Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The system has a direct connection to the Gulf of Mexico, it’s not that models have trended drier, it’s that they have shifted the timing. In sooner, out sooner.

Yea the slowing down is also probably partly making it warmer, if it came in say midnight Saturday there would be some initial cooling but coming in now late Saturday afternoon is not ideal for getting surface temps to cooperate

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Yea the slowing down is also probably partly making it warmer, if it came in say midnight Saturday they'd be some initial cooling but coming in now late Saturday afternoon is not ideal for getting surface temps to cooperate

It’s really not surface temps, it’s the warm push at 850mb. Without that overrunning however you don’t have any storm. This would have been a weak coastal that tracked well South of us.

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea the slowing down is also probably partly making it warmer, if it came in say midnight Saturday there would be some initial cooling but coming in now late Saturday afternoon is not ideal for getting surface temps to cooperate

The Nam is coming in slower and a tad south. Not by much though. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s really not surface temps, it’s the warm push at 850mb. Without that overrunning however you don’t have any storm. This would have been a weak coastal that tracked well South of us.

Where you are and inland surface temps not the issue but for the coast they may be in terms of missing out on a front end dump, it'll be close. 

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Same for me. I'll be in Long Beach this weekend where it'll probably be a quick inch or two over to rain. Where I am now may be up to a few inches and some sleet before going to rain, but this isn't the type of storm that does well on the coastal plain. It's your classic North and West storm. 

Disagree. I think it rips ala feb 14 just long enough across the entire island to drop 3-6”. What happens after that is prob rain down there and ice northern Nassau west

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Over by 12z. Personally I think that’s wrong but the dry slot has been showing up more and more.

Unless other guidance shows this as a new trend, it’s hard to believe the length of this event really gets cut that short. It’s over, done, all she wrote that quickly? Definitely suspicious for now

I have a question = does the NWS get access to these model runs prior to us ? I ask because I thought that the Snow Map that the NWS put out at 7 pm was very bullish especially for my area as It called for 8 -12 for my part of Rockland and I don't know about you guys but nothing made me think that was on the table until possibly now and even now I'm hopeful but still think those #'s are high and would want to see more guidance South and cold

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I have a question = does the NWS get access to these model runs prior to us ? I ask because I thought that the Snow Map that the NWS put out at 7 pm was very bullish especially for my area as It called for 8 -12 for my part of Rockland and I don't know about you guys but nothing made me think that was on the table until possibly now and even now I'm hopeful but still think those #'s are high and would want to see more guidance South and cold

That had it at 8 to 12 most of the day. But they recently cut back

• Like 1