• Member Statistics

    15,884
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WXMal4
    Newest Member
    WXMal4
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Baroclinic Zone

2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nah. We've already had melts. 

 

Btw, seems to have flown under the radar a little this morning that the 12z suite is amplifying the northern stream enough on Thursday to produce some accumulating snow. Not much, but an inch or two would break the drought in many spots. 

I know this is totally a poop post even for banter and I haven’t melted over anything snow related since Feb 2015...but the models started looking better JUST AS I got on this ******* train for work in DC and if my backyard gets an inch or two while I’m torching down here after the December we’ve lived...I might need a little bit of counseling. 

Other than that, still feeling great about winter. :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Can anyone here speak to the veracity of the Lincoln RI report of 55" in Feb '78? Seems awful high. Stationary deform band or something?

I've never really bought that one, probably a drifted report. But that pocket surely had 36-42".

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I've never really bought that one, probably a drifted report. But that pocket surely had 36-42".

Wasn't there 2 reports of 50+, one in Lincoln and 1 in Woonsocket? Overdone most likely, most impressive to me was the 4.5" w/e out of the Coop in North Foster RI. Once a day measurement, probably topped 40 there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wasn't there 2 reports of 50+, one in Lincoln and 1 in Woonsocket? Overdone most likely, most impressive to me was the 4.5" w/e out of the Coop in North Foster RI. Once a day measurement, probably topped 40 there too

Could still be some inflating of the w.e. with all of the drifting too. Those surface crystals must've been obliterated and really compacted in the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Could still be some inflating of the w.e. with all of the drifting too. Those surface crystals must've been obliterated and really compacted in the pack.

Yea IDK, Stacey is a stickler but that was the greatest problem, immovable stuff. Lol though at some of these Coops West Thompson CT Lake Coop had 24 inches with .5 W/E 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...I kind of loved 50F and no pack yesterday. Futility has lead to some great days to spend time outside. I love the forecasting and observing part of winter weather but if it could be 75F and all melt the day after that would be cool too. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I've never really bought that one, probably a drifted report. But that pocket surely had 36-42".

Amounts that differ greatly from nearby sites are suspect, which is why I wonder at the 40" reported for Dec. 6-7, 2003 at the Farmington co-op, even with a long-time and conscientious observer there.  The New Sharon co-op, 8.5 miles to the SE, reported 23", and 2 miles closer at my place had 24".  Farmington showed 14"/26" while NS co-op had all 23" by their 7 AM obs on the 7th.  I had 6/18, but record at 9 PM, at which time it was puking snow - a midnight obs would've meant something like 12/12, so that post-midnight 26" really stands out.  It was all powder and one of the windiest storms I've had here, 2nd only to Pi-Day '17, perhaps.  We were an hour late getting to church (had to basically sno-blow 2x thanks to stuff pouring over the auger housing) and the snow there - 1.5 miles from the 40" obs - looked about the same as at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 5:01 PM, tamarack said:

My wife sent me (on Facebook) an old newspaper pic showing a payloader between 14-ft walls of snow in West Farmington following the 43" dump in Feb 1969 that brought the depth to 84" at the co-op site closer to town.  Dream stuff.

I posted that pic on a thread here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds like Weymouth circa 2015

You did quite well as i recall, 1969 was big big winter here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds like Weymouth circa 2015

I was just down the street from your place this past Saturday looking at a couple new projects.  Streets by the water are really narrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I was just down the street from your place this past Saturday looking at a couple new projects.  Streets by the water are really narrow

Where abouts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh 69 was great for that storm here as well. 

Further west got kind of hosed on that one in SNE, In the past, I have used the NESIS for that storm as my avatar, All the eastern areas for NNE and SNE did quite well, Back west up here was good as too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Where abouts?

Ferncroft Road.  There is also a complete gut job under construction up on Trefton.  They're both just N of Weymouth Landing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for anyone who reports their precip to CoCoRaHS... @Ginx snewx @tamarack  

This is my first winter reporting to them and using a snowboard.  Tomorrow's event looks to start between 4-5AM.  I usually measure at or around 7AM.
If I measure and report tomorrow at 7AM, I will have to wipe the board clean (in order to report appropriately on Friday).  

However, wiping the snowboard after only 2 hours of snow could impact the accuracy of my total storm measurement.  
I'm inclined to measure and report at 5AM, as I'm sure there will only be a T, then take my storm total measurement when the snow stops mid-morning, and report that on Friday.  

Is that what others do for events with timing like this?  I did this for an event last week, but it looked like others took their usual 7AM reading, so my observation looked "wrong".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hoth said:

Can anyone here speak to the veracity of the Lincoln RI report of 55" in Feb '78? Seems awful high. Stationary deform band or something?

Try to figure it out this way.  If 38" at woonsocket RI is the official amount but saw 54" then the North Lincoln RI must be 39" based of it's 55" amateur observation.  It actually quite logical and goes with the majority of the surrounding areas of Northern Rhode Island.  North Foster Hill got 36" official, North Situate 37" official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Question for anyone who reports their precip to CoCoRaHS... @Ginx snewx @tamarack  

This is my first winter reporting to them and using a snowboard.  Tomorrow's event looks to start between 4-5AM.  I usually measure at or around 7AM.
If I measure and report tomorrow at 7AM, I will have to wipe the board clean (in order to report appropriately on Friday).  

However, wiping the snowboard after only 2 hours of snow could impact the accuracy of my total storm measurement.  
I'm inclined to measure and report at 5AM, as I'm sure there will only be a T, then take my storm total measurement when the snow stops mid-morning, and report that on Friday.  

Is that what others do for events with timing like this?  I did this for an event last week, but it looked like others took their usual 7AM reading, so my observation looked "wrong".

I would say measure at 7am. That's generally what they want. The other thing you could do is have 2 boards (or if yours is big enough just 1) and measure the liquid equivalent with one board and leave the other unwiped to let the compaction do its thing. With a large board you could maybe sneak a core sample from off the edge. Just make sure to subtract the liquid from your first sample from the final one from the second sample to get the amount of liquid for only part 2.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, once an obs time is chosen, one measures whatever is there and let the chips (or flakes) fall as they will.  I'm guessing that the places with midnight obs would do that for a storm that occurs 10P to 10A, despite the short time span for the 1st obs.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Ferncroft Road.  There is also a complete gut job under construction up on Trefton.  They're both just N of Weymouth Landing.

Oh Braintree? That’s where ferncroft is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.