• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Combination of dews and heat has been impressive.  The dews may have helped on a few occasions from realizing the true atmospheric potential on the thermometer in terms of triple digit heat hear in the valley, but the combo along with the tropical rains have certainly been impressive.  Next week looks hot regardless of how much of a door/ocean/cloud cover influence attempts to try to temper things.  Seasonal trend has been for that to be overplayed. Hopefully we see some more chamber weather 2nd half of the month.  Haven't looked at it much so that's more of a sentimental notion. Ready to start moving beyond this and start thinking about frost covered pumpkins and foliage.  

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I remember years ago when you’d see beginnings of fall color and leaves fading from deep green to faded now. This year as in ones recently ,, there’s no color and everything is deep green like mid July. All over New England. Times have changed 

Glad we don't live there.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup, get a couple rounds in tomorrow and Saturday before the dewy 90s return. 

36 yesterday, two courses. took a motorized cart which i normally don't do. I am a pushcart mafia guy. Playing in a motorized cart when your used to walking is not even like work. The last nine was with cloudcover so not bad at all.

19 minutes ago, S&P said:

36 yesterday, two courses. took a motorized cart which i normally don't do. I am a pushcart mafia guy. Playing in a motorized cart when your used to walking is not even like work. The last nine was with cloudcover so not bad at all.

Well done. Scores? I’m a carry my own bag guy but some courses or days the carts are necessary. 

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

Not ignoring it here...8th hottest, despite the 20th-27th being below normal.  That's a break in the "constant" heat and high dp's in my book.  I guess if you want to ignore those stretches, it has been constant.  Even worse than the 30 day stretch in 2013.

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

In my area it has been the hottest and most humid August on record. Iron clad 

lol, clown.

In 2013 I had over 30 straight days of high dews...this summer I've managed several stretches of 7 or 8 days.  It has not been constant though.  24 out of the past 62 days averaged BN...how can that be if it's been brutal except for several days in July?  I'm not pretending that I haven't put up two top 10 warmest months or had constant stretches of high dp's but I'm not going to ignore the empirical data that I've had breaks for several days or even a week at a time.

I’m going by first order stations. It’s been one of the hottest and most humid July-Aug ever. Even if temps were hotter in other years, the incessant dews have added another metric that has been unprecedented.

In 2013 I had over 30 straight days of high dews...this summer I've managed several stretches of 7 or 8 days.  It has not been constant though.  24 out of the past 62 days averaged BN...how can that be if it's been brutal except for several days in July?  I'm not pretending that I haven't put up two top 10 warmest months or had constant stretches of high dp's but I'm not going to ignore the empirical data that I've had breaks for several days or even a week at a time.

It's because the temperatures tell less of the story this summer! A high of 77 with a dew point of 74 still feels hot and uncomfortable. A lot of the days with negative departures did NOT have that 'cool' feeling. Like this morning it is 73 in NYC and it feels like fall because the dews dropped off. JFK has had 34 days with a dew point of 75 or higher. We have had very few days (really if any) in July and August with a dew point in the 50s. With a pregnant wife all summer, I can tell you that our cool days have seemed sticky to her. But yes we have had some breaks. This morning though just feels strange to me. It is funny how the body can just adjust. Although the one thing I wish I could control is how much sweat the body decides to produce when I have to walk between buildings etc. I just wish I could say "body I'm going right back into the AC, calm yourself".

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I remember years ago when you’d see beginnings of fall color and leaves fading from deep green to faded now. This year as in ones recently ,, there’s no color and everything is deep green like mid July. All over New England. Times have changed 

It's impressive that you've been able to visit all over New England to check on the colors.   :rolleyes:
Missed my yard, however, where the white birch by our driveway is doing its usual early-color act.  Also the red maples by the pool down the rod, also...

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

lol...just last year the leaves were changing well ahead of schedule because of the cool weather and then paused as it got warmer.  Besides, you need to get out more.  There's plenty of those early changing trees showing some color.  Not a lot, but they are there.

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

lol...just last year the leaves were changing well ahead of schedule because of the cool weather and then paused as it got warmer.  Besides, you need to get out more.  There's plenty of those early changing trees showing some color.  Not a lot, but they are there.

He probably hasn't  left CT but he knows the leaf color situation in all of New England. Smartest man in the room...…...

#Making Toolland Great Again

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m going by first order stations. It’s been one of the hottest and most humid July-Aug ever. Even if temps were hotter in other years, the incessant dews have added another metric that has been unprecedented.

Even if I look at first order stations, I still see July 2013 as having a longer more sustained period of higher dp's.  That was like an entire month without a break so the recent bouts with higher dp's as impressive as they are for repeated bouts over the past couple of months has happened before.  I don't how anyone can just brush off that 30 day period of constant humidity and dp's in the upper 60s and low 70s and say that the past couple of months blows that out of the water.  If we didn't have the week long breaks I'd say sure but the data is what the data is.

14 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Even if I look at first order stations, I still see July 2013 as having a longer more sustained period of higher dp's.  That was like an entire month without a break so the recent bouts with higher dp's as impressive as they are for repeated bouts over the past couple of months has happened before.  I don't how anyone can just brush off that 30 day period of constant humidity and dp's in the upper 60s and low 70s and say that the past couple of months blows that out of the water.  If we didn't have the week long breaks I'd say sure but the data is what the data is.

I was looking at several stations around southern New England and the amount of hours spent above 70° dewpoint blows anything out of the water.