Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Old Chevy Novas in the backyard rusting out even without any rain.

My 1st new car was  '69 Nova coupe, and it provided many adventures, some better than others.  Drove it a bit over 100K, not all that common back then, then sold it to a logger from St. Francis in 1976, because the body rust had made it un-inspectable.  Put in a good heater-hose engine warmer just before we moved to Ft. Kent, so it started right up at -41 on 1/12/76.  While driving thru town the speedometer cable began to screech and the needle buried itself beyond the 120-mph mark.

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:
12:45 91.4 69.8 75.8 49 6.9   N 29.93   29.98 Partly Cloudy

12:45 33.0 21.0 24.3 49 3.1   N 1013.67   1015.24 Partly Cloudy 16.09

C-ock-a-dew-doodle dewin it!

That's just unfathomable haha.  

New England has it all.  From jacket weather and afternoon temps more like late September up north to full on July torch down south.

Even the blowtorch site at BTV is only 67/54 right now.  Montpelier at a hot 65F at 1pm.

When that high pressure pivots to E of 360/due N kicks the llv wind into the E that's going to be an abrupt change.   Thicknesses and 850 mb temp would still provide for a warm-ish day otherwise, tomorrow ...Saturday but, with that trajectory coming fresh off the Labrador its going to make the low levels disproportionately cool relative to the mid levels. 

The soundings should be pretty steeply inverted E of the Berkshires tomorrow....  

All told... sort of as Scott just commiserated, it's really just a break in an over all inferno of a pattern ...certainly for so late in the year. 

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We will be driving up to BTV tomorrow.  Will be warmer there vs here I think.

Yup...  This is SNE's unique privilege in these sort of underbelly jobs ...we get fisted by the Labrador conveyor .. 

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it almost looks like a cool air seclusion at some point, with the gradient weak and tending to tip back SW of NNE... they'll warm up substantially compared to the plagued E torment that's jammed all the way to Kevin's

This is really not much different than April frustration - where the high'll be half way to England yet still reaching a tentacle back west across the Atlantic refusing turn off the hose that fills the cold pool of SNE..

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup...  This is SNE's unique privilege in these sort of underbelly jobs ...we get fisted by the Labrador conveyor .. 

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it almost looks like a cool air seclusion at some point, with the gradient weak and tending to tip back SW of NNE... they'll warm up substantially compared to the plagued E torment that's jammed all the way to Kevin's

This is really not much different than April frustration - where the high'll be half way to England yet still reaching a tentacle back west across the Atlantic refusing turn off the hose that fills the cold pool of SNE..

Tomorrow is 75-80 in CT  with dews 60-65. A warmish day . Coolest is east of ORH

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We will be driving up to BTV tomorrow.  Will be warmer there vs here I think.

Definitely not today though lol.  Tomorrow  sunny and low dew high of 73F at BTV.  No better weather.

Dipped to 59F here at the base of the ski resort now.

Amazing gradient.

IMG_0453.thumb.PNG.a5607c64271b7ffa3d1c8c34b6f7afc7.PNG

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tomorrow is 75-80 in CT  with dews 60-65. A warmish day . Coolest is east of ORH

Mmm... don't be shocked if what you just described there is more Saturday...

Tomorrow?   ...that may be surprisingly homogeneously mix with (cool marine contamination+ shot across the bow polar air)/2

Or not - just have to wait and see

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Up here in Northern New Hampshire Lancaster. Overcast and very cool. I don't have my thermometer but people have sweaters I'm guessing in the low 60s with the low dews it definitely feels very chilly. 

Meh.. 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-48-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

I suspect you got some up slope/diabatic cooling going on because that description appears pretty confined -

39 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh.. 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-48-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

I suspect you got some up slope/diabatic cooling going on because that description appears pretty confined -

63/56 in Lancaster right now. Most of Coos is overcast and u50s/l60s.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There is definitely a sneaking BD involved in this... 

You can see it calving west on both sat and rad over eastern sections right now... 

It's worth noting because it's a different air mass really -

Quich shift in BOS

18:25 80.6 69.8 72.9 70 15.0   ENE 29.99   30.01 Partly Cloudy 10.00               OK
18:20 82.4 69.8 73.4 66 16.1   ENE 29.99   30.01 Partly Cloudy 10.00               OK
18:15 84.2 69.8 73.9 62 13.8   ENE 29.99   30.01 Partly Cloudy 10.00               OK
18:10 91.4 68.0 74.7 47 9.2   NNE 29.98   30.00 Partly Cloudy 10.00          

Euro says not so fast on the big warm up returning for next week... 

It's probably full of schit with it's amplitude bias over SE Canada ...  giving it the benefit of the doubt/conversation, it's jams BD or N-door front after front up under those stellar heights and pretty much locks NE out of the anomaly more than half the time.. 

we'll see

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

There is definitely a sneaking BD involved in this... 

You can see it calving west on both sat and rad over eastern sections right now... 

It's worth noting because it's a different air mass really -

Yup, that's what's making the temp /dews drop every so often.  It's waffling around the area so the winds are variable. Once they turn easterly, the temp drops a few degrees,

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Euro says not so fast on the big warm up returning for next week... 

It's probably full of schit with it's amplitude bias over SE Canada ...  giving it the benefit of the doubt/conversation, it's jams BD or N-door front after front up under those stellar heights and pretty much locks NE out of the anomaly more than half the time.. 

we'll see

it's been doing this all summer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Same for my dad!  Those were clunkers.  If you got anything wetter than pure powder they’d jam.

Dad got a better one in the late 1960s, so we'd take the old beast onto the ice to clear away room for hockey.  Spout was quite wide, so we didn't have the clogging problems that dogged many other 1st-generation machines.

Dews in Augusta area hanging tough near 60 (lots nicer than 70s, however) while upstate it's low 50s TD.  Might bag another 40s low tomorrow - would be #7, only 2 fewer than average, a bit surprising for what will be the 3rd warmest August of 21 here.  Having 10 days with minima 60+, twice my average, makes it less surprising.