Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

14 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Yeah, the greenheads can be nasty on some of the outer cape beaches.  Always seem to stay close to the ground and go for the legs.  Have had to resort to putting on long pants on occasion at the beach.  Any suggestions for good repellents?

Quick hands?

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Deer flies don't like suburbs, they need clean   undisturbed wetland areas and like woods.... had none in Natick.....have a ton here...similar to black flies.  DEET does not deter them.  

At my foothills location I feel put upon if more than 2 deerflies are circling.  When I worked in the Allagash-St. John woods, there would be dozens.  I don't like wearing a hat in the woods when it's hot, and those tiny T-Rexes would home in on the whorl and it's low hair density.  Squash one there and 10 more would come to the funeral, expecting a meal.  My un-favoritest experience with greenheads came at Tuckerton, NJ, about 15 miles north from ACY.  We'd fish on great Bay and come in about when the sea breeze died, and the greenheads would swarm.  Since we were elbow-deep in slime and guts while cleaning our catch, swatting the attacking beasts had unpleasant consequences. 

Cloudy and humid 70s in Augusta, and should be raining an hour from now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The older we all get the more we like the HHH . It just happens 

Works for some; I may be the exception.  I tolerated HHH better while working at the beach in NNJ back in the '60s.  Cold doesn't bother me any more than it did back then.  I no longer go ice fishing at subzero temps, but that's mainly due to the cold mandating near-constant tending of my topwater traps, and even re-drilling holes (hand auger) as the sides close in.

Cool down next week is de-amplifying slowly across new cycles, too 

---- 

Thursday to Friday impressed me in the 00z operational Euro run.  The Euro and NAM look similar at this point.  They've coalesced around a weakly close low S of SNE during the Thursday ... With somewhat higher surface pressure lobed around central and N NE .. light easterly anomalies penetrate throughout the region ( terminating somewhere in NE PA ) ... Temperatures likely will held into the 60s or early 70s despite whatever MOS is indicating...  

Friday?  93-97  ...  It looks like 21 .. 22 C at 850 mb over top a mixing west wind burst to the coast in the afternoon.  Circa 1 to 3pm probably tsunamis heat if that does that.

That could be 25 to 30 F turn around 24 hours. .. which, I suppose we've gone the other way when shock BDs p-wave a bomb blast of cold air before..  But it's not just temperature.  DP goes from 61 mist to 75 blue tinted hill side stingin' sweat in the eyes.  The air's going to smell like continental crotch rot.  Granted...I'm just using the less refined synoptic charts we get at the PSU type sites... but, using those ..this appears to be a clear and abrupt bulk turn around .. replacing marine/summer cP ...with deep cT air.. and very abrupt change across an unusually disparate difference.  

Admittedly ..I was casting aspersions at the notion of  a quick turn-around on Friday, yesterday...but, we are inside the Euro's particular verification dominance and also... the run its self has less overall idiosyncratic nuances offering distraction and just looks cleaner?  But, yeah... this then goes on to be unperturbed heat through Sunday, which the onus now falls the GFS to put up or shut up being that where we are relative to model performances ...    Basically, this looks like 93 to 100 Fri-Sun, period. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Cool down next weej is de-amplifying slowly across new cycles, too 

---- 

Thursday to Friday impressed me in the 00z operational Euro run.  The Euro and NAM look similar at this point.  They've coalesced around a weakly close low S of SNE during the Thursday ... With somewhat higher surface pressure lobed around central and N NE .. light easterly anomalies penetrate throughout the region ( terminating somewhere in NE PA ) ... Temperatures likely will held into the 60s or early 70s despite whatever MOS is indicating...  

Friday?  93-97  ...  It looks like 21 .. 22 C at 850 mb over top a mixing west wind burst to the coast in the afternoon.  Circa 1 to 3pm probably tsunamis heat if that does that.

That could be 25 to 30 F turn around 24 hours. .. which, I suppose we've gone the other way when shock BDs p-wave a bomb blast of cold air before..  But it's not just temperature.  DP goes form 61 mist to 75 blue tinted hill side sweat and eye sting.  The air's going to smell like continental crotch rot.  Granted...I'm just using the less refined synoptic charts we get at the PSU type sites... but, using those ..this appears to be a clear and abrupt bulk turn around .. replacing marine/summer cP ...with deep cT air.. and very abrupt change across an unusually disparate difference.  

Admittedly ..I was casting aspersions at the notion of  a quick turn-around on Friday, yesterday...but, we are inside the Euro's particular verification dominance and also... the run its self has less overall idiosyncratic nuances offering distraction and just looks cleaner?  But, yeah... this then goes on to be unperturbed heat through Sunday, which the onus now falls the GFS to put up or shut up being that where we are relative to model performances ...    Basically, this looks like 93 to 100 Fri-Sun, period. 

Next week seems more of a meh down. Dews will drop down to near 60 for a bit, but you can still see a lot of 85-90 days based on the look 

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

they like the eastern beaches. they are particularly bad on some of the beaches north of Boston. it's funny though, i have never seen them north of that area of MA. and i have never seen them on the cape. Cranes Beach in Ipswich, while a beautiful area, is famous for the little green-headed m-fers. there is no escaping them

Import some dragon flies and you won't see any of them, When we have the dragon flies at the golf course, The horse/deer flies are no where to be found, They pick them off right in mid air.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sun should be out in at least partly sunny format, esp SNE later morning and aftn. Will be a hot one.

I was just looking at that ... and comparing to the hashing for SPC's SLIGHT that's primarily for S of the Pike... 

I wonder if that should be extended to southern VT/NH given the satellite trends. It appears we peel this open over the next hour or two... and gosh, what a high launch pad.  I feel we are uniquely ( for our area) initially situated for creating a CAPE anomaly to put it nicely - 

By the way folks...this air is clearly of Barry guts origin.   This reminded me exactly of that which engulfed the area the evening after Gloria blew through that fateful day back in 1985.  The air had a kind of pithy heat - it's different than just high heat and humidity. It's hard to put a finger on it..but you can tell visceral WV thermal energy from continental stuff..  It's like the air is rich chocolate.  Metaphors aside... the other aspect is just how homogeneous it is ... It was 76 at my place at 6:30 am ... which is about at the top of where I have ever seen the temperature at that particular hour and location in the 10 years I've lived there. Then, at none of the typical cool points along the commute did the temperature deviate.  76 ...everywhere.  That's strange.  Even at the Shrewbury light ...where a 4 to 6 F plunk is guaranteed... 76 ... That's tropical goop.

So, anyway... sat seems to suggest we get some solar dosing into that - hmm

Hot tips:

Get near and in Water

the end

Sun breaking through and a breeze developed feels great after a morning swim. Love it. Chores all done, dogs indicator says dog days are here for a while. Definitely need rain let it pour. Tomorrow's highs will feel like Spring then we blast in the heat. Cities empty as people seek relief. Talked to a businessman owner in Misquamicut yesterday.  Best summer for him ever so far. Told me the beaches were closed to more people by 1000 AM Sunday,thats upper tens  of thousands of peeps seeking relief. This weekend should be nutz at the beaches and state parks. Hopefully no major power outages like yesterday on Staten Island. Dangerous to the elderly and babies.

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

No sun at all so far . Temps stagnant 

It's not going to be 'sunny'  ?  

hope that's not the impression  :) 

there should be some sun intervals during the mid day... 'nough to goose the temp and perhaps build SB CAPE and aid destablization... as latter concerns. 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hot tips:

Get near and in Water

the end

Sun breaking through and a breeze developed feels great after a morning swim. Love it. Chores all done, dogs indicator says dog days are here for a while. Definitely need rain let it pour. Tomorrow's highs will feel like Spring then we blast in the heat. Cities empty as people seek relief. Talked to a businessman owner in Misquamicut yesterday.  Best summer for him ever so far. Told me the beaches were closed to more people by 1000 AM Sunday,thats upper tens  of thousands of peeps seeking relief. This weekend should be nutz at the beaches and state parks. Hopefully no major power outages like yesterday on Staten Island. Dangerous to the elderly and babies.

The beaches are among the more dangerous locales Saturday.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Import some dragon flies and you won't see any of them, When we have the dragon flies at the golf course, The horse/deer flies are no where to be found, They pick them off right in mid air.

Huh maybe thats why I have little issue with deer flies, lots of dragon flies. Love the bi wing ones. Have to get a picture of this black and white bi wing, beautiful 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Huh maybe thats why I have little issue with deer flies, lots of dragon flies. Love the bi wing ones. Have to get a picture of this black and white bi wing, beautiful 

Yup, The dragon flies are your friend, They are the enemy to the greenheads, deer and horse flies, That's why i welcome them when i see them around.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Works for some; I may be the exception.  I tolerated HHH better while working at the beach in NNJ back in the '60s.  Cold doesn't bother me any more than it did back then.  I no longer go ice fishing at subzero temps, but that's mainly due to the cold mandating near-constant tending of my topwater traps, and even re-drilling holes (hand auger) as the sides close in.

I was at Bradley Beach in early July 1966 with temps near 100.  Sand was unwalkable without shoes.  Some beautiful young lady around our age (19-20 then) had to stand on our blanket to survive.  Was fun!