Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,514
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu
    Joined
George BM

March Banter 2019

Recommended Posts

I may be the minority, but I will both track Friday like any other snow threat because the window for tracking is quickly closing and I want it to be warm and dry ASAP, lol.  Snow falling whenever is fun for me and especially my kids.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChangeYourScreenname said:

#buildthewall 

Last I checked it's a free country and building a wall isn't political it's common fuxking sense. 

And btw it's free speech something that liberals dont believe in unless it's okay for them and them only.  Hence the label snowflakes.

Wanna change my screen name go ahead and change it to #dontbeabitch

It's pretty crazy to change someone's screen name because you dont like it but welcome to 2019. Its political if you make it political 

 

1. You can't start a claim about what is political with something that is so blatantly tone def to current politics and expect to have any credibility.  

2. The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech"  That protects your freedom of expression from government persecution.  You cannot be jailed or punished legally for expressing your political opinions.  There is no government action here.   You have not been legally persecuted in any way.  Congress has passed no law.   Freedom of speech does not protect you from private consequences of your speech.  If you call your boss a moron you CAN be fired.  If you are a general a$$ hat all the time people will not like you.  When you say things that are socially unacceptable you can be shunned by society.  None of that has anything to do with the 1st Amendment.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Scraff did you watch the shootout yesterday?  Thank goodness Toronto sounded the replay horn since the refs stupidly didn't count the goal (clearly the goalie threw his stick at Ovi).  One of the most bizarre plays I've seen.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

@Scraff did you watch the shootout yesterday?  Thank goodness Toronto sounded the replay horn since the refs stupidly didn't count the goal (clearly the goalie threw his stick at Ovi).  One of the most bizarre plays I've seen.  

I love the goalie afterward still lying and saying he didn't throw his stick. Thank the lord replay gave us the goal or i would have lost my s**t. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

1. You can't start a claim about what is political with something that is so blatantly tone def to current politics and expect to have any credibility.  

2. The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech"  That protects your freedom of expression from government persecution.  You cannot be jailed or punished legally for expressing your political opinions.  There is no government action here.   You have not been legally persecuted in any way.  Congress has passed no law.   Freedom of speech does not protect you from private consequences of your speech.  If you call your boss a moron you CAN be fired.  If you are a general a$$ hat all the time people will not like you.  When you say things that are socially unacceptable you can be shunned by society.  None of that has anything to do with the 1st Amendment.  

Very good points here.  Especially the part about Congress (or the gov't in general) not making laws to abridge freedom of speech...not the same as a private entity such as a weather board setting rules on what discussion is allowed or what kinds of screen names one can use.  Same reason that many message boards have restrictions on "offensive language" (f bombs, other bad language, etc.), where posts get scrubbed.  Now if Congress passed a law that said that weather forums are not allowed to mention any political subject or have politically-charged names...*that* would clearly violate the 1st amendment.  And God forbid they say we can't discuss snow! :lol:

I don't mind a bit of political commentary in here from time to time...it's like anything else in life, we all experience it and it's probably difficult to completely avoid.  But nothing way out there or too heavy.  I also don't have a problem with banning certain types of usernames that are either blatantly offensive or what would be considered overtly political (even if meant humorously) for the given environment.  Obviously, that's a bit of a gray area but some things are obvious..."buildthewall" is more clearly a statement nearly as much as "MAGA", whether intended or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I love the goalie afterward still lying and saying he didn't throw his stick. Thank the lord replay gave us the goal or i would have lost my s**t. 

I screamed at the TV when the ref said no goal -- this is the perfect example of why replay is important for odd situations like this.  I honestly didn't know that was a rule (but it makes sense).  

Ovi had him clearly beat and didn't come close to even making contact with him/the stick.  Easy replay call.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switching gears a bit...

For those like me who like the big hits...there's an odd trend that has been running since 1993: Every 3-4 years, we get a storm of at least 11-12" snowfall:

1993: March                                  1996: Well, ya know...lol              2000: January storm                2003: PDII                                      2006:                                              2009/10: Need I say more?Lol  2014: 14" inch snowfall in Feb.  2015:                                              2016: Blizzard in January         

So...If we do not manage fluke 11"+ storm in the next couple of weeks, the trend would suggest that we could be due next year (we shall see...2014-2016 was an odd run, so if the trend breaks maybe we can blame that, lolol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March rant: 

As the days continue to pass and the average temperatures are rising with each new sunrise, my anxiety increases. The acceptance that bugs, pollen, heat, and humidity are right around the corner is settling in. 7 months of misery upcoming before we get another 5 month break. I long for the future when I move somewhere that stays below 70 degrees most of the year! You'd think as I get older the warm seasons would get easier but it seems with age it becomes more unbareable. Time to grasp onto each cold day and try to bottle it up. 

 

That was a bit overdramatic, but it does sum up my feelings about Spring/Summer. I hate it with a burning passion, unless I'm at the beach, that's the only place I can enjoy it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Switching gears a bit...

For those like me who like the big hits...there's an odd trend that has been running since 1993: Every 3-4 years, we get a storm of at least 11-12" snowfall:

1993: March                                  1996: Well, ya know...lol              2000: January storm                2003: PDII                                      2006:                                              2009/10: Need I say more?Lol  2014: 14" inch snowfall in Feb.  2015:                                              2016: Blizzard in January         

So...If we do not manage fluke 11"+ storm in the next couple of weeks, the trend would suggest that we could be due next year (we shall see...2014-2016 was an odd run, so if the trend breaks maybe we can blame that, lolol)

Some people actually got blitzed in 2006 from a storm in February. Not everyone got in on the goods though. Basically, an axis along 95 and 40 miles to the west got hammered and totals dwindled around the axis. It all melted in record time though. That was the storm that made me realize I wanted to be a meteorologist instead of a CPA (I loved both). Great storm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

March rant: 

As the days continue to pass and the average temperatures are rising with each new sunrise, my anxiety increases. The acceptance that bugs, pollen, heat, and humidity are right around the corner is settling in. 7 months of misery upcoming before we get another 5 month break. I long for the future when I move somewhere that stays below 70 degrees most of the year! You'd think as I get older the warm seasons would get easier but it seems with age it becomes more unbareable. Time to grasp onto each cold day and try to bottle it up. 

 

That was a bit overdramatic, but it does sum up my feelings about Spring/Summer. I hate it with a burning passion, unless I'm at the beach, that's the only place I can enjoy it. 

Ever since I was 12, I’ve been told sarcastically to move to Alaska. But if that’s how you really feel about the warmer seasons, then Alaska may actually be a perfect fit for your preferences.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

March rant: 

As the days continue to pass and the average temperatures are rising with each new sunrise, my anxiety increases. The acceptance that bugs, pollen, heat, and humidity are right around the corner is settling in. 7 months of misery upcoming before we get another 5 month break. I long for the future when I move somewhere that stays below 70 degrees most of the year! You'd think as I get older the warm seasons would get easier but it seems with age it becomes more unbareable. Time to grasp onto each cold day and try to bottle it up. 

 

That was a bit overdramatic, but it does sum up my feelings about Spring/Summer. I hate it with a burning passion, unless I'm at the beach, that's the only place I can enjoy it. 

One of the biggest reasons we moved from Virginia/ east coast.  No regrets, summer is now my favorite season.  Gotta take a big risk to move from the familiar but it is worth it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

March rant: 

As the days continue to pass and the average temperatures are rising with each new sunrise, my anxiety increases. The acceptance that bugs, pollen, heat, and humidity are right around the corner is settling in. 7 months of misery upcoming before we get another 5 month break. I long for the future when I move somewhere that stays below 70 degrees most of the year! You'd think as I get older the warm seasons would get easier but it seems with age it becomes more unbareable. Time to grasp onto each cold day and try to bottle it up. 

 

That was a bit overdramatic, but it does sum up my feelings about Spring/Summer. I hate it with a burning passion, unless I'm at the beach, that's the only place I can enjoy it. 

I don't mind the warmer temps and humidity as I grow older, and in fact, have come to prefer it (no matter how uncomfortable it is) as I get chilled to the bone very easily now. I have noticed during the past week that the "feel" of allergies in my nose and sinuses is starting, even if we haven't had an outbreak of full-on spring weather...and the songbirds are increasingly kicking up their noise at sunrise. Visited Fort Benning, GA last week, and they're several weeks to a month ahead of us on new growth, trees budding, etc. Even though it'll be pretty cold this week...I think that pollen/allergy season is very close here.  :|

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, H2O said:

I missed some stuff cause i was too busy out walking in the rain.  It was gorgeous!!  Have any of you ever gone walking in rain in 35F just for fun?  You all would be remiss not to.  It is the most lovely thing ever.  Almost super cooled moisture droplets cascading down and hitting my light parka like a mother licks her newborn to remove the afterbirth.  The chill from the cold damp air was akin to how a fawn shivers after leaving the womb.  I was one with nature.

When can we do this again?

Waterworld Jebwalking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unpopular opinion...official snow totals are overrated.  too many other variables play into my mind how good of a winter we had.  any frozen ponds?  how long did the snow stick around?  how many of these systems piled up on a snowboard only to get washed away by rain after a flip?

14 and 15 were outstanding winters if you like cold/snow.  this was generally not ideal.  one storm saved it, but with all the precip we've had, it really almost felt like winter was just a really long, drawn out late autumn.  i'm gonna probably go B-/C+.  there were a few noteworthy events, but they were the exception to the rule.

winter isn't over yet, but i'm not sure any storm will change my mind too much at this point given that it's already march...unless we're talking '93 or a reverse '01.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree. It can’t just be an objective (snow totals only) score. How we experience it matters. 

Some heavily weigh holiday snow 

Some weigh snow cover over snow events

Some only chase big dogs

None of it is wrong, it’s just how we operate as different people in different locations. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Totally agree. It can’t just be an objective (snow totals only) score. How we experience it matters. 

Some heavily weigh holiday snow 

Some weigh snow cover over snow events

Some only chase big dogs

None of it is wrong, it’s just how we operate as different people in different locations. 

 

You forgot....some aren't batshit crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

You forgot....some aren't batshit crazy

Let’s be real. If you’re posting here, you’re a little crazy. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 87storms said:

unpopular opinion...official snow totals are overrated.  too many other variables play into my mind how good of a winter we had.  any frozen ponds?  how long did the snow stick around?  how many of these systems piled up on a snowboard only to get washed away by rain after a flip?

14 and 15 were outstanding winters if you like cold/snow.  this was generally not ideal.  one storm saved it, but with all the precip we've had, it really almost felt like winter was just a really long, drawn out late autumn.  i'm gonna probably go B-/C+.  there were a few noteworthy events, but they were the exception to the rule.

winter isn't over yet, but i'm not sure any storm will change my mind too much at this point given that it's already march...unless we're talking '93 or a reverse '01.

 

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Totally agree. It can’t just be an objective (snow totals only) score. How we experience it matters. 

Some heavily weigh holiday snow 

Some weigh snow cover over snow events

Some only chase big dogs

None of it is wrong, it’s just how we operate as different people in different locations. 

 

Agree with what you both say.  It is subjective, for sure.  Obviously, there are some stand-out winters (02-03, 09-10, 13-14) that most everyone would put up as a top tier.  Like listing the best movies of all time.  But there are a lot of other variables for sure, and everyone has their own criteria.  Some have said that 15-16 was "meh" or worse, despite the historic blizzard, because much of that winter besides that storm had little to cheer about (certainly the record warm December sucked!).  Fair enough, I suppose.  But personally, that one week in January leading up to and through the blizzard "made it" for me.  And February wasn't totally awful...we got one decent event that was snow then ice around mid-month, and it wasn't a torch.  I've said this before, but I think 06-07 was pretty solid in my opinion, from about mid-January onward.  I actually liked that season for the most part even though it wasn't prolific with snow around metro DC.  Kind of a forgotten, underrated winter in some ways.  Extremely cold February, and though we just missed on the V-Day storm (getting sleet and ice instead), we still got a couple of nice events including that one.  Feb. 2015 was very similar in that regard, but we scored more snow.

I personally don't think we need a HECS to make it a great year.  We didn't really get one in 13-14 (unless you want to count the Feb. event as one, but not sure of that), but we had many moderate "MECS" type events and plenty of cold, which made it great because it was as close to a "door to door" winter as you'll see around here.  Even @Bob Chill I think said he was exhausted from tracking that year! :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ChangeYourScreenname said:

#buildthewall 

Last I checked it's a free country and building a wall isn't political it's common fuxking sense. 

And btw it's free speech something that liberals dont believe in unless it's okay for them and them only.  Hence the label snowflakes.

Wanna change my screen name go ahead and change it to #dontbeabitch

It's pretty crazy to change someone's screen name because you dont like it but welcome to 2019. Its political if you make it political 

 

why does weather have to become political? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

1. You can't start a claim about what is political with something that is so blatantly tone def to current politics and expect to have any credibility.  

2. The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech"  That protects your freedom of expression from government persecution.  You cannot be jailed or punished legally for expressing your political opinions.  There is no government action here.   You have not been legally persecuted in any way.  Congress has passed no law.   Freedom of speech does not protect you from private consequences of your speech.  If you call your boss a moron you CAN be fired.  If you are a general a$$ hat all the time people will not like you.  When you say things that are socially unacceptable you can be shunned by society.  None of that has anything to do with the 1st Amendment.  

Did someone really make him change his screen name??

I don't support the wall, generally because it really will not be effective and there are much better/ common sense ways to solve these problems.

But I don't know if it is right to make him change his screen name.  I think we should just let people stand up for what they believe in unless they are offending someone else or outwardly injuring someone.  

Just having it as his screen name, although probably a poor decision, wasn't really hurting anyone. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mappy said:

why does weather have to become political? 

Weather has been emphatically politicized.  Leave it to each thier own on whom to blame.

Hopefully, the board does not.

Oh, and March sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if we were to rate winters like best/worst movies of all time, how would one list the equivalence?  How's this for starters...?

Best:

2002-03:  Citizen Kane (Ji can cryptically blurt out "PD-II" instead of "Rosebud")

2009-10:  Casablanca ("HECS us Sam, HECS us again!")

2013-14:  Gone with the Wind ("With God as my witness, we'll never go snowless again!")

Worst:

2011-12:  Ishtar (OK, I never actually saw this one, but does it matter?!)

2001-02:  Plan 9 from Outer Space (now wait a minute, I kinda liked that movie in an MST 3000 kind of way, haha!)

2016-17:  Jurassic Park, the Lost World (2 hours of my life I cannot get back!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Some people actually got blitzed in 2006 from a storm in February. Not everyone got in on the goods though. Basically, an axis along 95 and 40 miles to the west got hammered and totals dwindled around the axis. It all melted in record time though. That was the storm that made me realize I wanted to be a meteorologist instead of a CPA (I loved both). Great storm. 

Yup...it was a good storm (the only one worthwhile that I recall from that winter!)...but definitely a gradient toward much better totals as you went west and north of the DC area, and especially up toward NYC as I recall.  Where I was at (Capitol Hill area in DC at the time), we got around 8".  And yeah, it was gone in a hurry, as it was in the 60s the following week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

So, if we were to rate winters like best/worst movies of all time, how would one list the equivalence?  How's this for starters...?

Best:

2002-03:  Citizen Kane (Ji can cryptically blurt out "PD-II" instead of "Rosebud")

2009-10:  Casablanca ("HECS us Sam, HECS us again!")

2013-14:  Gone with the Wind ("With God as my witness, we'll never go snowless again!")

Worst:

2011-12:  Ishtar (OK, I never actually saw this one, but does it matter?!)

2001-02:  Plan 9 from Outer Space (now wait a minute, I kinda liked that movie in an MST 3000 kind of way, haha!)

2016-17:  Jurassic Park, the Lost World (2 hours of my life I cannot get back!)

Anything is made bearable, nay spit-your-soda-through-your-nose funny, by viewing through the filter of MST3K...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Can we stop the conversation about Beachin's name?  

Get a 12" storm and i guarantee you nobody says a word. We all need snow, BAD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fozz said:

Ever since I was 12, I’ve been told sarcastically to move to Alaska. But if that’s how you really feel about the warmer seasons, then Alaska may actually be a perfect fit for your preferences.

Sounds like me. I've looked up some things in Alaska and as much as people joke to me about moving there, it really might not be that crazy of a notion. People do live there lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×