Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It does back statements up with facts though.  At least someone in the argument can show that they actually looked at something.  

Without a strong reasoning to go BN though, in today's climate if you don't have a strong cold signal the Las Vegas money is on AN.  I think the minimum temps will get it done, plus a couple hot days middle of next week.

This ^

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Gotta like how guidance starts June with a beaten down se ridge and starts popping it back up over TX...keeping us fairly normal. Still warm but nothing oppressive. Good sign for summer.

You won’t be able to hold it back once we get past the solstice.  My call has been hottest summer in 20 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Hold on...but when it was cold with a snow threat a week or 10 days ago, weren't you arguing that we should all be having more discussion about weather "normal" people want?  

<duck and run> 

;) 

Today was 5-stars all the way.  60-70F with low dews.  Brochure weather for the Chamber of Commerce.

No, you don't know how to read without bias apparently? 

If folks wanted to discuss the ( Meteorology) the anomaly of it in terms of empirical departures ...and useful speculative conjecture as to causalities that related to GW and other multi-variate indexes spanning decades ...  None of that was happening.   

As usual.. it was a snow humping biased gawk fest - that's what it comes off as...  And an enabled series of weather results that merely appease a particular drug addiction is not news either.. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nws claims it was calibrated and no issues. I already reached out to them. 

There's no sudden jump indicated there, but something definitely changed over the course of a few months. Lop off that 2.5-3F change and they're right in line with everyone for April.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's no sudden jump indicated there, but something definitely changed over the course of a few months. Lop off that 2.5-3F change and they're right in line with everyone for April.

I started noticing it last Fall. I've been making the case here at work and to everyone. I reached out to the NWS and basically amounted to a shrug emoji. I pointed out the examples of the climo reports relative to other stations, that website above, and how they got a foot of snow at 33-34F and were accreting ice at 33F. But, we'll just keep using BOS to show how COC it's been. The OCMs around here don't really have the attn to detail. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

You won’t be able to hold it back once we get past the solstice.  My call has been hottest summer in 20 years.

And it was supposed to be a rocking/snowy/cold winter too....that was wrong by most everybody as well.   I'm not thinking all that hot this year, nothing like last years Heat and Humidity duration at least.  We'll have our hot days, and Humid ones too, but I'm not thinking anything extraordinary.   It's all a guess anyways.

I was at a yard party on Saturday and there were two distinct consensus' when the season/climate stuff came up as it inevitably does in those social settings around circles of paper plates and draft beers ... Some thought the difference between this year's 'spring' and the last few is that this year we actually had one. Others complained like we seemed to do so in here, about plaguing chill and wet.

Not sure which reality is fairer described.  

I found the 'actual spring' side interesting.  Namely ... these were randoms chillin' and not complain?' -  how does that happen in American backyards... Their consensus was that it's not supposed to be outdoor party weather in April in New England; frankly, at the time I found that to be refreshingly unbiased and well ... true actually... whether it reflects this year appropriately or not.  "Weather" it be aphorisms like April showers bring May flowers, or facts ... our climate reality is that we definitely experience > 50 % of April's cool and wet ...at times, sunny with that faux mild to warm appeal, and well... does that sound familiar?   

Now, granted the stuff in the first 10 days of May was a bit off-putting ... sure.  But that in and of its self is/was not all that unusual for Spring in the Northeatern U.S. - we have cold anomalies as part of the Spring norm.  The difference could be substantiated if ever the entire spring were say ...> 85% dominated by insulting cold.  I'm not sure this year qualifies. Last year, despite being 80 a day in February that was book-ended by several in the 70s... we relapsed brutally in March with snow storms ... And I distinctly recall MLB rolling out the start of the season with mid afternoon temperatures around Northeast stadiums in the 30s clear to mid month!  I don't think May was sufficiently offsetting to really correct MAM either ... That may be more conducive for our complaints for this year, ironically...    

So it may also be hard to separate the empirical numbers from subjective ideology of what spring should be, then adding individual sensible observations. That's like three metrics at once.  The first is hard...The other two are really bullshit because all consensus is, is another word for compromise and acceptance of a norm - if one is lucky, their preference happens to fall on the median line.  

In the end, Spring is about changing of the guard from cold > 70% to cold < 30 % of the time... and of course to get to those ends, there will be peregrinations up and down along the way. Sound familiar?   I dunno .. but despite any personal protestations I might have leveled on the matter I am at times still struck with wonder as to how bad it's really been. Yesterday I piled out of the office thinking 69 F MOS numbers with bit of a breeze is nice but... was surprised to find it actually a 75 F. no breeze dry air gem.

• Like 1

I'm kinda of curious ... 

two days ago there was a lot of mainstream media headlining about the 'catastrophic' tornado outlook ... 

yesterday ... I didn't notice as much drama from those same sources, and even SPC didn't appear too elevated; yet, just taking a quick look at their storms reports graphic spanning the last three days, it almost seems yesterday was comparable to in tornado results to the day of the supposed catastrophic outbreak.  

Not attempting to impugn any one or agencies efforts ...but I wonder, if one day "looked" to be one thing and the other day turned out to actually do it, if that is a good opportunity to compare and contrast to identify why -

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm kinda of curious ... 

two days ago there was a lot of mainstream media headlining about the 'catastrophic' tornado outlook ... 

yesterday ... I didn't notice as much drama from those same sources, and even SPC didn't appear to elevated; yet, just taking a quick look at their storms reports graphic spanning the last three days, it almost seems yesterday was comparable to in tornado results to the day of the supposed catastrophic outbreak.  

Not attempting to impugn any one or agencies efforts ...but I wonder, if one day "looked" to be one thing and the other day turned out to actually do it, if that is a good opportunity to compare and contrast to identify why -

The forcing was more in question yesterday.  Shear and instability were present, it was just a matter of initiation.  Mesomodels started hinting that cells would form only about 18-24 hrs in advance. The high risk day they knew they'd have a lot of action, although the open warm sector may have underproduced compared with what was being advertised in the morning especially by the HRRR.

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

The forcing was more in question yesterday.  Shear and instability were present, it was just a matter of initiation.  Mesomodels started hinting that cells would form only about 18-24 hrs in advance. The high risk day they knew they'd have a lot of action, although the open warm sector may have underproduced compared with what was being advertised in the morning especially by the HRRR.

I forgot where i saw this but I saw something that smoke from Mexico may have advected into the region which yielded the H7 cap and temp rises which were not modeled. 

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I forgot where i saw this but I saw something that smoke from Mexico may have advected into the region which yielded the H7 cap and temp rises which were not modeled. 

Well it certainly was a beastly cap on the FWD special sounding.  Wasn't so obvious at OUN, but it's possible the smoke was still driving north up I35 when the balloon went up.

Anecdotally, I've seen quite a few lines/linear segments approach the DFW metroplex this year with the primary tornado risk being with any cells that popped out ahead, but remarkably little has popped.  And this is even with the backdrop of a ton of surface moisture for whatever that's worth.   Certainly no lack of overall convection, but the cap has seemed to hold until the main forcing has arrived.