Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,514
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
WxUSAF

Fall Foliage 2019

Recommended Posts

Definitely seeing some color on certain trees and vines. Poison ivy showing some red and some maples have color. Maybe stress induced from the dry weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaves started dropping from trees surrounding my house about 3-4 weeks ago and the rate steadily increases. I initially thought it was due to the July heatwave and stress introduced by drier weather, but have noticed a bit more color in the leaves within the last week, both those still on trees and which continue to fall. Don't remember any color starting quite this early in recent years. Early start on autumn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Definitely seeing some color on certain trees and vines. Poison ivy showing some red and some maples have color. Maybe stress induced from the dry weather?

So now we have the polar opposite conditions from this time last year...lol So would we see earlier foliage as opposed to later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we get some rain fast, otherwise it's going to be a quick leaf drop.  Lots of trees look stressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So now we have the polar opposite conditions from this time last year...lol So would we see earlier foliage as opposed to later?

Last year was super late with how warm and wet it was. Definitely well ahead of that pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Last year was super late with how warm and wet it was. Definitely well ahead of that pace. 

So what you're saying is that it's going to be an amazing winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Last year was super late with how warm and wet it was. Definitely well ahead of that pace. 

I don't recall it being warm at the end of last Summer. I just remember it being dark, damp, and cool seemingly everyday in August and September. My memory has failed me before though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I don't recall it being warm at the end of last Summer. I just remember it being dark, damp, and cool seemingly everyday in August and September. My memory has failed me before though. 

Last September was 5.2F above normal at BWI and the first 11 days of October were an absolute torch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Last September was 5.2F above normal at BWI and the first 11 days of October were an absolute torch. 

It was a ****ing disaster.

So far, this year looking no better.

There is some early color around.   In this un-ending warmth,  I'm not sure why.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It was a ****ing disaster.

So far, this year looking no better. There is some early color around. 

In this un-ending warmth,  I'm not sure why.

Heat and drought stress. It's not from fall weather.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It was a ****ing disaster.

So far, this year looking no better.

There is some early color around.   In this un-ending warmth,  I'm not sure why.

By color, you mean doodoo brown. Upon closer inspection, it just seems to be because, as already mentioned, dryness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

 

By color, you mean doodoo brown. Upon closer inspection, it just seems to be because, as already mentioned, dryness.

Actually, there are maples here with nice red color.  It's not brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It was a ****ing disaster.

So far, this year looking no better.

There is some early color around.   In this un-ending warmth,  I'm not sure why.

CPC outlook through November is a torch.  We're heading towards another unbearable winter it seems.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

CPC outlook through November is a torch.  We're heading towards another unbearable winter it seems.

Is this your equivalent of training camp/preseason games in getting ready for this coming winter? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Is this your equivalent of training camp/preseason games in getting ready for this coming winter? :)

I'm giving it until Dec 31.  If we don't have at least 1 warning event or one on the horizon then I'm out.  

 

It would be nice to get a soaking 1" - 3" of rain regionwide in the next week to 10 days.  We can still recover the foliage season or at least part of it if we can tilt back to a wetter regime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm giving it until Dec 31.  If we don't have at least 1 warning event or one on the horizon then I'm out.  

Using that criteria for previous seasons you could probably redefine 1/2 to 2/3 of our good/great seasons as bad ones. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×