Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Banter Thread

jburns

4 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

Sup. drives me nuts with a 2-hour delay...gaining nothing as temps go from 14 to 15 in 2 hours...the delay gains them nothing 

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know their schedule but school buses here run in the am dark this time of year. Better visibility is a good thing on possibly questionable roads.

10 hours ago, jburns said:

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know their schedule but school buses here run in the am dark this time of year. Better visibility is a good thing on possibly questionable roads.

That is true...roads around Todd and Meat Camp today are in terrible condition.  Wish everyone safe travels today.

14 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

There are some days where I feel like too much information is readily available these days. You have people complaining about day 10 threats but that is the name of the game now. I can remember vividly when the euro only went out around 144 hours and the GFS was out to 240. 

Hour 432 on the CFS is looking good :P

aaaa.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

I can't remember the last time we had a major severe weather outbreak. Wounder what this spring will be like. 

Yes; Brick and others have been mentioning over the past few years that the once certain seasons for severe, especially autumn, have changed in that regard.  I feel like it is at least a guaranteed interesting spring in terms of unusual weather systems, although I'm not sure if any would be severe, maybe just different enough to be noteworthy! 

1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

Yep, believe winter's over for most of us on this forum unless the models are waaay wrong.

I do think that there is at least a chance of a few to several colder wedge days during March and April. 

28 minutes ago, jburns said:

Personal.

You say potato, ... :P

I was just quoting what the station said:

“We have a difficult announcement to share with you tonight, involving a longtime member of our WRAL family. We need to let you know that chief meteorologist Greg Fishel is no longer with the company due to a personnel matter. Greg has asked that we share a written statement with you and you can find that in its entirety on wral.com.”

So, who knows what the true story is and even what the difference really is between personnel and personal matter?

Just now, jburns said:

It is a personnel matter to WRAL but a personal matter to Fischel.

Well, the wording of his statement "I take full responsibility for my actions ..." kind of suggests to me that he did something bad to someone else.  I could mention the first thing that comes to mind, but it would be baseless speculation.  Man, I am bummed  I grew up with him.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Well, the wording of his statement "I take full responsibility for my actions ..." kind of suggests to me that he did something bad to someone else.  I could mention the first thing that comes to mind, but it would be baseless speculation.  Man, I am bummed  I grew up with him.

Perhaps his FB post from 2017 is telling of some of the personal struggles he's been going through:

"Fishel has been open in Facebook posts about various struggles. In 2017, he wrote about how playing golf with his son (Fishel and his wife Kathy have two sons) turned too competitive and that a hobby he started for enjoyment was causing him to come home angry, so he was quitting the game.

Fishel wrote: “I simply cannot do this anymore. Maybe more time with the tuba, or develop some new hobby I’m not even aware of as I write this. I am very aware of the fact that a lot of people suffer when I’m down in the dumps, like everyone around me! I owe it to them as well as myself to find something that brings me fulfillment as opposed to frustration, and happiness instead of sadness.”

3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

He also had a 2 months medical leave early in 2018, he also mentions "personal challenges" which many times means some kind of substance or alcohol issues maybe....either way its his business and he will be missed. Now we have lost Skip Waters and Greg is leaving so there are not many old timers left. 

16 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

He also had a 2 months medical leave early in 2018, he also mentions "personal challenges" which many times means some kind of substance or alcohol issues maybe....either way its his business and he will be missed. Now we have lost Skip Waters and Greg is leaving so there are not many old timers left. 

Just plain sigh...

9 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Just plain sigh...

The rest of the WRAL weather bench are pretty standard fare in terms of xs and os.  They show the end result/conclusions not the why behind the forecast logic.  What a huge loss.  Brad Panovich is too good to be at a third-place Charlotte news station - just sayin’.

2 hours ago, blueheronNC said:

The rest of the WRAL weather bench are pretty standard fare in terms of xs and os.  They show the end result/conclusions not the why behind the forecast logic.  What a huge loss.  Brad Panovich is too good to be at a third-place Charlotte news station - just sayin’.

I would love to see Matthew East at WRAL.

As far as Fishel resigning, it really is bizarre. He was gone for about a month this same time last year, and they said it was a medical leave. This sounds really bad, and whatever is going on interfered with his job. I wonder if it is alcohol or drug related. Whatever it is, I hope he gets the help he needs and gets better. This is just a tremendous loss for WRAL and weather geeks in the Triangle area. I grew up watching Fishel, and he was a big reason why I became so interested in the weather.