Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

13 hours ago, BrianW said:

Crazy how localized they are. I have never seen any around here in the New Haven area. If the fungus doesn't kill them this year there are going to be massive amounts of them. Look at the egg mass increase.

gypsy-moth-grid-poster-2016-print.jpg

2017-2018-egg-mass-survey-results.jpg

The red areas are the aerial survey defoliated acres. Pretty scary driving around and seeing all these massive dead oaks lining roads and near powerlines 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The red areas are the aerial survey defoliated acres. Pretty scary driving around and seeing all these massive dead oaks lining roads and near powerlines 

I’ve seen it so localized in town that one strip of 1-2 houses are bare and next 2 still some leaves . Even cases where one or 2 oaks in a yard bare, but other oaks in same yard not hit hard. Parts of town wiped out last 2 years while others minimal damage. Gotta be due to the wind distribution and where it blows them. I find it fascinating 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve seen it so localized in town that one strip of 1-2 houses are bare and next 2 still some leaves . Even cases where one or 2 oaks in a yard bare, but other oaks in same yard not hit hard. Parts of town wiped out last 2 years while others minimal damage. Gotta be due to the wind distribution and where it blows them. I find it fascinating 

save a leaf.  Grow maples.

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I did--pretty far along.  I was more eager to see sun than leaves.  Alas, heavy overcast the entire trip.  Warm though, car was reading 64* as I passed the sign welcoming me to the Blue.

The breaks of sun were mainly late morning -early afternoon . But it was muggy so the 60’s felt nice 

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Leaf out just starting here.  Expect big changes over the next week

Just starting here too.  Dave,  Im surprised your not further along as your 75 miles further south.  Tomorrow we have to drive down to Fall River Mass.  Will be nice to see spring in full force.

Dim sun up here this AM.  Black flies have not come out just yet

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you notice how everything was leafed out in the valley yesterday?

It's not, my red Maple and dogwoods still bare and most Oaks only have Catkin's.  The freeze last week really slowed the leafout. Only a few trees are fully leafed out. 0% advancement of the foliage on my oaks in one week since the freeze. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. Those wild 1-3” meso models posted never had a chance . Just a general .25 or so 

I don't remember anything showing 2-3" in your area but BDL nearing a half inch now is about 50% of what they showed yesterday.  

Glad you salvaged a nice day or at least only light rain.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don't remember anything showing 2-3" in your area but BDL nearing a half inch now is about 50% of what they showed yesterday.  

Glad you salvaged a nice day or at least only light rain.

Over 1/4" at Stafford. With low 50s it sounds like a nice Sunday.

The posts would be interesting if this was snow.

22 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

0.34 here overnight, currently 55F. Looks like more below normal temperatures here midweek and beyond. Hopefully we get the sunshine and 60's / 70's early next week.

Even if the ambient temp may be wanting, the strength of the May sun will feel good and explode the recently stunted growth.

11 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Even if the ambient temp may be wanting, the strength of the May sun will feel good and explode the recently stunted growth.

The freeze may have done some foliage damage. We  also had quite a few dead honey bees killed by the cold. Found alot of them that way in my garden.

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like drier air is trying to back in from SW ME to at least erode some of the lower clouds...especially E NH. Maybe we can get some breaks of thinner overcast to let the temp creep toward 60F.

Beautiful up here... 60F already and CLR at ASOS.  Opening windows as that sun feels much warmer than 60F.  Not quite deep blue skies, looks a bit hazy or some high moisture...but we'll take it.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Over 1/4" at Stafford. With low 50s it sounds like a nice Sunday.

The posts would be interesting if this was snow.

Violently throwing things at the wall inside the house as 2-5" of sand falls while the meso models 12 hours ago head-faked a 12-18" event.