Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am ofc rooting for more of a GFS type solution, with a further SE track and later development. This type of evolution might get the mid levels cold enough for some snow here, probably towards the end of the event. Low probability though. Better chances along I-95.

Think you are in a rough spot no matter how you look at it, besides a possibly brief flip as the storm exits stage right. You would need the OBX exit solutions with a much more rapid intensification of the low then any model is currently projecting. Then you would have to hope that the low doesn't hug the coast. I guess that isn't impossible. But it is probably unlikely as we are within 36 hours of the event. But there is hope. $200 dollars for a room for the night as well as all the hot dogs you can eat. I will even splurge and spend the big bucks for the all beef ones. Can't ask for a better deal. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Think you are in a rough spot no matter how you look at it, besides a possibly brief flip as the storm exits stage right. You would need the OBX exit solutions with a much more rapid intensification of the low then any model is currently projecting. Then you would have to hope that the low doesn't hug the coast. I guess that isn't impossible. But it is probably unlikely as we are within 36 hours of the event. But there is hope. $200 dollars for a room for the night as well as all the hot dogs you can eat. I will even splurge and spend the big bucks for the all beef ones. Can't ask for a better deal. :D

Believe me I am not holding out much hope on this one. Gonna keep the incredible streak of cold rain events going.

How is your stock of Imperial coffee stout looking?

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Believe me I am not holding out much hope on this one. Gonna keep the incredible streak of cold rain events going.

How is your stock of Imperial coffee stout looking?

Just one left. Thinking about it I better run to the store and see if they have any left. Kind of sucks they are a seasonal beer.

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Funny what happens when you let one storm finish before talking about trends or final solutions. I suspect today's runs will show true trends. 

I hope.  I am in Baltimore County so a slight south trend puts me the in bullseye.  Seems like a legit wave.  

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Just one left. Thinking about it I better run to the store and see if they have any left. Kind of sucks they are a seasonal beer.

The Founders Breakfast stout is a good one and available all year. Another, more local, coffee stout is the Rise-Up from Evolution (Salisbury). Not sure how available it is up your way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This would tend to favor some colder thermal profiles, however a more southern track may also lessen the dynamic forcing to some extent especially the farther northwest one goes.

they should have just said "thread the needle".. 

3 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I hope.  I am in Baltimore County so a slight south trend puts me the in bullseye.  Seems like a legit wave.  

It could trend north my only point the other day was I thought we had to get this storm out of the way before talking about trends and such

2 hours ago, jayyy said:

Have seen this setup too many times to know we will be 90% snow here in central HoCo along 108.  Expect watches to be expanded SE by this afternoons package. 

Hope so. I think there could be a big difference between your location and mine. A 10-20mi shift would be huge, but that’s in the noise from last nights euro.

2 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Anybody else concerned about how the models have trended drier and drier with this system? Something to watch today is total precip totals from this. 

Not concerned about drier...do think daytime snow may be a bit of crusty wall booger but this appears to be a modest event for some at best...which I'm personally good with

1 minute ago, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, MD Snow said:
Anybody else concerned about how the models have trended drier and drier with this system? Something to watch today is total precip totals from this. 

Never saw this as a heavy precip event

Setup just a few runs ago argued for a somewhat high precip event and I do believe the models were spitting out 1-1.5 inches. But with the progressively flatter flow we are losing that. 

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Not concerned about drier...do think daytime snow may be a bit of crusty wall booger but this appears to be a modest event for some at best...which I'm personally good with

GFS just came in with under .5 inches. Any further cuts and you have to start questioning if rates can overcome the surface temps to give us anything more meaningful then a sloppy inch for the cities. 

@showmethesnow at this point I think we (the northern crew) need to stop rooting for a deamplification trend. The thermal boundary seems pretty locked in now and all the less amplified solutions are doing are killing the storm frankly. Yea a gfs type solution might get 2-3” into DC but at the expense of there being a 6”+ area anywhere. I hate rooting against a lot of snow in DC but if it means we get another 3-4” marginal event up here instead of 6-10” sorry I’m not taking another one for the team lol. 

I guess what I’m saying is given the depth of cold we have to work with I don’t see a way for this to be a big snow into DC. If it amps up enough it pushes the boundary to the NW and it’s a 6-10” snow NW VA and for us. If it trends weaker it might snow into DC but it’s no more than a 3-5” storm anywhere.   I don’t want to see this be a repeat of early March 2014 and become the pathetic waste that turned into. 

Best case scenario is an amped solution that thumps enough to get some decent snows into the cities while still crushing our area. But that’s a tightrope act. 

• Like 4

I think you’re right @psuhoffman about the weaker/drier trend. I’m also a bit worried about surface temps tomorrow afternoon and evening. 3k NAM is above freezing for almost everyone south of the M/D line even while it’s snowing. If it’s ripping, that will accumulate at 33-34, but light snow will mostly be white rain.

21 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

LWX zone forecast has route 28 as a dividing line in PWC.  See what happens today but any more SE and weaker it won’t help any of us for accumulating snow.  

A crappy, stale airmass isn't helping any of us. Need rates at the expense of over amped is not what we (PWC) do well. Either way, its something to track on an otherwise boring weekend.  

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow at this point I think we (the northern crew) need to stop rooting for a deamplification trend. The thermal boundary seems pretty locked in now and all the less amplified solutions are doing are killing the storm frankly. Yea a gfs type solution might get 2-3” into DC but at the expense of there being a 6”+ area anywhere. I hate rooting against a lot of snow in DC but if it means we get another 3-4” marginal event up here instead of 6-10” sorry I’m not taking another one for the team lol. 

I guess what I’m saying is given the depth of cold we have to work with I don’t see a way for this to be a big snow into DC. If it amps up enough it pushes the boundary to the NW and it’s a 6-10” snow NW VA and for us. If it trends weaker it might snow into DC but it’s no more than a 3-5” storm anywhere.   I don’t want to see this be a repeat of early March 2014 and become the pathetic waste that turned into. 

Best case scenario is an amped solution that thumps enough to get some decent snows into the cities while still crushing our area. But that’s a tightrope act. 

No doubt. I'm willing to the roll the dice if it means having a shot at 10 inches plus. Not only is the deamplification cutting back on qpf. it's also speeding the storm up making it roughly an eight hour event.