more favorable boundary layer and tame the AN regime for a while. 

If the 11th/12th fails, it is probably onto the 17th, 22nd/23rd.       

13 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Not with light to moderate snows along a front though. If you can squeeze out 2" Wednesday you take it gladly.

2-4 if the models continue to get colder. It's going to come down hard once the front crashes. Its going to be interesting to watch unfold.

I remember the models getting juicier the last time we had the same situation a few years ago. 

16 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Not with light to moderate snows along a front though. If you can squeeze out 2" Wednesday you take it gladly.

16 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yes that's not what we have here. 

We generally need a high impact event like a rapidly deepening low to pull it off. It also helps to be closer to a climatologically colder and snowier part of the winter. Under these circumstances we can go from 60 degrees to a 12”+.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/Blizzard_Feb92017

• Like 1