Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Normally I wouldn’t say this but melting the walkways during this cutter is something I’m looking forward to.    Hard as hell just walking around without falling!

Yea, it’s needed. With a toddler and the wife 8 months cooking, any falls are problematic. Give me 6 foot snow banks with a clear walkway/driveway over this nuisance stuff if I had a choice.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, it’s needed. With a toddler and the wife 8 months cooking, any falls are problematic. Give me 6 foot snow banks with a clear walkway/driveway over this nuisance stuff if I had a choice.

Dangerous for your wife!   Fortunately my daughter was born here in late summer so it was a non issue.  My sons born in California so also a non issue.   Be careful and hope for an all snow system next.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I assume your area is similar to what I've got here a few miles west of Danbury. We got 4" of snow then filled that up with ~2" of freezing rain bringing it down to about 2" of pack then it glacierized (good word eh) and walking is a challenge. I had a heart attack 3 1/2 weeks ago then some ugly complications requiring surgery so my leg is f'd up which has messed with my balance and confidence walking on anything that isn't smooth. Just going out to the car is sketchy and not much fun.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This is going to be a real snow eater. 50s dews right into S NH and SW ME?

It's an interesting pack-retention experiment if folks let it... 

There's been discussion about "pack density" -  or the amt of water that is frozen into it, as being more resistant. It's a short duration warm up, so offers a unique opportunity for a controlled environmental test of those conjectures. 

They seem clad ... I mean, more actual frozen water should physically require more therms, whether by intensity or time-integral.   The question isn't whether it melts though - folks need to know the difference... The same amount melts, it's a matter of density having more mass, so it seems resilient but its really not. It simply means it has more frozen mass to "give back" to liquid phase state, so it seems to melt slower.  Not hard to visualize what this means; a loosely packed snow ball and an ice cube of roughly similar volume left on a counter top at room temperature ... come back in an hour: which does one imagine lasts longer. 

But that's the visualization ... the experiment should performed. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's an interesting pack-retention experiment if folks let it... 

There's been discussion about "pack density" -  or the amt of water that is frozen into it, as being more resistant. It's a short duration warm up, so offers a unique opportunity for a controlled environmental test of those conjectures. 

They seem clad ... I mean, more actual frozen water should physically require more therms, whether by intensity or time-integral.   The question isn't whether it melts though - folks need to know the difference... The same amount melts, it's a matter of density having more mass, so it seems resilient but its really not. It simply means it has more frozen mass to "give back" to liquid phase state, so it seems to melt slower.  

tip your thought Mon-Tues? Too little too late for development?

20 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I assume your area is similar to what I've got here a few miles west of Danbury. We got 4" of snow then filled that up with ~2" of freezing rain bringing it down to about 2" of pack then it glacierized (good word eh) and walking is a challenge. I had a heart attack 3 1/2 weeks ago then some ugly complications requiring surgery so my leg is f'd up which has messed with my balance and confidence walking on anything that isn't smooth. Just going out to the car is sketchy and not much fun.

Yea man, be careful and wish you a speedy recovery back to good health. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

It’s been the story of the winter. Snow and then it melts snow and then it melts snow and then it melts. I hope at some point we actually get a pack that builds for a month or so

Melting packs in sync with melting weenies. It’s the only phase we’ve timed correctly this season.

20 minutes ago, 512high said:

tip your thought Mon-Tues? Too little too late for development?

Yeah, that's my impression at this point in time.   Although ... It may be just the too little part. 

The problem is dreaded flow compression; there's too much ...  The trough in Canada is actually too much of a good thing - it's vastly pervasive and deeply cold, so much so that it's scale and degree of anomaly is "pressing" on the surround hemispheric medium (which is illustrated by all the geoptential height lines you see, in that there are an unusually large number of them), and that pressing ensues very strong ambient velocity --> individual S/W's are less differentiating on the flow, and less differentiating = negative wave interference. 

There are two forms of destructive wave interference really when we get down to it...  One is having two S/W too close to one another in the flow, and their wave spaces cancel enough of the other out to negate their individual potency... The other, is to have a S/W embedded in a raging planetary scaled maelstrom (such as that which we are seeing in the mid and extended range); the negation is happening between the larger, super-synoptic scale and the individual S/W(s).  

This is more of the latter type ... and as a result, that set up doesn't allow for the type of phasing that Mon/Tues time frame would require.... and so neither stream is potent enough to overcome the compression and sufficiently "hink" the flow enough for cyclogenesis on their own. 

Just keep in mind .. this all may read as though these are absolute limitations and mitigators... That's not true either.  Think of it this way... the highway these S/Ws are on have ginormous tolls ... where they have to offer up their first born son to go for a ride... 

The one after that ... the Euro attempts to phase ... but, if one is following this discussion logically/properly ... their immediate conclusion that the Euro is questionable would be the correct one.  Having said that ... something is probable in the flow at that time, regardless of how big or small or what shape and size... There's too much support from various ensemble clusters and operational version therefrom to ignore the potential... 

• Thanks 1