Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MAY 20, 2019 High Risk

OKStorm

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Best livestreams for the region? (TV stations, webcams, etc.)

I personally stream KOKH and KOCO from OKC. They're the calmest on air and KOCO has a helicopter. I think KAUZ in Witchita Falls may stream their severe coverage as well. KOKI in Tulsa streams their coverage. Hope that helped

20 minutes ago, METALSTORM said:

I personally stream KOKH and KOCO from OKC. They're the calmest on air and KOCO has a helicopter. I think KAUZ in Witchita Falls may stream their severe coverage as well. KOKI in Tulsa streams their coverage. Hope that helped

KOCO also have live streams for multiple storm chasers.  They are already active on their site.

• Like 1

Severestudios.com also has a few chasers live this morning.  Specifically Ken Engquist is in a great spot heading to an area just east of Amarillo as things begin to explode.  This will be an amazing day with endless hours of chase video to review in the coming weeks.  

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea looking incredible now.  Incredibly jealous I'm not out there. 

my wife vetoed today and I'm not entirely unhappy about that, my weather geekiness would've gotten the better of my safety.  And as a inexperienced chase I would've targeted dryline.  OK with 500M LCLs and 45kt storm motions? noooope nope nope nope

3 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

my wife vetoed today and I'm not entirely unhappy about that, my weather geekiness would've gotten the better of my safety.  And as a inexperienced chase I would've targeted dryline.  OK with 500M LCLs and 45kt storm motions? noooope nope nope nope

I'll never have enough money to storm chase, but I'd run out there in a heartbeat on a day like today.  @Ian (Twitter: @ islivingston), @Ellinwood (Twitter: @ ellinwoosh) and @wxmeddler (Twitter: @ wxmeddler) are all chasing out there today.

Since we have this thread emerging from the rubble of the main thread, I would suggest to the OP or a moderator to edit this thread title to May 20 2019 High Risk TX-OK outbreak or something similar.

Will repeat the basic overview of a post that I made in the other thread. The dynamics for this event actually continue to increase well beyond the daytime heating period so I would look for this major outbreak to sustain well into the overnight as it moves out of the TX panhandle into western and even central OK. Main threat will be later afternoon when dry line catches up to developing cold front now in TX panhandle to Midland-Odessa region. Dry line potential is high as shown by 20F dew points in east-central NM. 

Numerous supercells can be expected in vicinity of cold front and dry line especially when they get less separation under accelerating flow from west at upper levels. 

Some similarity to the Goodland KS situation only further south in this instance. Somewhere between Clinton OK and Wichita Falls TX might be location of most severe storm(s) of this outbreak but anywhere between Amarillo and OKC south into Wichita Falls region at high risk. 

• Like 3

The 1600Z sounding from Childress TX just shared on twitter shows basically no cap left and off the charts on every metric that you'd give a shit about.  And it's an ACTUAL sounding.  I've never seen anything like it. 

• Like 1

One thing worth mentioning is the appearance of several bands of confluence evident on visibile satellite here. These bands will provide somewhat of a focus for open warm sector supercells to develop on. This is one of the concerns I had last night with warm sector development remaining rather nebulous/slow to intensify essentially due to a lack of a boundary to focus things. The presence of these bands all but precludes that concern at this point. Dangerous day ahead.

727c676851678b7423c8568a4d9a2f30.png

Couple thing to remember, one is that thankfully there is much less population once you get west of OKC, certainly compared to say Alabama. Of course if only takes one storm in a bad spot to make for a very bad day. Second, As I mentioned in the other thead, very important for people to not seek shelter in a low lying area with the high flood risk. There were 13 flooding deaths in OKC metro during the El Reno event.