Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Who really cares if it’s not freezing on the pavement though, just my opinion. I don’t care I the trees are getting a little ice or the railing lol

I agree, but if it's raining and the temperature is below freezing it's still considered freezing rain lol. Just because it's not glazing all surfaces doesn't change that. It can snow and not accumulate. That doesn't mean it's not snowing lol. The original reason for my comment was to say that I think some people think freezing rain means literally frozen rain, like ice pellets, which is just not true. 

• Like 2

Just now, Steve25 said:

I agree, but if it's raining and the temperature is below freezing it's still considered freezing rain lol. Just because it's not glazing all surfaces doesn't change that. It can snow and not accumulate. That doesn't mean it's not snowing lol. The original reason for my comment was to say that I think some people think freezing rain means literally frozen rain, like ice pellets, which is just not true. 

Yeah a lot of people get freezing rain and sleet mixed up. 

• Like 1

A lot of regular folks not in the weather field act like weather should be black and white. It's either this or it's that. The reality is that weather is complicated. Things can melt when it's below freezing. Snow can fall but not accumulate. It can snow with temperatures above freezing. Those types of things aren't logical to the basic thinking. 

• Like 1

When I was in Westminster an hour ago the cloud cover wasn't as heavy even though it was snowing moderately and the temp rose to 31; snow was accumulating on snow only. Back in Owings Mills now and cloud cover is actually heavier and here and at least for the moment it's a little colder, at 30. Roads are worse here too (secondaries). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Except for the Baltimore city area between the northern crew and your area...we can't catch a real break yet.

Lol YET! Yeah it's strange how we've been in a bit of a Grand Canyon with these past couple storms. Screw zone north, jackpot south (and now vice-versa). Let's see if things change around if next week materializes! IF it does...I think we'll be happy! :)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic