• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

A dated article but I wonder how many sites experienced something similar in the past and/or are experiencing something similar now with the newer equipment. LWM is a well known "hot" spot for both morning lows and daily highs. 

wattsupwiththat.com/2008/01/10/inside-the-asos-ho83-tempdewpoint-sensor/

19 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

And the first half of met fall hence the later frosts and freezes. Of the last 20 Septembers, a handful were below normal, and a well below normal month is unheard of now. I guess it's the payback reversal from the late '80s and '90s.

Looking at my own record since 1985, most of my top 10 "coldest" September's were in the late 80s and early 90s.  Only 3 (2006, 2009 and 2013) are since 2000.

45 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Air quality was terrible this morning...  Still and stagnant overnight, we've capped civility's farts with unwanted proficiency - 

In the days of yore ...this would be pure Earth contamination ... bio-mist-related, which I'm sure came with it's own headaches.   But this...? it's ( headaches + mankind's putrescence)/2 = some kind of vagarious journey through wafts of various automobile exhaust types, then the ozone faux freshness its self, followed by something that smells like black mold spores...  dumpster fires... just eegh 

Edit, okay ... there is an AQ alert in addition to the heat alert in effect.  it's going to be a miserable one boys and girls.  

Was up on a hill in Leominster and the haze was pretty intense.  Looked like DC/Virginia on a hot day

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Gorgeous 

Glad I mowed yesterday.  Our son is working at a lumberyard all day loading and unloading.  He said it was miserable yesterday. I told him today would be worse.  

2.5 more weeks of working (with a nice vacation in there) then he will be in college. Get to it!

heavy, heavy pool today

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Glad I mowed yesterday.  Our son is working at a lumberyard all day loading and unloading.  He said it was miserable yesterday. I told him today would be worse.  

2.5 more weeks of working (with a nice vacation in there) then he will be in college. Get to it!

heavy, heavy pool today

Yes sir. I mowed last Thursday,  still low. Congrats on college woot woot. We had another granddaughter come into the world yesterday, time flies with kids. One minute you are changing their diaper next thing you know its college 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Man the 30s were cold, must have been those bad agricultural practices in the midwest, wait that only explains why it was hot 

1930s were dry....dust bowl era....epic drought in middle of country so not really conductive to high dew airmasses.

There's probably another anthropogenic trend in dewpoints that is unrelated to GHG warming....midwest/plains agriculture. We have far more corn acreage now than we did in the middle 20th century and it's a lot more productive and efficient. This will make airmases coming out of the plains more moist than previous years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe. But CON pulled many 30s for lows back in the 70s...kinda need 30s dews to do that. And we can barely get sub 50 lows in July now. 

A place that is well-mixed and not prone to other factors like radiational cooling (esp with UHI development) such as ORH airport makes me a bit suspicious when I see such a clean break like that. It's not claiming that the ASOS is the only source of the trend...of course it isn't. From a pure mathematical standpoint, we're going to see higher dews as we warm....every full degree C rise produces 7% more water vapor. But in addition to the underlying trend, it's always fascinating to me to find where else certain statistical oddities may come from.

That ORH graph is very unlikely to happen by pure chance....though unlikely doesn't mean impossible. In a warming world, we'd still expect cold Julys like 2000 and 2001 to have some sort of resemblance to early 1990s and 1980s cool Julys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1930s were dry....dust bowl era....epic drought in middle of country so not really conductive to high dew airmasses.

There's probably another anthropogenic trend in dewpoints that is unrelated to GHG warming....midwest/plains agriculture. We have far more corn acreage now than we did in the middle 20th century and it's a lot more productive and efficient. This will make airmases coming out of the plains more moist than previous years.

Those are temps in my graph

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

heavy, heavy pool today

If it's Maki, tell him to throw some good pallets in the scrap wood pile.....I need some. 

Today is our day to get a storm.  It was S of Pike yesterday, so it's our chance today. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Explain the high mins just one decade before 

1920s weren't nearly as dry as the 1930s? The '30s were pretty exceptional on both extremes...it had exceptionally cold temps and also exceptionally hot temps. The CONUS acted closer to a desert than at any other point.

Implications

Equation 2. Precipitable water (m).

Based on the “warming hole” theory, daytime maximum temperatures in the central U.S. will cool by 0.36-1.44°F during the summer months over the next 40 years. With increases in dew points throughout this area, relative humidities would be increasing. If this trend continues, the atmosphere in this region will come closer to saturation. This has implications for frequency of convective precipitation, precipitation amounts and intensity.

With the increase in dew-point temperature, agricultural animals and production processes may also be influenced. All animals have a thermal neutral zone where their performance is optimal and once outside of this zone, their performance decreases. This zone may be becoming smaller with the increase in dew points and decrease in daytime maximum temperatures.

One of the first impacts of heat stress on market animals such as hogs and cattle is a drop in food consumption (Stalder, 2006). The largest economic issue with animal heat stress is the reduction of productivity, whether putting on weight for meat production or poultry. The second issue is increased mortality rates; this is prevalent in the summer months where agricultural animal fatalities spike (St-Pierre et al, 2003). The third economic issue is the decline in the product quality (Stalder, 2006).

Such a large overall increase in dew points and potentially precipitation through the years, if it continues, will affect crop production, soil erosion, water supplies and human health. For instance, trends found a higher occurrence of dew-point temperatures exceeding 75°F; this is likely to intensify the impacts of heat waves in major cities.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A place that is well-mixed and not prone to other factors like radiational cooling (esp with UHI development) such as ORH airport makes me a bit suspicious when I see such a clean break like that. It's not claiming that the ASOS is the only source of the trend...of course it isn't. From a pure mathematical standpoint, we're going to see higher dews as we warm....every full degree C rise produces 7% more water vapor. But in addition to the underlying trend, it's always fascinating to me to find where else certain statistical oddities may come from.

That ORH graph is very unlikely to happen by pure chance....though unlikely doesn't mean impossible. In a warming world, we'd still expect cold Julys like 2000 and 2001 to have some sort of resemblance to early 1990s and 1980s cool Julys.

2000 and 2001 were cool, but we haven't pulled 30s at CON since the late 70s...and we had similar instrumentation until ASOS took over in the early to mid 90s.

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

just saw this tweet from the TWC.. if this is true more people need to be neutered.

22s

23 children have died this year after being left in a hot car. Please be aware of the risks and always remember to check your backseat.

Its is sick, and don't get me started on the number of dog deaths.This week a man in NYC , I feel horribly for him but, left his two 1 year old twins in the car all day while he worked, he forgot to drop them off at daycare