• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

I wouldn't make fun of it though, either.

We discussed yesterday that wind is not a high confidence metric to guidance for, and that there is a "necessary" propensity to over warn the event. But the fact of the matter is, it was inherently low confidence so making fun of it is ..kind of aholey actually.

You have to warn people... Momentum mixing and Ekman resolution issues is far from well understood. There are scenarios that have occurred that appear to have the same input conditions that produced wind. 

Which we got anyway...there's a couple trees down around town (rt 2).  One of which was in my back yard actually...

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wouldn't make fun of it though, either.

We discussed yesterday that wind is not a high confidence metric to guidance for, and that there is a "necessary" propensity to over warn the event. But the fact of the matter is, it was inherently low confidence so making fun of it is ..kind of aholey actually.

You have to warn people... Momentum mixing and Ekman resolution issues is far from well understood. There are scenarios that have occurred that appear to have the same input conditions that produced wind. 

Which we got anyway...there's a couple trees down around town (rt 2).  One of which was in my back yard actually...

When a poster predicts a half million without power in this scenario-fun is what you make of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When a poster predicts a half million without power in this scenario-fun is what you make of it.

Ah ...gotcha -

I thought that was in general, but it was targeting a particular goof ball - right... Castigation should know no bounds then -

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That weak southern stream Miller A this next Friday is perhaps a little interesting to the winter enthusiasts. It is 'low probability' for occurrence - I repeat, low probability.

Though it is 5.5 days away and not really in the operational GFS' wheelhouse (if that particular model actually has a wheelhouse), it's been in every run cycle going back several at this point.  It's a complex interaction of major synoptic players giving a low probability for a light QPF, through a column that teeters with marginal cold.

As fleeting are the chances as that run-on sentence implies... now that the MLB season has finally clocked its final hurrah, and now that Halloween is at last passe (two of the utmost Meteorologically important metrics :) ) ... we should start to consider these isothermal/dynamic layouts. Just entering a better climatology for cool corrections.

Sort of an unrelated note ... I am wondering if the 00z Euro products didn't flush out properly.  I'm a freebie-reliant consumer, which means ...beggars can't be choosers. However, it seems those panels are unaltered comparing to the previous night's run. I'm wondering if the time change might have caused software at these host sites to slip out of sync. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That weak southern stream Miller A this next Friday is perhaps a little interesting to the winter enthusiasts. It is 'low probability' for occurrence - I repeat, low probability.

Though it is 5.5 days away and not really in the operational GFS' wheelhouse (if that particular model actually has a wheelhouse), it's been in every run cycle going back several at this point.  It's a complex interaction of major synoptic players giving a low probability for a light QPF, through a column that teeters with marginal cold.

As fleeting are the chances as that run-on sentence implies... now that the MLB season has finally clocked its final hurrah, and now that Halloween is at last passe (two of the utmost Meteorologically important metrics :) ) ... we should start to consider these isothermal/dynamic layouts. Just entering a better climatology for cool corrections.

Sort of an unrelated note ... I am wondering if the 00z Euro products didn't flush out properly.  I'm a freebie-reliant consumer, which means ...beggars can't be choosers. However, it seems those panels are unaltered comparing to the previous night's run. I'm wondering if the time change might have caused software at these host sites to slip out of sync. 

PSU Ewall didn't update.  Try Tropical Tidbits.