Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

- instrumentation?   

what's at stake? 

We know that no instrument is exact - that's just quantum physical limitation ... That's one way to look at it.  Yeah yeah.. you're talking about bigger errors than decimals (suspecting...) But why exactly does it matter in the present conversation? 

Frankly, if a given site is off, isn't it ( most likely ) off by a consistent amount?  Just correct for that amount.  

I mean obviously it's better to have a given site calibrated to some acceptable standard for error, but, ...since we don't live in a perfect world - not sure why it matters if Boston is 97 when it's really 95.8 on a hot day ... or whatever.  What is gained back by it not quite being as hot by what ultimately is an in-germane amount.  It just seems a lot of energy (pun) is being applied to this as of late and it's crushingly obsessing

It's warm

It's warmer than normal

It's probably in some small part GW attributed ... but mostly just the pattern we are in... 

Whittling down a site from 97.6 to 95.9 doesn't alter the essence and significance of these statements.   

Hm.  I guess it depends on the application - I certainly wouldn't want my physician to be so cavalier with my pace-maker settings, huh haha.   

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Daytime temps are getting ridiculous. 

Yeah and they lost their cold bias low temp readings (due to ASOS being basically in a swamp)

Wonder if there's some fresh blacktop nearby or piles of rocks, lol. Who knows. BOS and OWD don't look like gradual change based on new mesos coming online. Looks like something physical rather than a statistical artifact. 

Below is BOS for reference. 

IMG_3149.PNG

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and they lost their cold bias low temp readings (due to ASOS being basically in a swamp)

Wonder if there's some fresh blacktop nearby or piles of rocks, lol. Who knows. BOS and OWD don't look like gradual change based on new mesos coming online. Looks like something physical rather than a statistical artifact. 

Below is BOS for reference. 

IMG_3149.PNG

Man, that's a shift.

I know this has been mentioned, but where do you bring those up again?

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Meanwhile, only 2.1" rn for the month. What's everyone else got?

At 2.65" here, thanks to the mini-jack Sunday evening.  Average for July is 3.92".  
Warmest here so far this year is 86° on the 20th, and I don't think today will beat it.  However, we're well on our way to sunny/m.sunny day #15 this month.  Previous best was 11 in 2010 and the average is closer to 5 (plus 20 days of partly cloudy, the default sky condition in our summers.)  I'm not a fan of big heat, but this is the nicest AN July I could ask for.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we aren't being data Nazi's....there is definitely something a little off with OWD and BOS.  Nobody cares amid the tweets I am seeing about a record month, but when we get 11" of snow in January with temps of 33-34...we shall revisit again. :) 

And it also mattered when talking record highs. At least to us in here. 

It doesn't change anything on the macro scale. We're not saying it hasn't been hot. But you cannot ignore that data either. 

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

NPR had a story on this the other day discussing techniques to prevent this and phone usage was not one of the reason why this happens.  In almost every case there is a change in routine.  Combine that with parents that are over tired and this is what happens.  I'm sure none of us have ever forgotten to do something when our routine changes.  ;)

Forgetting to do something is one thing, forgetting children in a car is gross negligence. And there isn't a single acceptable excuse for doing so. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we aren't being data Nazi's....there is definitely something a little off with OWD and BOS.  Nobody cares amid the tweets I am seeing about a record month, but when we get 11" of snow in January with temps of 33-34...we shall revisit again. :) 

Maybe it's a city thing.  Much of the infamous "Mayor Lindsey" storm in 1969 fell while KNYC was reporting 33°.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Forgetting to do something is one thing, forgetting children in a car is gross negligence. And there isn't a single acceptable excuse for doing so. 

Not saying there is but I'm just pointing out the data.  Like another poster said, it has happened to people of all walks of life.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Not saying there is but I'm just pointing out the data.  Like another poster said, it has happened to people of all walks of life.

Do you honestly think someone is going to admit that he/she was paying more attention to the phone than the kid(s) in the back seat of the vehicle?  People are distracted by their phones in all facets of life.  Far too many people have a smart phone addiction. 

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Do you honestly think someone is going to admit that he/she was paying more attention to the phone than the kid(s) in the back seat of the vehicle?  People are distracted by their phones in all facets of life.  Far too many people have a smart phone addiction. 

You should read the data.  Yes, distraction plays a role, however in the vast majority (99.9%) of cases, there was some kind of change in routine prior to the incident. 

I agree with you about smart phone addiction.  It's a rampant problem in society.  It's just one of the factors though in these cases.