• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

102 is nice, moderate snow throughout the area. Looking more like a proper coastal.

Freezing line just south of DCA, runs to Charlottesville. S of that supposedly snow until you get to RIC or so.

Short range models will probably have a better grasp on the cold air?

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Pretty evenly distributed .3-.4 through our region. Trimmed back from 0z. That's 2 in a row with decreasing qpf in general. 

Boooo... that is not a trend I want to see continue. It looked better for coverage, but less for output.

Your post above (before this one) said 0Z as well - I know you meant 12Z

Just now, Interstate said:

The question is did it trim back from the 6z?

I never looked at 6z. Widespread 3-5" storm. Very evenly distributed and no big jackpot at all in central VA. The main difference is PA/north does better with the frontrunning piece. Our area is a step down from 0z but still a nice (and very welcome) event. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Boooo... that is not a trend I want to see continue. It looked better for coverage, but less for output.

Your post above said 0Z as well - I know you meant 12Z

I was comparing to 0z. QPF is less with 12z but not by much. The notable differences are no jackpot in VA and more snow in PA/north. Could be noise. I didn't see a significant trend in the upper levels in general. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was comparing to 0z. QPF is less with 12z but not by much. The notable differences are no jackpot in VA and more snow in PA/north. Could be noise. I didn't see a significant trend in the upper levels in general. 

Looks like Euro is pretty locked in, which I like to see with ~72-84 hours before onset.  And most of the precipitation is "easy" WAA snows.  Lock it up, sounds like a great event to me.

• Like 4

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

Every year it's so funny....during the model run this looks great, boy that's improved, wow....then bang. It's worse....so dang classic :)

This was a mixed message - better coverage - less fringworthy - but less QPF.. now we need the QPF to step up a notch or two - as every southern system has seemed to do (at least when it rains) and we will all do a snow dance!

Just now, PivotPoint said:

Not way out. And I was using 120hr to compare to the last 0z run to see what the strength was like exiting the coast or if there was still an organized slp coming up the coast. TT maps aren't the greatest

Yeah... you cannot compare TT Euro maps on 12 hour runs because the panels are in 24 hour increments. You would have to look at yesterday's 12z run

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Every year it's so funny....during the model run this looks great, boy that's improved, wow....then bang. It's worse....so dang classic :)

It looks more like noise imo. Reduced qpf was only due to slp to the SW being a little less organized. That could easily change. Could get worse too. Either way, we seem to be lasered in on a welcome event here. 3-5" of instant stickage high ratio snow isn't all that common here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Yeah I was just following along with the play-by-play on here and inside my head I was thinking, "Wow, it's happening, it's morphing into the coastal that we saw from some of the big GEFS hits." Uhhh, not even close apparently.

1 minute ago, Interstate said:

Yeah... you cannot compare TT Euro maps on 12 hour runs because the panels are in 24 hour increments. You would have to look at yesterday's 12z run

I know man. It wasn't apples to apples but it gave me the broad strokes to surmise that it wasn't a better trend for coastal hugging. which is what I was getting at. It exited the coast kinda lame. True?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It looks more like noise imo. Reduced qpf was only due to slp to the SW being a little less organized. That could easily change. Could get worse too. Either way, we seem to be lasered in on a welcome event here. 3-5" of instant stickage high ratio snow isn't all that common here. 

I thought through HR 72 it was looking much better then everything quickly elongated and weakened.

I'm with you...it needs to happen already. Just had a quick snow shower pass through so that was nice

Just now, PivotPoint said:

I know man. It wasn't apples to apples but it gave me the broad strokes to surmise that it wasn't a better trend for coastal hugging. which is what I was getting at. It exited the coast kinda lame. True?

I gotcha now... I thought you meant the overall run of the EURO... but you are just talking about the evolution of the coast low that could enhance our front end snow.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Only snows that happen with instant stickage are clippers and they only drop a meager 1-2" most of the time.  But those are super fun as EVERYTHING gets coated fast.

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm with you...it needs to happen already. Just had a quick snow shower pass through so that was nice

I'll wait until 0z tonight but I'm close to setting my bar @ 2" on this one. Could trend better because we have at least 48 hours before things really dial in. I did like seeing the northern extent on the euro increase. Would hate for the 1040 to rob everything. Too much confluence showing up for a big event now. Storm can look great in MO but if the top gets sheared off as it approaches it won't look great by the time it gets here. A 2-4/3-5 deal would put a smile on everyone's face except a select few. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic