Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

16 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

the source region for the incoming air mass is not emanating from far eastern canada. 

The record cold has been building over Eastern Canada during the last 7-10 days. But this current +PNA spike is allowing a piece of it to surge south.

7th consecutive day of record #cold in Southern #Nunavut, this time extended into Northern Ontario, Quebec and Labrador as Arctic front moves south!#MeteoQC #ONwx #MBwx pic.twitter.com/PB7jyVrBak

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The record cold has been building over Eastern Canada during the last 7-10 days. But this current +PNA spike is allowing a piece of it to surge south.

7th consecutive day of record #cold in Southern #Nunavut, this time extended into Northern Ontario, Quebec and Labrador as Arctic front moves south!#MeteoQC #ONwx #MBwx pic.twitter.com/PB7jyVrBak

Global warming???   

Need some right about now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Global warming???   

Need some right about now

Next few days will be one of those rare occasions when the coldest departures in the Northern Hemisphere get focused into our area. Otherwise, it's mostly a sea of warm departures  across the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.

gfs_world-ced_t2anom_1-day.thumb.png.b9e46c8b7aa19a41f3f24772de6898d1.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weathermedic said:

A little over reaction or "reaction" from last Thursday:

From NYC Dept of Sanitation Twitter account:

More

A snow squall is in the forecast for NYC Wed. afternoon, with a coating to less than an inch of snow possible. Our salt spreaders are ready across the five boroughs, and we will pre-salt elevated areas & overpasses ahead of potential snow.

Yeah shocker! They're so predictable, instead of being proactive, they're reactive, and then they overreact. It's a lot of wasted resources for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

no snow squall warning from upton

I dont think it was needed, it was through so quickly, roads didnt even get covered for more than a minute or so. But for that short time it was very heavy, visibility was a few hundred feet. 

• Like 1

In eastern Bergen County the squall just came through and it was all snow even though RadarScope had it depicted as a mix. Anyone west of city, and the city may be included in that, will have heavy snow for 5 min if it continues to hold together

edit: now radarscope has it as all snow and it’s pretty robust. I think Upton should upgrade to a Snow Squall Warning for the whole area that the squall encompasses  

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, the city put down an incredible amount of salt on Broadway. Piles on each corner. It’s going to lovely when it’s blowing around tomorrow. I’m still in the process of doing the leaf cleanup here too. Not using a blower anywhere near that. CAA defenitly kicking in now...

lol i came to post the same thing. Salt/plow trucks driving around. If ppl blamed the city for the chaos we had then they gotta accept the salt storm for every chance of a flurry.

1-3" salt forecast overnight. Salt drifts in spots 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Next few days will be one of those rare occasions when the coldest departures in the Northern Hemisphere get focused into our area. Otherwise, it's mostly a sea of warm departures  across the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.

gfs_world-ced_t2anom_1-day.thumb.png.b9e46c8b7aa19a41f3f24772de6898d1.png

Didn't we have this same type of scenario in 2014?   I believe the "ice cube in a warm bath" analogy was used

12 hours ago, bluewave said:

ISP had 65.9 inches of snow last winter following the record cold last November around the area. While the 70's and 80's were a much colder era than the present, they had much less snowfall. So when we approach cold temperature records from that era, heavier 2010's snowfall climo must be used. ISP also had record cold in November 2014 with 63.7 of snow for the season.

Chris, we're getting much more precip now year round.  Even 1960s analogs should be used with caution.  I firmly believe we need to stick with 2000- as far as analogs are concerned.  2010-11 was the exception where we had to go to the deep past to find a moderate to strong la nina that was so blocky and snowy.

34 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

What?

It's not even winter yet

What I was trying to say was that it seems to me as though you have been on a bit of a hot streak seeing snowstorms before they materialize and when others discount the possibility---And I hope this doesn't continue this year---technically its not winter, I am aware, how about things changing back to a warm bias?