Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

1 minute ago, Angrysummons said:

It won't be fully sampled until Friday. The models are basically saying now, this energy is not that impressive. I could even see a further north move without one iota of improvement in terms of its structure just on general bias.............

Of course when something is in the dead lands of the central pacific.............it is not easy to sample. We have had several storms in the 120-144 range look incredible to only fizzle out 24-48 hours later.

Point is, you can’t bake a cake without the ingredients. Even if it fizzles out because the energy is unimpressive, for the 1st time this winter I feel like we have all of the other ingredients.

13 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

PIA total precip and snow?

thanks

Subtracting the small amount of precip that falls on Thursday, it looks like just under 0.5" qpf and about 7-8" on the Kuchera map.

The Kuchera map is putting out ratios around 20:1 on the northern end.  Wouldn't necessarily roll with that 5 days out but it should be a better indicator than the 10:1 map.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Subtracting the small amount of precip that falls on Thursday, it looks like just under 0.5" qpf and about 7-8" on the Kuchera map.

The Kuchera map is putting out ratios around 20:1 on the northern end.  Wouldn't necessarily roll with that 5 days out but it should be a better indicator than the 10:1 map.

A few soundings along I-80 show a rather deep DGZ and temps in the teens. Probably 20:1 is a touch overdone but somewhere around 13-17:1 seems reasonable. 

36 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Euro ensembles are solid. North of the OP.

Edit: would be hard pressed to find ensemble runs with such widespread 6”+ amounts.

Just to add onto this, the mean is stronger than last night's run at day 5.5 also there are many systems sub 1000 mb and travelling along or north of the Ohio River, so the op is by far the weaker and further south of any Euro data.

• Like 1

Typically these winter storms that require so many pieces to come together rarely pan out. Just so sensitive to the smallest of changes. So many PV's involved and that brutal high pressure. Honestly it is a crap shoot at this point. Feel like the high end potential of this isn't super high but feel like a moderate event is more likely. Not discounting a powerhouse storm but atm I'm not feeling confident in that

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Typically these winter storms that require so many pieces to come together rarely pan out. Just so sensitive to the smallest of changes. So many PV's involved and that brutal high pressure. Honestly it is a crap shoot at this point. Feel like the high end potential of this isn't super high but feel like a moderate event is more likely. Not discounting a powerhouse storm but atm I'm not feeling confident in that

??

25 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Typically these winter storms that require so many pieces to come together rarely pan out. Just so sensitive to the smallest of changes. So many PV's involved and that brutal high pressure. Honestly it is a crap shoot at this point. Feel like the high end p otential of this isn't super high but feel like a moderate event is more likely. Not discounting a powerhouse storm but atm I'm not feeling confident in that

whaadya mean? Yesterday it was a sure thing...I had a repeat already pegged of that February 2nd storm from several years back...but with stronger winds. Now it's complicated?:P

• Haha 2

I guess I should say multiple vorts involved instead. Just isn't looking like a slam dunk winter storm. A lot has to time right and position right. Also need to see if this thurs system is weak or amped. Not saying we won't see a major winter storm, just more complications than the last one. Not as clear cut

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I guess I should say multiple vorts involved instead. Just isn't looking like a slam dunk winter storm. A lot has to time right and position right. Also need to see if this thurs system is weak or amped. Not saying we won't see a major winter storm, just more complications than the last one. Not as clear cut

Yes there's more pieces but the possibility of a stronger storm as in wind and rates is much higher with this one as opposed to the last one.  Don't think this one is going to be a nice 24-36 hour pixie fest, should have more teeth if it pans out.:weenie:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

there is no such thing as a slam dunk winter storm. That said, you've got a lot of key players on the field as we enter a dramatic pattern change. Percentages are decent of a fairly widespread moderate to high end event impacting a good chunk of this forum.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

there is no such thing as a slam dunk winter storm. That said, you've got a lot of key players on the field as we enter a dramatic pattern change. Percentages are decent of a fairly widespread moderate to high end event impacting a good chunk of this forum.

Agree. Last weekend was no more of a slam dunk than this or any other storm. No storm is a slam dunk. But the signal for a widespread event is very strong.

3 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I mean last weekend was more so just a large long duration WAA snow event. Had a lot of lift and isentropic upglide ahead of a slow moving upper low. This system has quite a few more pieces that have to interact just right for it to go gangbusters. That's what I'm saying

Last weekend was definitely not a long duration WAA event.

The surface high/pressure gradient in GHD 2011 was mentioned earlier.  The gradient peaked at around 57 mb (1055 mb high and 998 mb low).  Whether we can get that kind of gradient with this one remains to be seen... most models are currently under.  

There are some old school rules for determining wind potential from the pressure gradient and distance between isobars.  Obviously the difference between the high and low doesn't tell the whole story since the distance matters too, among other factors.  Based on the current modeling, and assuming it doesn't back off on the pressures too much, I'd feel relatively confident about a zone of 40 mph gusts to the north of the track.  Certainly could go higher but that would be a decent starting point. 

• Like 1