Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And he lost every tree on his property.

Yeah probably....though he didn't live in ORH county yet.

The funny thing too is that it was upper 50s the day before and the ice storm didn't even have temps that cold...like 30-31F for most of the storm.

26 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Should we start a thread so we can wish-cast it our way? 

Honestly though I don't see how there's going to be any substantial ice when we'll have warm ground and trees from 60 degree temps. 

Are you serious....?????

You need to do some research on warm ground.... and now Trees????  Holy Smokes Minster you sound like an absolute idiot talking like that.   LMAO

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Does weatherbell give their NAO calculation methodology?

I can sort of see why the CPC is "meh" on it....there's still some low heights near Iceland/Norwegian Sea which actually does factor into the domain of the CPC calculation.

That pattern itself to me doesn't look like a classic +NAO though....it's got ridging over northern and central Greenland...so even if some lower heights over iceland, it's not really that important to us if there's ridging to the west of it.

Not that I can see, Wxbell is -2. But yeah its a bit of a mixed bag overall, there's been consistent blocking on the eastern side near Iceland/Scandinavia with low heights over Europe. CPC will automatically docs any -NAO calculation where there's a SE/Central Atlantic ridge. 

I don't really understand why the CPC AO uses 1000mb z and the NAO uses 500mb. Seems a like a disconnect. 

CNE and SNE has been fairly easy to forecast this winter...the model showing lowest snow numbers or no snow at all in the short to mid range has been correct most of the time, so one should just assume they are correct until proven wrong. The complete reverse of 2015....hopefully the trend bucks for the second half of February

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

CNE and SNE has been fairly easy to forecast this winter...the model showing lowest snow numbers or no snow at all in the short to mid range has been correct most of the time, so one should just assume they are correct until proven wrong. The complete reverse of 2015....hopefully the trend bucks for the second half of February

This has been why I have been hedging warmer in that system...at least in the mid levels, anyway. A bitter cold rain, some sleet and ice wouldn't surprise me...but don't

anticipate much snow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

The difference between wxbell and cpc calculation of NAO is over 2 stdev lol.  

And most of the time it’s the reverse where the CPC one is too negative.  It’s fairly unusual to see it be the other way around.  The CPC one if I remember correctly DT has said is biased negative when there is any sort of transient block or east based -NAO and tends to have problems biasing positive with heavily west based type of blocking 

Do many look at the indices and use to forecast? I don't even know when I've ever used the text values. I just fire up H5 and can see what's going on. the -NAO can be misrepresented when you have Davis Straits troughing, but a good ridge punching into Greenland can help give it the effect it would have if it were in the Davis Straits. A true classic -NAO is usually ridging in the Davis Straits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Do many look at the indices and use to forecast? I don't even know when I've ever used the text values. I just fire up H5 and can see what's going on. the -NAO can be misrepresented when you have Davis Straits troughing, but a good ridge punching into Greenland can help give it the effect it would have if it were in the Davis Straits. A true classic -NAO is usually ridging in the Davis Straits.

More of a curiosity for me.