• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

Feels like a weenie to say this, but it's not out of the question first flakes at least for some if the EPS is right near the 11/9-11/11 period. At some point when the cold settles in for a few days...we may either get a disturbance rotating through, or WAA as we come out, causes something perhaps frozen. Both scenarios aren't exactly hard to imagine. 

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Feels like a weenie to say this, but it's not out of the question first flakes at least for some if the EPS is right near the 11/9-11/11 period. At some point when the cold settles in for a few days...we may either get a disturbance rotating through, or WAA as we come out, causes something perhaps frozen. Both scenarios aren't exactly hard to imagine. 

Def looks like the main vortex gets far enough south to put us on the north side of any disturbance that gets embedded in the flow. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s going to be a long winter with the FV3.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That model sucks out loud. 

That roll out was fundamentally flawed. Lots of pomp and circumstance, but there wasn't much actual improvement to model performance. The guts were what was transformed, for future performance improvements. 

That is not at all how the press releases sounded. 

Never mind the stuff that actually broke with the transition, like the low/mid level cold bias.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

It's 4th behind the Euro, Ukie, and CMC on days 3-5 500 height correlation. :o

I try...I really try to give it some credit. But as you pointed out, you run the risk of actually making your forecast worse when incorporating it. And this is not good for the weather community. If the FV3 is making itself irrelevant and the ECMWF is the one to use...well then replace the mets with the Euro. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I try...I really try to give it some credit. But as you pointed out, you run the risk of actually making your forecast worse when incorporating it. And this is not good for the weather community. If the FV3 is making itself irrelevant and the ECMWF is the one to use...well then replace the mets with the Euro. 

Yeah, this is going to be the proverbial turning of the cruise ship. It doesn't happen overnight, but at least we're moving in a better direction.