Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

This GFS Run was really close to an all out blizzard for Mid Atlantic. Really nasty for central and NW part of the sub verbatim. Fun times ahead.

The Winchester crew should be salivating at the GFS.  This will also make the panicked SNE weenies very happy too.  Bonafied blizzard up there.

• Like 3

Not buying it because I also fear ice or rain with this one, but get that to nudge just a little farther south and east and it's 2 feet here.

That’s why I said verbatim. The overall look screams a mix and that’s my feeling as well. The timing of the pressing arctic high will be the most important. You want to press the baroclinic ribbon far enough south so the surface low can cut under us. GFS does it enough to get snow at first, but once the low reaches our latitude, strong warm air advection off strong 850mb southeast flow generates nasty warm layer that runs back to the BR. You want that low to pass across Southern VA and exit at ORF to maintain a full snow profile. GFS would absolutely bring sub freezing temps west of bay, but that warm layer would crush a favorable snow environment. As is, it’s a high impact system with snow and ice and strong winds likely generating some power loss concerns. That’s something that will be on the table with this setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

You want to press the baroclinic ribbon far enough south so the surface low can cut under us. GFS does it enough to get snow at first, but once the low reaches our latitude, strong warm air advection off strong 850mb southeast flow generates nasty warm layer that runs back to the BR.

Despite the look screaming a mix,  do you think the Friday system evolves enough to further drag down the baroclinic zone to our South? 

I know this is a trantional time,  pattern-wise,  but just wondering what you think.    

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Despite the look screaming a mix,  do you think the Friday system evolves enough to further drag down the baroclinic zone to our South? 

I know this is a trantional time,  pattern-wise,  but just wondering what you think.    

I'm obviously not an expert, but unfortunately this setup to me does not scream big snowstorm for our area. I also feel like the zone is much more likely to lift up farther north than drag down farther south, but that's just me. I liked the look a little better a couple of days ago, as unrealistic as that probably was, to get the front through and then have a wave form and ride up and dump on us. Either way, we really never do well at the beginning of pattern changes.

I mean, it could, but the look to the north over the Atlantic is what’s leading to a pause in that occurring. If there was blocking, that would aid in having the low press south far enough and cutting off near our latitude. With a ridge, the system has more of an ability to cut closer to our latitude. The one thing we want is as strong of a high as possible to press the boundary just out of shear mgnitude. GFS was 1049 over Midwest before advancing eastward. The timing of the TPV progression is important too. Stars would need to align in order to get this to an all snow imo. I honestly think we end up with a snow to ice to snow west of the bay in this type of setup and apps get rocked with snow and a full out blizzard. Still a chance this fully cuts to our west, but ensemble guidances leans a little more southeast of the low progression, so I think that’s a better choice. This cold incoming means serious business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

I guess you haven't looked out the window in awhile. 

This wasn't really the beginning of the pattern change. Sure, it's not 45 or 50 and sunny or raining, but really the change is likely coming after this next storm (the magical January 20 date that has been talked about a lot).

Very hard to capture the spread in a single panel due to timing differences but this is a good visual on what i'm talking about

MuqLeWF.png

The gefs snow ouput is flawed and too high. Some of the big snow on the panels is not snow. Some of the tracks that produce snow in digital land would not do it in real land. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Might be hive mentality in play again but the 18z gefs definitely shifted towards favoring a colder/icier/snowier outcome next weekend. 

2m temp means never above freezing so yeah we take. Good start at this range. Let's get thurs-fri refresh appetizer then bring this step to the epic pattern home with a secs/mecs.

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, absolutely.  18z made positive changes with the TPV and High Pressures.  

Yea man, tpv is our ticket if it dives down enough. After today's overperformer i'm not anxious at all. It's a tricky setup with a path to victory. I honestly don't care about the midweek deal at all. If we maximize next weekend we'll all top climo in a week. Lol. Wut?!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea man, tpv is our ticket if it dives down enough. After today's overperformer i'm not anxious at all. It's a tricky setup with a path to victory. I honestly don't care about the midweek deal at all. If we maximize next weekend we'll all top climo in a week. Lol. Wut?!

That’s because you got rocked today. I got screwed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic