Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I had 11/8 for the first reported CON flakes contest at work. The date was picked in July. :o

The epo and AO seem really favorable. You are in a great position for this possible storm.

Gefs has a signal further south but you should cash in before everyone else does.

Euro ensembles have the disturbance as well. It's 9-10 days out so it doesn't really matter at this point but there's going to be some legit cold around and if the embedded shortwaves cooperate then it's totally realistic to see a snow threat. 

Its not like 11/8-9 is the same as October....we're starting to get into more realistic time frames for first measurable...esp for interior zones and into NNE non-mountains. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro ensembles have the disturbance as well. It's 9-10 days out so it doesn't really matter at this point but there's going to be some legit cold around and if the embedded shortwaves cooperate then it's totally realistic to see a snow threat. 

Its not like 11/8-9 is the same as October....we're starting to get into more realistic time frames for first measurable...esp for interior zones and into NNE non-mountains. 

Yup, solid points

The otherwise knee jerk defensive shtick gets a bit tedious -

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup, solid points

The otherwise knee jerk defensive shtick is but tedious -

Of course, the 12z run is now dropping the PV lobe way west compared to 00z and that changes the whole d8-10 look. :lol:

But that's another Arctic blizzard for the front range. 

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Measurable snow by then shouldn’t be remotely surprising for the mountain valleys around here.  Mean (as well as median) date for first measurable at our site is 10/20 ± 11 days, so the 11/8 would be well past 1 S.D. and actually closer to 2 S.D.  Not that we couldn’t get measurable snow before that, but 11/8 for first accumulation would be in the bottom 4 to 5% of seasons based on the data set thus far.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Plenty of time to trend north. 

Euro goes cutter this run. Screaming south winds. 

Cold wont be denied though eventually even on this look...checkout that building over EPO block at d9...sending another brutal arctic shot south but it would end up a lot further east wth the block bullying its way into the central arctic. Either way, prob getting some real cold...exact evolution/dates TBD

IMG_3706.PNG

• Like 1

Just now, J.Spin said:

Measurable snow by then shouldn’t be remotely surprising for the mountain valleys around here.  Mean (as well as median) date for first measurable at our site is 10/20 ± 11 days, so the 11/8 would be well past 1 S.D. and actually closer to 2 S.D.  Not that we couldn’t get measurable snow before that, but 11/8 for first accumulation would be in the bottom 4 to 5% of seasons based on the data set thus far.

I count you as mountains since you enjoy the advantage of the upslope components. I was more speaking for areas like central NH over to the lakes region in Maine eastward to midcoast. Those areas usually require something a bit more than moist CAA flow to generate measurable snow. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Cold wont be denied though eventually even on this look...checkout that building over EPO block at d9...sending another brutal arctic shot south but it would end up a lot further east wth the block bullying its way into the central arctic. Either way, prob getting some real cold...exact evolution/dates TBD

IMG_3706.PNG

I’m completely fine with that. No black hole near Alaska. Weenies need to repeat that. No black hole near Alaska.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_3706.PNG

every time that look shows up a massive pv lobe eventually swings across the country 

Just now, forkyfork said:

every time that look shows up a massive pv lobe eventually swings across the country 

Yeah that's actually pretty classic for mid-winter extreme Arctic outbreaks. I remember years ago going back and looking at our top 10-15 worst ones and a huge majority of them have a big positive height anomaly deep into the Arctic Ocean versus just over AK. There's a bit of Atlantic support on this setup too. 

For those rooting for snow, it's actually probably better to cut the 11/8 system and delay the heart of the cold plunge several days. The longwave pattern gets a bit more favorable and you gain some climo (esp up in the source region where they are losing 5-6 minutes a day of sun). 

• Like 2

Ok, let me ask you something ... what happens if we apply a subtle correction to atone for the Euro bias?  

Thing is, it would not take much to get the flow down stream N of the Lakes into a confluence with that arm of polar high extending east of the initial -EPO load.  Beyond D6 ..

I dunno man that's dangerous look for the whole U..S actually.   Lots of possibilities there..  I mean I get it it's hard maybe to see outside that box but the model was too far west with this pattern change; how could we forget. We said the Euro could be too deep in the SW several times.  Well..  

One thing I will note..the flow is fast - let's not forget that.  Embedded impulse works ( not that anyone said otherwise ) are liable to be an open wave bottle rocket variety.