cyclone77

Winter Storm!? Jan 12-13th, 2019

For those in Northern Illinois...

Some guidance is handling saturation terribly. That I've looked through so far, the NAM, 3km NAM, HRRR, RAP are all much to slow with advancing the snow, some by 4-5 hours. That could play a later roll in final accumulations.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

NWS trending down in the zones for STL..WTF is gong on? it changes sometimes in 30 minutes

306pm

OTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 14 TO 16 INCHES

451pm

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 12 TO 13 INCHES

804pm 

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 10 TO 13 INCHES

836pm TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 9 TO 11 INCHES

WTF why do they keep changing all the time almost every hour

1021pm

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 8 TO 10 INCHES

1106pm

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 11 TO 14 INCHES

1151pm

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 13 TO 16 INCHES

1235am

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 13 TO 16 INCHES

1251am

TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATION 12 TO 15 INCHES

• Haha 2

LOT

SHORT TERM  

252 AM CST  

THROUGH TONIGHT...  

A VERY SLOW MOVING AND MOISTURE RICH STORM SYSTEM WILL RESULT IN  
PERIODS OF ACCUMULATING SNOW THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND INTO TONIGHT.  
THE ONLY CHANGES TO THE GOING HEADLINES WAS TO ADD ANOTHER COUNTY  
NORTHWARD TOWARDS THE I-88 CORRIDOR AND TO ALSO EXTEND THE   
ADVISORY THROUGH 09Z TONIGHT.   

11 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like we're closing in on an inch here.  HRRR/RAP show over 1/2" of precip, so we look to make a run at 6".  Always nice to see things trend in the good direction in the final 12hrs instead of the opposite lol.  

You debbed your way to 6". Congrats! ;) :D

Radar returns crawling north around here...snow literally knocking on the back door, lol...but we are getting some flakes with whatever moves overhead. Still like somewhere in the 3-5" range for IKK... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

LOT

SHORT TERM  

252 AM CST  

THROUGH TONIGHT...  

A VERY SLOW MOVING AND MOISTURE RICH STORM SYSTEM WILL RESULT IN  
PERIODS OF ACCUMULATING SNOW THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND INTO TONIGHT.  
THE ONLY CHANGES TO THE GOING HEADLINES WAS TO ADD ANOTHER COUNTY  
NORTHWARD TOWARDS THE I-88 CORRIDOR AND TO ALSO EXTEND THE   
ADVISORY THROUGH 09Z TONIGHT.   

actually quite the bump in these parts along the I-88 corridor. Lot added us to the Advisory and bumped are totals from 1-2 to 3-5 inches. Fairly substantial change. Dry air still a concern. 

actually quite the bump in these parts along the I-88 corridor. Lot added us to the Advisory and bumped are totals from 1-2 to 3-5 inches. Fairly substantial change. Dry air still a concern. 

Dry air still winning in Kankakee County. No flakes yet despite the radar returns

7 minutes ago, King James said:

Dry air still winning in Kankakee County. No flakes yet despite the radar returns

yup. only saving grace maybe the slow movement of the storm which could eventually overcome the issue. Noticed LOT isn't expecting snow to commence until mid morning across my zones.:lightning:

image.png.8833fd47925c571a4d703c1cef4e8e6f.png

• Like 1

-SN and already a light coating here in southeast Naperville near DuPage/Will border. We should be in decent shape given the duration of this system. Had fairly low expectations earlier and been thinking an inch or two tops. But now I feel pretty good about hitting the range (3-4") my office forecast for this area, and at least getting into 2-3" range. Hoping for more, though small flake size this far north could be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

Dry air winning in Kokomo too.  Just a dusting and nothing is falling right now.  NWS already has trended down the morning forecast by a couple of inches.

zone for Kokomo called for 5-7" at 9:33pm last night. It calls for 6" on today's 3am issuance. maybe i'm missing something.

zone for Kokomo called for 5-7" at 9:33pm last night. It calls for 6" on today's 3am issuance. maybe i'm missing something.

Started snowing here in the 60954

49 minutes ago, King James said:

Started snowing here in the 60954

same out this way. sooner than expected. good trend, as I was worried about a shut out.

• Like 1

Got hammered overnight in Macomb, IL. I estimated anywhere from 7 to 9 inches this morning. Measured 7.0" at 6am, but haven't been out since. I shot some pretty good video of numerous cars stuck and even a snowplow stuck early this morning. Some of the roads were the worst I've ever been on and I got my 4 wheel drive SUV stuck twice. Some light and variable winds is creating some minor drifting on the backside of my apartment complex. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4hzwW6TcM&t=4s

• Like 1

Real nice uptick in projected accums in mby. Going to be a sharp cutoff as you get closer to the WI border, snow is having trouble making northward progression. 

Its also nice to have a daytime long duration snow storm. Been awhile since I haven’t had to watch the snow by streetlight 

• Like 2

Already picked up 3" here near Peru. Measured 2" about an hour ago, so rates are pretty hefty. Thinking we could end up over 6", which seemed unthinkable 12-18 hours ago.

15 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Real nice uptick in projected accums in mby. Going to be a sharp cutoff as you get closer to the WI border, snow is having trouble making northward progression. 

Its also nice to have a daytime long duration snow storm. Been awhile since I haven’t had to watch the snow by streetlight 

Ditto. This is a fun storm just in the fact it’s occurring mostly in daylight. The snow is definitely fluffier in nature than I had anticipated. It’s nice and powdery. If we just had any wind, this would be a whiteout. 

14 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

2.5" as of 1020am. It's been snowing roughly a 1/2" per hour the last several hours.

Seeing about the same rates here.  Starting to see some bigger dendrites mixing in with the pixie dust. Hope that dry slot doesn't make it this far N.