Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just looked at the 0z euro. Heh, yea...that kind of storm. Models all have a similar theme coming up. Surely not a long lead lock it up kind of deal but it's a pretty common type of setup for us to get some sort of snow event. 

Think a mixed slop event is probably favored, but all snow is certainly possible. So is all rain of course. 

But got to like the active pattern the first week of January either way.  

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Actually this one looks a bit different. Not a suppressed slider. It does come up the coast some but its a coastal scraper. Brings snow up to southern third of NJ.

Oh I’m just messing with Panic group. Seems that after the cutter goes and drags the boundary through and a wave rides it.

Just now, LP08 said:

Oh I’m just messing with Panic group. Seems that after the cutter goes and drags the boundary through and a wave rides it.

Yeah that's the general theme. Way out there. Could be a miss, a scraper, something like the 0z run, or yet another rainer(probably more likely). Definitely a period to watch, although it may be a week too soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah that's the general theme. Way out there. Could be a miss, a scraper, something like the 0z run, or yet another rainer(probably more likely). Definitely a period to watch, although it may be a week too soon.

I vote a Miss to the south, enough of the rain already :lol:

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Unless we take a step back..it happens I have seen it first hand

I guess you could describe it as a step back. Two of the last 3 runs are pretty meh if you are expecting the pattern to incrementally evolve more favorably each run or so. Not a fan of the EPAC look on today's 12z run in the LR compared to what was being advertised 4-5 runs ago. Looks like the blue ball wants to move back into the GOA after retrograding some. The NA look is ok, but not as impressive either. Nothing I am going to worry much about at this point. I think we will still get there- eventually.

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I guess you could describe it as a step back. Two of the last 3 runs are pretty meh if you are expecting the pattern to incrementally evolve more favorably each run or so. Not a fan of the EPAC look on today's 12z run in the LR compared to what was being advertised 4-5 runs ago. Looks like the blue ball wants to move back into the GOA after retrograding some. The NA look is ok, but not as impressive either. Nothing I am going to worry much about at this point. I think we will still get there- eventually.

I like mid month for the pattern to really lock in.  If we get to that point and the PAC is still meh with not much help from the Atlantic, I’ll start to get concerned.  Until then, I think everything is going along to how many predicted this winter would evolve.  

And with that said, any snow before 1/15 is a bonus IMO.  

18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think HM posted something on the MJO today, and the progression, will try to locate it, and if I find it will post it.  

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

12Z FV3 is a cutter but we start out as ice until surface gives out.  

Well without getting too emotional we are still punting about a month of winter if Jan15 is when things get going.  It would take a lot to make this an epic winter at this point unless things change.  

Just now, nj2va said:

I like mid month for the pattern to really lock in.  If we get to that point and the PAC is still meh with not much help from the Atlantic, I’ll start to get concerned.  Until then, I think everything is going along to how many predicted this winter would evolve.  

And with that said, any snow before 1/15 is a bonus IMO.  

Yeah this is where I am at too. The weeklies started to get good around Jan 8-10, and were pretty sweet by the 20th IIRC. Have to see what the next edition looks like. Hopefully it doesn't kick the can down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Well without getting too emotional we are still punting about a month of winter if Jan15 is when things get going.  It would take a lot to make this an epic winter at this point unless things change.  

Based on the analysis from the trusted vets on this board, I would be stunned if we don't score a modest event by Jan 10th.

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’ll snow (again) this winter, just be patient.  Most of the snowfall forecasts for DC (inside Beltway) were ~20-30” IIRC.  That seems to be on track based on the weeklies and seasonal models.  

Just now, Wonderdog said:

Based on the analysis from the trusted vets on this board, I would be stunned if we don't score a modest event by Jan 10th.

Hope so.  This warm/wet cold/dry is. It all that much fun.  I would have thought we’d be tracking by now...close to making a kill...we are wandering with our rifles aimlessly