Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The problem is people see "pattern change" and automatically assume it's February 2015 or January 2011. It has become like pulling teeth to try and explain that a pattern change from an AK vortex to a -EPO where the cold dumps west first is a difference for the better but it still leaves us plenty susceptible to cutters...we can score in the new pattern but we're completely at the mercy of the atmospheric chaos in the northern stream. We can explain it a million times but as soon as that cutter shows up, there's always a vocal contingent that gets unhinged. 

Write..crap shoot. We've gone from no chance, to chance.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Where is this transition push back crap coming from? Its the unrealistic and misinformed perceptions that are pushed.  The anticipated seasonal progression has been the same since last fall.

So a few weeks ago I remember saying post 12/25 for a better look. Indeed we have a better look vs the last few weeks, but I also said the nuances in the flow just cannot be determined so we broad brush it by saying better look. I think some meant all systems go. When people like Kevin keep ignoring all the well thought out posts and throw shit against the wall with things like “no cutter” and “12/20 onward for change,” it misinforms people.  The fact of the matter is we have forcing for a building -EPO, but as Will and I said....the cold may dump west first and form warmer solutions for us. That’s what is happening. However, both ensembles and op runs have wintry chances until we get more of a +PNA. So while we may have a cutter or two, we will have some winter moments hopefully. I wasn’t kidding with 2014 analogy. It does seem like we have a better look after the first week of Jan.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The problem is people see "pattern change" and automatically assume it's February 2015 or January 2011. It has become like pulling teeth to try and explain that a pattern change from an AK vortex to a -EPO where the cold dumps west first is a difference for the better but it still leaves us plenty susceptible to cutters...we can score in the new pattern but we're completely at the mercy of the atmospheric chaos in the northern stream. We can explain it a million times but as soon as that cutter shows up, there's always a vocal contingent that gets unhinged. 

It’s funny if this is always the legit  assumption 

I don’t believe anyone thought anything remotely Feb 2015 or Jan 2011, was on horizon.

Is it assumed that if someone understands the pattern blows they won’t complain that a pattern that blows sucks , even by some magical power to be able to be smiling while they do. Seems more people just over-react TO negative posts during crap periods (even when the poster understands the patterns limitations and risks) :)

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

So a few weeks ago I remember saying post 12/25 for a better look. Indeed we have a better look vs the last few weeks, but I also said the nuances in the flow just cannot be determined so we broad brush it by saying better look. I think some meant all systems go. When people like Kevin keep ignoring all the well thought out posts and throw shit against the wall with things like “no cutter” and “12/20 onward for change,” it misinforms people.  The fact of the matter is we have forcing for a building -EPO, but as Will and I said....the cold may dump west first and form warmer solutions for us. That’s what is happening. However, both ensembles and op runs have wintry chances until we get more of a +PNA. So while we may have a cutter or two, we will have some winter moments hopefully. I wasn’t kidding with 2014 analogy. It does seem like we have a better look after the first week of Jan.

This December has gone exactly as I had anticipated...and I mean that. Both meteorologically and psychologically.

2014 is a nice general analog, but this December was better....we just didn't cash in.

• Like 1

I agree with Will should be auto inserted into some people’s posts. Lol Looks like we are pretty much on the cusp of snow season, right on schedule including a pretty solid chance at a White Christmas. If you want to contribute here you have to understand who is a condescending contributor and who is contributing solid ideas.  Will and Brian have forever been the 2 Mets who seem to have the best grasp on patterns, threats and now cast discussion. Ray certainly has proven his grasp of seasonal prediction is layers above most anyone here. I suggest if you want to learn here pay close attention to these 3 guys, they will steer you right. Best to ignore the noise and condescending attitude peeps. Putting yourself on a pedestal while making holier than thou posts brings this forum down. Sure some posters need reminders of science and posting style but it’s been sad that some professionals think it’s their position to belittle others while sticking their chests out. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I agree with Will

When we all agree, it should tell you something. By saying agree, it means you have a team of Mets in the same page and hopefully some people can have confidence in what is being posted. I say that all the time when I agree with ideas. I said that to Ray yesterday. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

When we all agree, it should tell you something. By saying agree, it means you have a team of Mets in the same page and hopefully some people can have confidence in what is being posted. I say that all the time when I agree with ideas. I said that to Ray yesterday. 

I agree with Will , peeps do the panic dance prior to every seasonal epoch. Don’t know who the we is you speak of. Merry White Christmas to you and yours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I agree with Will , peeps do the panic dance prior to every seasonal epoch. Don’t know who the we is you speak of. Merry White Christmas to you and yours. 

We, is speaking in general. There was no personal tone. Even though you told me to eff off, I still love me some Ginxy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well to some it doesn't matter if the pattern changes...they need sensible changes.  It either snows or it doesn't.  And if it rains from a cutter, it doesn't matter if the entire hemisphere changed orientation, it's still rain thus no pattern change.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Well to some it doesn't matter if the pattern changes...they need sensible changes.  It either snows or it doesn't.  And if it rains from a cutter, it doesn't matter if the entire hemisphere changed orientation, it's still rain thus no pattern change.  

Put me squarely in that camp. I could give a rat's ass how favorable December's pattern was.  Jack schitt is Jack schitt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Put me squarely in that camp. I could give a rat's ass how favorable December's pattern was.  Jack schitt is Jack schitt.

I agree, but it matters as far as diagnosing a pattern as favorable or unfavorable. In the future, I'd prefer a Dec 2018 composite to 2014.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

People ask about the pattern bc they want snow...I don't know that the perils of this pattern could have been articulated any more clearly than they were. The cold is there, but it dumps west, so we need good timing to avoid cutters. Its been said over and over that the very favorable period is later in Jan and beyond.

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

We had a super cold and snowy November,  so the rest of winter is going to be poop..... it's that simple. Blew our load too early. Sure there's years that were exceptions but on the whole if you have a cold snowy fall then you have a ratter winter. 

Evidence please.  I am pretty sure that cold snowy November has a good correlation to similar winters.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That kid has been allowed to troll in our threads for awhile. Doesn’t even live anywhere near NE

Is Connecticut NE, I live two miles from the border.  Just wondering.  I'm also not a "kid" and I have been on these forums since wright weather

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1