Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

Just now, dendrite said:

IIRC the GFS ran almost up to par with the EC error wise when used with the EC initialization years ago. So maybe we need to stop beating around the bush and go full 4DVAR and none of this hybrid crap.

Yes, I remember that study. I don't believe the new FV3 has changed much, the GFS and GEM have been running toe to toe and considerably behind the ECMWF and UKMET for some time. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

IIRC the GFS ran almost up to par with the EC error wise when used with the EC initialization years ago. So maybe we need to stop beating around the bush and go full 4DVAR and none of this hybrid crap.

I could live with the GFS not coming out before lunchtime if it was as good as the Euro.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I could live with the GFS not coming out before lunchtime if it was as good as the Euro.

I mean seriously...we could all stop paying for Euro data if the error becomes negligible. All of these fancy maps with hundreds of variables and levels would finally become useful. Having just a handful of mandatory levels on the euro hurts for soundings and x-sections. Maybe I'd even view a few of Wizzy's weenie point-click 102hr GFS soundings showing 15000 joules over a silo in Topeka.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I mean seriously...we could all stop paying for Euro data if the error becomes negligible. All of these fancy maps with hundreds of variables and levels would finally become useful. Having just a handful of mandatory levels on the euro hurts for soundings and x-sections. Maybe I'd even view a few of Wizzy's weenie point-click 102hr GFS soundings showing 15000 joules over a silo in Topeka.

Or it forces EC to improve faster than they already are. The weather enterprise is undeniably better off when you have more than one elite model. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Or it forces EC to improve faster than they already are. The weather enterprise is undeniably better off when you have more than one elite model. 

I mean how high can it go? EC op AC is consistently 0.92ish and has started to almost flatline over the last 5+ years. I'd assume the major improvements would be in that d6-10 range as the errors exponentially worsen.

image.png

EC is almost a full day better than the competition in the LR already.

image.png

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Its not going to be good this winter when you have a legit threat when your only going to be able to rely on one or two med range models with limited charts to forecast.

I like watching TV weathercasts when the graphics are all pretty and NAM based and the OCM (say Harvey for instance) comes on and says something like "yeah, this sim radar graphic is showing this but don't really believe it...I think this will happen...".

Just now, dendrite said:

I mean how high can it go? EC op AC is consistently 0.92ish and has started to almost flatline over the last 5+ years. I'd assume the major improvements would be in that d6-10 range as the errors exponentially worsen.

EC is almost a full day better than the competition in the LR already.

Obviously some of those improvements are "cosmetic" to an extent. I mean the big selling point of the GFS was that you could get it 4 times a day! Well now you can get the Euro that often too. And hourly data. So while the skill isn't necessarily improving rapidly, the utility of the model is.

Just now, dendrite said:

I like watching TV weathercasts when the graphics are all pretty and NAM based and the OCM (say Harvey for instance) comes on and says something like "yeah, this sim radar graphic is showing this but don't really believe it...I think this will happen...".

Your going to see more on air mets have to modify there forecast going forward or there's going to be some big bust with the ones that weigh the GFS model quite heavily in there forecast from what i have seen so far.

Just now, dryslot said:

Your going to see more on air mets have to modify there forecast going forward or there's going to be some big bust with the ones that weigh the GFS model quite heavily in there forecast from what i have seen so far.

Look at Scott's example for ORD. If those stations were airing GFS snowfall maps, they just got halved or worse for tonight's broadcast.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Look at Scott's example for ORD. If those stations were airing GFS snowfall maps, they just got halved or worse for tonight's broadcast.

Yeah, You would have to take them down just based on that run, A more conservative approach is going to lead to more credibility in this instance and with a cold bias you may still be wrong in the end without weighing the GFS on a lower percentage, Going to be rough going forward.

Just now, dryslot said:

Yeah, You would have to take them down just based on that run, A more conservative approach is going to lead to more credibility in this instance and with a cold bias you may still be wrong in the end without weighing the GFS on a lower percentage, Going to be rough going forward.

A strong argument for Kevin's favorite type of forecasting. Probabilistic.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gonna be really hard for him to ignore the FV3 when it's showing a snow blitz and the euro says not a chance. 

I haven’t used or looked at the GFS in probably 8 years. How many times did I say that over the years? Finally now you guys all aren’t even looking at it. Countless mets say they don’t use it or even look at it .  Kev knows . 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Maybe we should just forward the 10 commandments of winter wx forecasting to Uccellini and tell him not to approve any GFS upgrades until the commandments have been answered? 

• Haha 1