joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

HREF and Fish looks good too. Even you may get Coc ks out

What is this Fish model?

HRRR has scattered afternoon showers down there and no clearing until you get to CAR.  But temps are in the 60s. Hopefully you get your sunny Saturday but looks like it may be difficult.

4pm sim radar.

IMG_3076.thumb.PNG.35d1b537a7d9080412a8847f3084df19.PNG

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

What is this Fish model?

HRRR has scattered afternoon showers down there and no clearing until you get to CAR.  But temps are in the 60s. Hopefully you get your sunny Saturday but looks like it may be difficult.

4pm sim radar.

IMG_3076.thumb.PNG.35d1b537a7d9080412a8847f3084df19.PNG

HREF which is Ryan’s favorite short range model. We good 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

HREF which is Ryan’s favorite short range model. We good 

You said HREF and Fish look good.  I know what HREF is but haven't heard of the Fish.  

HRRR has same temps as HREF but that graphic doesn't show sky cover or precip.  Hope it's sunny and warm for ya.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You said HREF and Fish look good.  I know what HREF is but haven't heard of the Fish.  

HRRR has same temps as HREF but that graphic doesn't show sky cover or precip.  Hope it's sunny and warm for ya.  

Prob not sunny but sunny breaks will do wonders for everyone and shorts/ tees 

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Rockpile is under 1" right now...probably a bad comp considering most of it blows off. I don't have the Tuck's numbers though.

Tuck probably made it almost to the equinox (autumnal, of course) in 1969.   Folks were contemplating the possibility of formation of the MWN glacier.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Prob not sunny but sunny breaks will do wonders for everyone and shorts/ tees 

Yeah agreed there.  I didn't see the dews but if temps are 60s with scattered showers that's probably lower T/Td depressions so it should feel decent even if it stays mostly cloudy.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Tuck probably made it almost to the equinox (autumnal, of course) in 1969.   Folks were contemplating the possibility of formation of the MWN glacier.

Wasn't it 2001 or somewhere in there Tux was being skied on Aug 1st?  That bowl builds to like 40+ feet deep.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Debbie after Debbie post lately en masse. Then the awful pictures of patchy old, crusty brownish glacier on a remote mountain. It's like some are stuck in the past and still in denial.

We move on once the crusty plow pile next to the driveway goes away and you can look up and not see white stripes coming down the neighborhood hill.  

I'm all for sunny 80F, got plenty to do to get ready for summer operations.

Not knowing Gypsy Moths are an invasive species and letting them prosper and calling it nature taking its course is  uneducated

From Joe Courtney 

This morning, I joined representatives from the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP), the University of Connecticut Extension Service, the federal Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and our local “Friends of the Pachaug Forest” advocacy organization for a tour to survey damage in the Pachaug State Forest caused by an infestation of gypsy moth caterpillars. The caterpillars, which feed on the leaves of a variety of trees, have caused widespread defoliation and a glut of dead and severely compromised trees throughout the Pachaug Forest a potentially major forest fire risk that will be costly to clean up. 

On our tour, we focused on new approaches to help address the gypsy moth outbreak at the federal level. I’ve been supportive of efforts by Connecticut DEEP to secure federal funding through the NRCS’s Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), which would make funds available to agricultural producers throughout state and private forests for help in clearing out dead and dying trees, and I’ve long been an advocate for supporting forest management by expanding the definition of “biomass” within the federal Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).  
Congress actually has a chance to help private citizens and our region as a whole find a way to turn this problem into an opportunity by expanding the uses for biomass within the RFS there is a goldmine of viable biomass to be found in the dead wood littered throughout the Pachaug Forest as a result of gypsy moth damage. Clearing out the dead trees and converting them into usable energy would be a win for everyone involved. As a carbon-neutral source of energy, biomass is a clean energy alternative that Connecticut should be taking full advantage of, and I’m working with a bipartisan group in Congress to pave the way for putting those resources to work. The severity of this issue requires a multi-faceted response from various levels of the government, and I am committed to working at the federal level to help secure resources needed to combat this mounting crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not knowing Gypsy Moths are an invasive species and letting them prosper and calling it nature taking its course is  uneducated

From Joe Courtney 

This morning, I joined representatives from the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP), the University of Connecticut Extension Service, the federal Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and our local “Friends of the Pachaug Forest” advocacy organization for a tour to survey damage in the Pachaug State Forest caused by an infestation of gypsy moth caterpillars. The caterpillars, which feed on the leaves of a variety of trees, have caused widespread defoliation and a glut of dead and severely compromised trees throughout the Pachaug Forest a potentially major forest fire risk that will be costly to clean up. 

On our tour, we focused on new approaches to help address the gypsy moth outbreak at the federal level. I’ve been supportive of efforts by Connecticut DEEP to secure federal funding through the NRCS’s Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), which would make funds available to agricultural producers throughout state and private forests for help in clearing out dead and dying trees, and I’ve long been an advocate for supporting forest management by expanding the definition of “biomass” within the federal Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).  
Congress actually has a chance to help private citizens and our region as a whole find a way to turn this problem into an opportunity by expanding the uses for biomass within the RFS there is a goldmine of viable biomass to be found in the dead wood littered throughout the Pachaug Forest as a result of gypsy moth damage. Clearing out the dead trees and converting them into usable energy would be a win for everyone involved. As a carbon-neutral source of energy, biomass is a clean energy alternative that Connecticut should be taking full advantage of, and I’m working with a bipartisan group in Congress to pave the way for putting those resources to work. The severity of this issue requires a multi-faceted response from various levels of the government, and I am committed to working at the federal level to help secure resources needed to combat this mounting crisis. 

Kill a 'munk, save a 'pillar

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Still nearly 2.5 feet above normal snowpack as of May 2nd. 

This shit is relentless...if not for the humid/warm stretch in April the mountain probably would still be around 90" depths up high.  

Just now in early May is the snowpack at the picnic tables getting down to what the normal curve maximum is in mid-winter.

IMG_3074.PNG.54ac68e81c1bac9873d209781f3ce017.PNG

My favorite time of year...strong storms, no leaf out w/ constant lightning and flooding rains. Envious

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

From Joe Courtney 

Areas in the NE should start doing some prescribed burns to help clean up the dead wood and forest floor.  Has New England ever had a wildfire season?