Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

2 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

I don't want to be told by a State let alone a one world governing body how to live. I find young people annoying. They play their music loud in and out of their cars at night and I want peace and quiet in my home. There are urban centric people who don't mind other people's noise living in close proximity to neighbors. Then there are people like me who don't want to hear my neighbors music/TV or in some cases bathroom sounds while I'm in my home with my windows open. If you want that, God bless you but don't think that I and many Americans like me will ever conform to the type of mandated living standards the UN envisions. For the record, I have space but live in what I consider a walkable community with access to  sidewalks, a village and miles of NYS protected hiking trails in the Hudson Highlands less than a 10 min walk from my front door. Do I need to drive 7-15 min to access busier commercial areas where I shop? Absolutely. I like it that way. I don't need light, noise pollution where I live nor need to hear my neighbors business. I'm sitting here peacefully by myself along the Hudson River near West Point watching the line of rain creep down towards me. That's how how I want to live my life, not in a socially engineered community

You live in a society and have to obey by a social contract that helps govern resource use and societal structure. You're welcome to live in a rural area. No one (even the UN) is going to tell you not to. However, we should stop subsidizing that lifestyle as a default. There are enormous external costs to suburbia that are currently paid by society as a whole.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

You live in a society and have to obey by a social contract that helps govern resource use and societal structure. You're welcome to live in a rural area. No one (even the UN) is going to tell you not to. However, we should stop subsidizing that lifestyle as a default. There are enormous external costs to suburbia that are currently paid by society as a whole.

Does "rural area" equal "suburbia", as the above seems to imply?  And who gets to determine the social contract, to quantify the enormous external costs, and to decide what and how subsidies would be eliminated?  Maybe nobody will tell me not to live where I do, but property tax rates could be augmented by a giant national (or beyond) surcharge to account for how selfishly wasteful we're supposedly living, which could force my hand.  We burn locally harvested wood as our major heat source, keep the thermostat at 62 (woodstove is in our living room) and haven't run the AC since 2013.  However, we live 500' from our nearest neighbor on a gravel road, so in some people's minds that would put a big financial bullseye on our place even though our carbon footprint seems relatively modest, at least by US standards.

Rain has arrived in Augusta - still light so I'm heading out before it gets serious (if it ever does today.)

30 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

Lol what costs do you pay for me. 

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Does "rural area" equal "suburbia", as the above seems to imply?  And who gets to determine the social contract, to quantify the enormous external costs, and to decide what and how subsidies would be eliminated?  Maybe nobody will tell me not to live where I do, but property tax rates could be augmented by a giant national (or beyond) surcharge to account for how selfishly wasteful we're supposedly living, which could force my hand.  We burn locally harvested wood as our major heat source, keep the thermostat at 62 (woodstove is in our living room) and haven't run the AC since 2013.  However, we live 500' from our nearest neighbor on a gravel road, so in some people's minds that would put a big financial bullseye on our place even though our carbon footprint seems relatively modest, at least by US standards.

Rain has arrived in Augusta - still light so I'm heading out before it gets serious (if it ever does today.)

Not necessarily. That is my fault for being imprecise in my language. For social contracts, I'm speaking in the Lockean or Rousseauian sense. For some background, you can find information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

I do want to point out that I'm not trying to make a moral argument that you and your lifestyle are bad.

Subsidies are both direct and indirect, and they touch on fiscal policy, city planning, tax incentives, history, and a variety of other factors. I won't take up a large amount of space in this thread writing out what others have studied and spoken about more eloquently. I would direct you here: https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/03/how-much-sprawl-costs-america/388481/ for a quick primer on what I am discussing. 

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol what costs do you pay for me. 

Sorry, didn't see this before. I live in a suburb, so I'll speak for myself: I make money in a city, pay my taxes to state and town. Use state infrastructure and, in particular, city services and infrastructure without paying anything for it. When I leave at night, I take my tax revenue with me.

2 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

Sorry, didn't see this before. I live in a suburb, so I'll speak for myself: I make money in a city, pay my taxes to state and town. Use state infrastructure and, in particular, city services and infrastructure without paying anything for it. When I leave at night, I take my tax revenue with me.

cities are subsidized by your state taxes, great majority of tax revenue is distributed to cities. Oh you pay 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

cities are subsidized by your state taxes, great majority of tax revenue is distributed to cities. Oh you pay 

Yes, but that's far from an accurate picture of the cause and effect.

That said, we can put this discussion to bed. The temperature has dropped by 20 degrees outside and it's ended up being a lovely evening.

How's this for a kielbasa post -

if you stuck this Kleenex and tissue paper on the Benchmark in all it's multi-nodal glory, it would cold-conveyor-belt snow all the way to San Francisco - while denuding Boston, Ny and the entire Jersey shore completely off the face of the planet ...

image.thumb.png.f5639ee896754c1a9cfc0fe47c3770f2.png

....And Trump would blame Obama ... and rural America would toe-the-line on that accusation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This isn’t directed at anyone here or any particular political leaning, but given the posts above I wanted to chime in. 

I always find the generational arguments amusing. I was just on my college campus and happened upon a museum exhibit on life at the college during the 60s and early 70s. My generation couldn’t hold a candle to that kind of upheaval and craziness. 

Then you have the people who emphatically believe that millennials broke/are breaking the world, but conveniently forget that millennials are only now becoming a majority in the workplace and eligible voter pool. We didn’t vote for decades of foreign wars, out of control spending and borrowing, unfunded mandates, and untrustworthy politicians at every level. We certainly didn’t craft the kind of economy where you need to essentially take out a mortgage before your mid 20s and call it getting an education—just to have a shot at a semi-stable job subject to the whims of a global economy.

That’s not to say my generation or any other is without some pretty significant flaws, but even as I get annoyed with the generation coming up I have to check myself. The only example they have is from us “older” folk, and I don’t think we in general do a particularly good job with that. 

The Industrial Revolution caused it all... Not a single generation since...  It excited profligate expenditure and entitlement attitudes to the environment which --> directly to why we're all most likely not going to make it, because we are ( most likely )  either: unwilling; unable to change.  And the Mets on here ..rolling their eyes as to "why" countless die due to dwindling provisions, disease, social duress, as they tell us heat waves aren't caused by GW.  People don't realize... the apocalypse is sociologically driven, as much as geo-physically responding to our presence.  We can't break the million-500 thousand years of prior human evolution-instinct, which meant for all humans ( save Geoffry Dahmer) to seek cooperation bonds that were always needed in order to survive ...

Catch-22:  evolution advances a species into a scenario where the evolution of the species ends it's reign. 

We are some 8, billion and change population by 20 years, and that may as well be 8, billion and change sovereignties all vying for special proxy ... as though the afforded-individualism the Industrial Revolution conveniences provide to their arrogance and entitlements must be unstoppable and elevate them to godly provinces - 

.... and it won't work

But, if we need to blame Millennials and Kevin ... hey, no argument here man -