• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

Video out of New Bern showing surge, they say water is 3-4 ft higher than any previous surge on record there....at least thats what the man interviewed on local news said...from the footage this looks to easily be the case....

https://wcti12.com/news/local/hurricane-damage-from-the-eyewall-destroys-north-carolina-marina

This is the back creek bridge and Quarterdeck taken yesterday afternoon, the bridge ended up completely underwater....thats at least 12 ft of surge....

1239135031_backcreek.thumb.jpeg.a3cea2dd98f96ec13d972c172c107b86.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Radar has over 10-11” estimated SW of ILM and may be underdone. 

Getting a few CoCoRaHS reports this AM. The 14.25" is as of 8:30 AM and apparently may be an underestimate as the gauge was totally full at measurement time. Not sure where this lies in relation to the USGS gauges, but at least makes their totals more plausible. 

https://www.cocorahs.org/Admin/DataEntry/ViewDailyPrecipReport.aspx?DailyPrecipReportID=0b230c32-4195-46d8-b55b-670698c50688

2018&cp=0

Getting more gusts over 50 here in Lumberton in that band. Very impressive wind swept rain with a number of small branches down. Not seeing any significant structural damage. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Getting more gusts over 50 here in Lumberton in that band. Very impressive wind swept rain with a number of small branches down. Not seeing any significant structural damage. 

folks down there are in my thoughts.  I taught at UNCP for a few years and fell in love with the people and area there.  Praying you guys get spared the worst of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lot more damage reports coming into ILM now. @iembot_ilm is a great twitter account to follow.

• Thanks 1

Just now, pugsgirl13 said:

I'm in Greensboro N.C. Its really windy here. How bad do you think it will be? Should I worry?

Winds should remain more or less where they are right now for a long while. Flooding rains may be a concern, but totals over 6" should stay to our south and the higher terrain.

• Like 1

Anyone else seen the pics of Buxton on the sound side where all the water was blown as far as the eye could see. Can't seem to find it now.

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wind has continued to pick up here. Close to sustained TS wind at the airport. Max gust of 55 so far. 

What model anemometer are you using?

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What model anemometer are you using?

HoldPeak, which broke during the first band lol and just started working again. Wanted a Kestrel but couldn’t get it in time. Unless I say otherwise the wind numbers I post here are directly from KLBT which is a few miles away. Can’t eyeball wind but I’d say the conditions here are similar to that location.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

HoldPeak, which broke during the first band lol and just started working again. Wanted a Kestrel but couldn’t get it in time. Unless I say otherwise  the wind numbers I post here are directly from KLBT which is a few miles away. Can’t eyeball wind but I’d say the conditions here are similar to that location.

The airport just gusted to 61 mph...lol.  I'd say you got yourself an AWOS grade anemometer there son.

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The airport just gusted to 61 mph...lol.  I'd say you got yourself an AWOS grade anemometer there son.

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

HoldPeak, which broke during the first band lol and just started working again. Wanted a Kestrel but couldn’t get it in time. Unless I say otherwise the wind numbers I post here are directly from KLBT which is a few miles away. Can’t eyeball wind but I’d say the conditions here are similar to that location.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I said.

6 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

New Bern is just being drubbed by feeder bands.

that camera went underwater last night, so surge must have receded a little bit this AM. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, that’s exactly what I said.

Apologies...this thread is moving fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Meanwhile in Raleigh:

CC: @WidreMann

Saw a tree down on Atlantic Avenue on my way in to do a service call in Cary.  Power outages around TenTen and US1.

Radar estimates are already approaching 15"+ near Morehead City. That seems to be ground zero for the most intense banding so far. Been a constant fire hose for many hours now.

Tornado Reports (CSV) (Raw Tornado CSV)

TimeLocationCountyStateLatLonComments

14034 SSE MERRY HILLBERTIENC35967675PUBLIC SITED A TORNADO AND TREE DAMAGE WAS REPORTED OFF WINSTON FARM RD OFF OF NC 45 (AKQ)

14324 SSE MERRY HILLBERTIENC35967675PUBLIC SITED A TORNADO AND TREE DAMAGE WAS REPORTED OFF WINSTON FARM RD OFF OF NC 45 (AKQ)