• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

The main takeaway is the fact that we now have those soft summer evenings and the feel of the season that we remember from our childhood.  Last night I got home by 6:15.  After dinner I headed out to hike in the hood including time in the woods.  Lathered up with heavy duty deet and while bugs were around, they avoided me.  Deet FTMFW.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The main takeaway is the fact that we now have those soft summer evenings and the feel of the season that we remember from our childhood.  Last night I got home by 6:15.  After dinner I headed out to hike in the hood including time in the woods.  Lathered up with heavy duty deet and while bugs were around, they avoided me.  Deet FTMFW.

The psycho-babblist in me wants to have a field day with that statement right there...  :) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Your local deerflies must've gone to bed already, or are a much different breed than ours, which treat DEET as salad dressing. (or au jus)

Who is more childish, the one person who makes a passing comment on dews, or the 15 people who can't ignore the comment

Posting science-based counter-evidence doesn't seem childish, though like anything one can take it too far.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Your local deerflies must've gone to bed already, or are a much different breed than ours, which treat DEET as salad dressing. (or au jus)

Who is more childish, the one person who makes a passing comment on dews, or the 15 people who can't ignore the comment

Posting science-based counter-evidence doesn't seem childish, though like anything one can take it too far.

I’m thinking that deer flies aren’t as prevalent in urban-ish areas.  ‘Fella is in the city, albeit in a gentler part of the city I think.

Strangely the flies were noticeably less hungry this morning on our walk that yesterday, despite the higher dews.   I can’t figure out their pattern.

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Lol....remember Manero’s?

46 minutes ago, psv88 said:

And the 15 of you take the bait every time. Anytime he mentions dews, 15 people post going crazy. Just an outsider browsing from time to time.

Who is more childish, the one person who makes a passing comment on dews, or the 15 people who can't ignore the comment, and instead, spend 2 hours bashing one person. It's bizarre. 

It’s entertaining and predictable. I’d love to see everyone at a GTG

It's really not that hard...in the summer, you apply a discount to Kevin's numbers like we do in the winter.

When he says dews near 70....he really means like low 60s with only the davis stations in a mulch garden reading near 70. When he says temps near 90, he really means BDL getting to like 87 and everyone else is 83 and ORH is 79. In the winter, we usually know his 4-8" forecasts usually mean 3-5" with a few lollis to 6"+ and when he says a foot, it's really 6-10" with a lolli to 12 in a lucky band.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m thinking that deer flies aren’t as prevalent in urban-ish areas.  ‘Fella is in the city, albeit in a gentler part of the city I think.

Strangely the flies were noticeably less hungry this morning on our walk that yesterday, despite the higher dews.   I can’t figure out their pattern.

I have noticed over the years that they like darker colored clothing and hats that people wear as opposed to light colors.

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That’s when I take the bait... even knowing he’s trolling, I hate non-factual information or just blatantly wrong hyperbole.

We get enough of it in the media and politicians.... don’t need to do it on a science based forum.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's really not that hard...in the summer, you apply a discount to Kevin's numbers like we do in the winter.

When he says dews near 70....he really means like low 60s with only the davis stations in a mulch garden reading near 70. When he says temps near 90, he really means BDL getting to like 87 and everyone else is 83 and ORH is 79. In the winter, we usually know his 4-8" forecasts usually mean 3-5" with a few lollis to 6"+ and when he says a foot, it's really 6-10" with a lolli to 12 in a lucky band.

It’s a pretty good Formula

and with powderfreak upslope forecasts you add 30% to his forecast amounts :)

to be clear I’m not doing a comparison between powder posts and Rev’s lol. Just forecast snow amounts . Rev is in a universe all his own

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I have noticed over the years that they like darker colored clothing and hats that people wear as opposed to light colors.

Yeah. A lot of folks seem to think they prefer blue as well.  One friend of ours will put a blue solo cup covered in sticky stuff on his hat when he is using his tractor. After mowing or digging or whatever he will have a couple of dozen stuck to the cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yup that’s the best way.  Like the other day when he said mid/upper 60s dews at the mulch bed but ORH had a Td of 49F and 55F at BDL.  

And always assume quoted temps are from BDL and quoted dews are under a sprinkler.  

Any rain will also likely be downplayed significantly...unless it’s from severe storms at which point it’s time for tornadoes.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s when I take the bait... even knowing he’s trolling, I hate non-factual information or just blatantly wrong hyperbole.

We get enough of it in the media and politicians.... don’t need to do it on a science based forum.   

This times ten. Just to set the record straight with facts is an issue.

Deer flies not an issue here.

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s a pretty good Formula

and with powderfreak upslope forecasts you add 30% to his forecast amounts :)

Yup you probably should.  I run conservative depending on the event, I don’t want to over-promise skiers.  Better to expect 8” and get 12”.  

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

people should print this as a reminder

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. A lot of folks seem to think they prefer blue as well.  One friend of ours will put a blue solo cup covered in sticky stuff on his hat when he is using his tractor. After mowing or digging or whatever he will have a couple of dozen stuck to the cup.

Blue seems to be the color, When i was golfing, And we were on the green where they were a nuisance,  I would take my hat and hang it on my putter and put my arm straight up in the air so it was 12' or so above my head and they would just keep buzzing around the hat..............:lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup you probably should.  I run conservative depending on the event, I don’t want to over-promise skiers.  Better to expect 8” and get 12”.  

You end up being much more credible that way, And folks will take you more serious.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's all done in good jest ... yeah I know - 

But still, wouldn't it be easier just to rely on King's English?  There's already a word for the antic, and it is "exaggerator" ... everything else is rhetoric for a chuckle, understood. 

He certainly loves the attention - which I'm unfortunately giving him here.  He doesn't seem to care if said attention is negative or positive, either.  We can probably suspect with a fair amount of confidence ... the attention he seeks, is the sole mechanism for the constant hyperbolic stream of twaddle.  It's the reaction/response pleasure game for him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Lol....remember Manero’s?

Had no clue.  Search engine turned up a couple references to a now-closed CT steakhouse (the au jus?) and many more references to places in FL.  I'm guessing your reference ain't for the Sunshine State.

Given my residence location and those of family, I've not been very far off the interstates in CT, which generally means missing the good places.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had no clue.  Search engine turned up a couple references to a now-closed CT steakhouse (the au jus?) and many more references to places in FL.  I'm guessing your reference ain't for the Sunshine State.

Given my residence location and those of family, I've not been very far off the interstates in CT, which generally means missing the good places.

Back in NNJ Manero’s was the cat’s meow....where your parents took you after dad got his bonus...lol.  I can’t remember where but pretty sure it was somewhere in Bergen County.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's all done in good jest ... yeah I know - 

But still, wouldn't it be easier just to rely on King's English?  There's already a word for the antic, and it is "exaggerator" ... everything else is rhetoric for a chuckle, understood. 

He certainly loves the attention - which I'm unfortunately giving him here.  He doesn't seem to care if said attention is negative or positive, either.  We can probably suspect with a fair amount of confidence ... the attention he seeks, is the sole mechanism for the constant hyperbolic stream of twaddle.  It's the reaction/response pleasure game for him.

It’s the sole reason Nurse Dewy changed her SN and began a similar online persona. 

Hm ... Hi res vis satellite looping this morning must be doing a seriously good job at belying the actual 'center' for this fledgling TC, Barry, because there is no way in hell looking at said loop that one would be inclined to believe NHC's fix of 27.8/88.7 is where this thing is actually located... 

Fascinating...  They do mention, "..although it is still elongated and multiple cloud swirls are seen rotating around the mean center. .." so that must explain ( or plausibly can..) these inconsistencies.  They are also playing much better homage/attention to the fact that shear is present... Also, dry air contamination ...so this discussion is much improved overall.  

Can't beat RECON fixes...  Satellite is the biggest liar of all observational tools in the shed ... I remember back years ago... there was a system moving through the eastern Caribbean... It was a monster on satellite, with a CDO like feature so cold there was no spectral color-coding analysis ...It was like an 'event-horizon' inside of it ... gnarly black and the term 'ominous' offered more hope for survival compared to the certainty of doom cast by these satellite impressions... Seriously. Scary.  It was surrounded by a massive massive exhaust plume, too, that persisted for a couple days... In which NHC had it fixed as a strong tropical storm/borderline Cane... maybe even frightened for what they'd might actually find when finally, they got a RECON flight inside there ...

Open wave with almost no counter-flow from the west.

Yup, despite the Chicxulubean impact satellite cinema ... the S. side of the previously believe closed system .. pretty much didn't exist...

I think even 24 hours later... the depth and awesome spectacle of the convection on satellite did simmer down and exposed almost a nothing system by the time it succeed Hisp. longitude... while S of that island. .. I think it eventually limped into the Yuk as depression.      

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Back in NNJ Manero’s was the cat’s meow....where your parents took you after dad got his bonus...lol.  I can’t remember where but pretty sure it was somewhere in Bergen County.

My dad hated cats. :lol: 
He also wasn't much for restaurant dinners; most such excursions involved the Essex County branch of the family and were in their neighborhood.  From our home in Morris County, Bergen seemed about the same distance away as the like-named city in Norway.

A little more dewey out ahead of the front that sweeps thru over the next day or so, 75/65°F.

Temps at or below yesterday at this hour, but dews are sneaking in from the SW.  Noon TDs:
LEW: 67
AUG: 62
WVL: 58
BGR: 53

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My dad hated cats. :lol: 
He also wasn't much for restaurant dinners; most such excursions involved the Essex County branch of the family and were in their neighborhood.  From our home in Morris County, Bergen seemed about the same distance away as the like-named city in Norway.

A little more dewey out ahead of the front that sweeps thru over the next day or so, 75/65°F.

Temps at or below yesterday at this hour, but dews are sneaking in from the SW.  Noon TDs:
LEW: 67
AUG: 62
WVL: 58
BGR: 53

Yup, Sneaking up some, 75/67°F on my PWS.